Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

I don't use the ac in my car regularly and I live in hot Florida. I try to schedule driving in the morning before it gets really hot. I know what you mean about the gremlins though. Never know what they will hit next. Sorry to hear that Teddi is refusing food again.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Working on my Aug budget and have been able to squeeze some money from areas that are not set in stone. My AT&T long distance is a joke. Anything over 8 miles is considered long distance.. hello I live in the country..gggrrr. However have cut back on calling my bank as often as I was since that was the main calling area. Was keeping a check on things through voice updates since I have had my account hacked twice. Have also been notified by two different companies that their computers were hacked and some of my information may have been hacked..One was a Drs office and another was an online gluten free food company. Both have offered free fraud protection for 1 year. However my account was hacked twice before I was notified. My main concern was someone stealing the insurance money that was in my account for the roof replacement. That has cleared so the stress is less. My bank did restore the funds that were stolen from my account. Also was able to save a good bit of money from my water bill $15.00. Yesterday I did some cherry picking at the grocery store and due to items that were bought on sale saved $27.00.
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet- sorry to hear about your air conditioner on your car. I do not use mine. I am pretty much always freezing, unless at home, so I am happy to get into my warm car to thaw out. I live in Florida, so it is usually warm in the car, especially in the summer. I tend to roll the window down if I start to get warm although it is usually just for the movement of air.

Good job on saving that much money on food. It is getting harder and harder to save money at the grocery store.
----
Good morning. It has been a while since I posted. I spent my last week of summer vacation cooking and freezing food that I bought (over bought) and was in danger of having to toss if not used. Also, read/reread a few books (educational) to get back in the grove of reading for work purposes and not just for enjoyment.

I now have part of a loaf of savory quick bread along with 2 bags of shredded zucchini and yellow squash frozen (to make more bread in the future) and two bags of cherry pie filling frozen. I made soy glazed eggplant and then needed to find a recipe to use the other half of the eggplant. Since I also had some tomatoes that needed using, along with zucchini and yellow squash, I made Ratatouille. To make the Ratatouille, I needed a Marinara sauce, so made that and have a container of the unused sauce in the freezer for later. I made a recipe of French bread and divided the dough into four portions and froze three of them, so the few times I need bread, I can just pull the dough out to thaw (providing I remember in time). I cannot eat two loaves of bread, so I am hoping this is a solution.

I tried out my revamped daily schedule (to include exercise tape in addition to walking after work) and it is certainly doable. Of course, I also was not tired from being at work all day, so hopefully with that in the equation it will still be doable. While cleaning and reorganizing, I also took inventory of my food supply. With that in mind, I also worked on a plan to use what I have and remind my self that when I go to the grocery store that I am ONE person and to not purchase items as though I were feeding a small army (or family of 4). I think grocery shopping and cooking has been to biggest adjustment that I struggle with since getting divorced and my kiddos growing up and leaving home- but I am working on it. In the meantime, I certainly will not starve.

My summer vacation just seemed to fly by, but I think time is flying by regardless. I am very thankful that I did get my home deep cleaned and reorganized over the break along with getting to visit with family and friends. Anyway, I am ready (or as ready as I will ever be) for the new school year. The next two weeks will be training and getting the classroom ready for the students. Well, off to put my lunch in my lunch bag and go.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:40 am Janet- sorry to hear about your air conditioner on your car. I do not use mine. I am pretty much always freezing, unless at home, so I am happy to get into my warm car to thaw out. I live in Florida, so it is usually warm in the car, especially in the summer. I tend to roll the window down if I start to get warm although it is usually just for the movement of air.

Good job on saving that much money on food. It is getting harder and harder to save money at the grocery store.
----
Good morning. It has been a while since I posted. I spent my last week of summer vacation cooking and freezing food that I bought (over bought) and was in danger of having to toss if not used. Also, read/reread a few books (educational) to get back in the grove of reading for work purposes and not just for enjoyment.

I now have part of a loaf of savory quick bread along with 2 bags of shredded zucchini and yellow squash frozen (to make more bread in the future) and two bags of cherry pie filling frozen. I made soy glazed eggplant and then needed to find a recipe to use the other half of the eggplant. Since I also had some tomatoes that needed using, along with zucchini and yellow squash, I made Ratatouille. To make the Ratatouille, I needed a Marinara sauce, so made that and have a container of the unused sauce in the freezer for later. I made a recipe of French bread and divided the dough into four portions and froze three of them, so the few times I need bread, I can just pull the dough out to thaw (providing I remember in time). I cannot eat two loaves of bread, so I am hoping this is a solution.

I tried out my revamped daily schedule (to include exercise tape in addition to walking after work) and it is certainly doable. Of course, I also was not tired from being at work all day, so hopefully with that in the equation it will still be doable. While cleaning and reorganizing, I also took inventory of my food supply. With that in mind, I also worked on a plan to use what I have and remind my self that when I go to the grocery store that I am ONE person and to not purchase items as though I were feeding a small army (or family of 4). I think grocery shopping and cooking has been to biggest adjustment that I struggle with since getting divorced and my kiddos growing up and leaving home- but I am working on it. In the meantime, I certainly will not starve.

My summer vacation just seemed to fly by, but I think time is flying by regardless. I am very thankful that I did get my home deep cleaned and reorganized over the break along with getting to visit with family and friends. Anyway, I am ready (or as ready as I will ever be) for the new school year. The next two weeks will be training and getting the classroom ready for the students. Well, off to put my lunch in my lunch bag and go.
Momof2 glad you were able to get some food prepped and in the freezer. Your soy glaze eggplant and ratatouille sound so yummy.

I had to laugh when you mentioned your exercise program. I started an exercise program and it lasted one day...lol. I do hope you have better success.

It does seem like this summer is flying by. Good luck with getting everything ready for your new school year in your new school.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Looks like another month will soon be behind us. I managed to get a new roof and only had to pay $630.00 out of pocket. My deductible was $500.00 and the $130.00 was for replacement of sheeting (2)and one truss which my insurance did not cover. Also my brother had them put in some kind of new roofing venting system. They had to remove the old vents replace the holes with wood and then the new venting system. That was all covered under my $500.00 deductible. I now have a snug roof that is guaranteed for life and workmanship guaranteed for 10 years. It will withstand winds up to 135 mph.. I cannot tell you how many times I have had roof damage since I moved here so it if a relief to have this concern off of my radar every time we have a storm.

Teddi was sick in June and cost over $500.00 in medical bills that were unexpected and I am still whimpering over that. He also had to have his tag, and rabies shots this month and then his usual food, flea, and heart worm medicine which were a big chunk. I try to budget per month for these these things but with him being ill I had to use what was saved towards his medical bills. Thank goodness I managed to save some money for an emergency fund but now need to try to rebuild it. I need to pay property taxes and since I pay them in installments used some of that to pay the $500.00 deductible so a little bit behind but should be able to play catch up this month and next. I am trying to rework my budget but it hard to find where the budget can be budged..
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:46 amTeddi was sick in June and cost over $500.00 in medical bills that were unexpected and I am still whimpering over that. He also had to have his tag, and rabies shots this month and then his usual food, flea, and heart worm medicine which were a big chunk.
Our beast goes to the vet for the annual thing tomorrow, she needs 6 months of heartguards, too. Hopefully it won't be too pricey, I can't remember last year's $.

She may need another chip, when I went to update our address info on the one she has now the provider's website was just *poof* - GONE. If he can't do anything about it (if the company went out of business) I guess the only option is another one. Poor dog.