Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

It has been three half days of nerve racking nail pounding.The guys would arrive just about the time the sky was light enough to see and get right to work. However they would have to quit around 11:30 AM due to the intense heat. There was some damaged wood over the garage and a new truss had to be put in somewhere else but my insurance covered almost everything. I had to pay a $500.00 dollar deductible and the additional cost only came to $130.00.. woo hoo. The installation is guaranteed for 10 years and the shingles have a lifetime guarantee and are to withstand winds up to 135 mph. That is what I need. From the first year I moved here I have had repeated wind damage done in the same areas. The design of the house creates a vortex when the wind comes in from the south and west. Also the original contractor had set his nail gun too shallow which caused the shingles to come loose more quickly. I can relax now and concentrate on other things now. Teddi was a real sweetie through the whole thing. I was afraid he would freak out with the constant noise but after the first hour or so on the first day he seemed to settle down an accept it.. I am grateful for that.

Have tried to be frugal and use up what I have on hand but did mess up big time due to fatigue.. Not up to giving details right now..
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, so glad to hear that your roof is complete, you were able to pay for it yourself (I know how important that is), and that Teddi was not too traumatized by all the noise. I too love the Budget Bytes site. I have not made a single thing that has not turned out extremely tasty. I made the Creamy Coconut Curry Lentils with Spinach earlier in the week. It was good, but I tried a different brand of curry powder, and do not like it as well as the last brand that I had. Other than that, the recipe was great. I also made the Curried Roasted Carrots and Naan on the site as sides. Sorry to hear about your blunder, hope it is not too bad.

Been busy reading and hanging out at home. Enjoying my last few free days before starting back for the new school year. Revamped my daily and weekly cleaning schedule as well as my shopping and cooking routine. Things just were not working as well as I would like. I am also not going to be tutoring on Saturdays any longer. When school is happening, I do not get any mornings to just hang out in my pajamas enjoying my coffee since I work Monday- Friday and then tutor first thing Saturday morning, and teach Sunday school during first service on Sundays. It is not a big deal during the summer, plus I tend to tutor him during the week, but I long for a morning to just hang out at home. I have wanted to give it up for a while now, but I did not want to leave them in a bind. Now that his siblings are old enough for school, Mom needs someone that is available during the week, which I am not. So, the Saturday morning no longer works for them either.

That is about it from this part of Florida. I made pizza for dinner, so off to enjoy that.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:18 pm Janet, so glad to hear that your roof is complete, you were able to pay for it yourself (I know how important that is), and that Teddi was not too traumatized by all the noise. I too love the Budget Bytes site. I have not made a single thing that has not turned out extremely tasty. I made the Creamy Coconut Curry Lentils with Spinach earlier in the week. It was good, but I tried a different brand of curry powder, and do not like it as well as the last brand that I had. Other than that, the recipe was great. I also made the Curried Roasted Carrots and Naan on the site as sides. Sorry to hear about your blunder, hope it is not too bad.

Been busy reading and hanging out at home. Enjoying my last few free days before starting back for the new school year. Revamped my daily and weekly cleaning schedule as well as my shopping and cooking routine. Things just were not working as well as I would like. I am also not going to be tutoring on Saturdays any longer. When school is happening, I do not get any mornings to just hang out in my pajamas enjoying my coffee since I work Monday- Friday and then tutor first thing Saturday morning, and teach Sunday school during first service on Sundays. It is not a big deal during the summer, plus I tend to tutor him during the week, but I long for a morning to just hang out at home. I have wanted to give it up for a while now, but I did not want to leave them in a bind. Now that his siblings are old enough for school, Mom needs someone that is available during the week, which I am not. So, the Saturday morning no longer works for them either.

That is about it from this part of Florida. I made pizza for dinner, so off to enjoy that.
Momof 2.. I had to laugh at myself after I went to the Budget Bytes site and looked at the recipe and found it interesting. Then later on I was going through my e-mails and realized I had subscribed to the site already and had e-mails from there. Silly me..lol. I do not always open up every one due to the volume. However I do want to make the curried lentil an spinach dish soon.

I love Indian food. When I was a traveling therapist one of my neighbors was from India. She use to make the most wonderful food and invite me to dinner. We went to the Chicago area one week-end to visit her family. Her sister made the most delightful meal. I use to hate cilantro I thought it tasted like soap.. I read somewhere you either love cilantro or think it taste like soap..lol. Anyway I asked her for her recipe for mint chutney.. I had to laugh since basically it was a lot of cilantro with a tiny bit of mint and the rest was yogurt.The chutney changed my taste buds and I love cilantro in a lot of different ethnic dishes from other countries as well as India.

It would be nice to have the morning off on Saturdays to relax after a busy week at work. Glad you will be doing so.

Enjoy you last few days of your summer vacation.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I had a rough week with the intense heat and the three days of roof installation. My aide was unable to go shopping for me due to all of the exists from my house, except the basement, were covered with shingles they were scraping off of the roof. The basement exit was not an option since she would have to climb a small hill to get out to where her car was located.. So late afternoon I went shopping for much needed food.. I went to Big Lots, Dollar Tree, and then our local chain grocery store to pick up a rotisserie chicken. I was pleased that by combining store rewards ($2.00) and ($3.00) from a survey the chicken only cost me $1.46 out of pocket. I was exhausted due to the severe heat 110 F heat index and the morning of unending nail pounding and power tools etc. So I came home and cut some of the chicken up for Teddi and added rice and he scarfed it right down. I was too tired to eat a meal so decided to rest. I fell asleep for a couple of hours. When I woke up it was 7:00 PM and I thought I better eat since I am a diabetic and had not eaten properly. I had eaten the meaty part of the two chicken wings and a small slice of breast when I made Teddi's food but that was all. I made a sandwich and took my medicine but was too tired to put things away and thought after I eat I will do so. I did not realize how tired I was and I must have fallen asleep right after my last bite of food. I slept until 2:30 AM.. Bummer the chicken and mayo were left out on the counter all that time. There was no way they could be saved and used. So money down the drain..plus I had plans for that chicken for the rest of the week and week-end. From now on what is taken out of the fridge is returned as soon as I get what I need from it. The actual cost out of pocket for the chicken was only $1.46 but the lost of so much food potential is what hurt. Also a fairly new jar of mayo had to be tossed. Lesson learned.
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet- that is a bummer about the food. I hate when I do things like that. I know I often buy way too much fresh veggies for me to eat, and I then stress over using them before they go bad. I often feel as though I am playing catch-up with veggies so they do not go to waste which is why I revamped my grocery shopping and cooking. I will let you know how it goes.

Oh, be careful with your car and nails from the roofing job- or should I say from when they pulled the old shingles off. I know they were probably good about cleaning up, but there can be a stray nail that will puncture your tire if not careful.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Janet, momo is right. Be careful of nails. I found them all around the yard for almost a year. Scary and expensive to get one in a tire.