Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:32 pm

I went in to town to buy some TP, a chicken for Teddi, and some calamine lotion for my poison ivy. Bought a better brand of medicine for the poison ivy it cost more than plain calamine. However it stated it gave 8 hours of relief and helps to dry it up faster..It seems to be better with just one application. I might still call a Dr tomorrow since the rain storms are postponed to later in the evening. The thing is it takes poison ivy 2 to 3 weeks to go away using OTC and it is going to cost more than I can afford to keep up with the OTC lotion. My dermatologist told me not to bother with OTC steroid cream he said you are just throwing your money away. Also it is costing a fortune to keep washing everything so often..

While at the grocery store I did swing through the gluten free section and found whole grain gluten free bagels on sale 5 for $ 3.00. That was too good of a bargain to pass up. Also bought a box of regular toasted ravioli on sale. I want to try it out in my air fryer to see how they come out and then will make some gluten free in the near future. The gluten based ones will give me a baseline for a comparison. Also picked up 18 ct extra large eggs to use with some of my gluten free recipes.

Went to Dollar Tree and bought 3 bags of their frozen blueberries.. That will get me through a lot of baked goods and some for snacking. Speaking of snacking I also bought a couple of canisters of Stax. I use them like crackers for when I have tuna fish salad or egg salad.

I used my air fryer to toast the bagel. It worked out well. My toaster broiler oven died and this went very well in the air fryer. I had a chicken sandwich for a late lunch and two bowls of my vegetable beef soup for brunch. I skipped dinner except for another toasted bagel with a smear of cream cheese (.79 Cents) and a dab of strawberry jam. I question the jam. It is from Smucker's. It states seedless jam but I wonder if it could be just juice thickened. Anyway I am going to wait until we get in to good strawberry season and I will buy some organic strawberries and can my own jam.

While at Dollar General, where I bought my TP and poison ivy lotion, I picked up a can of enchilada sauce, a bottle of lemon pepper, and Pupperoni for Teddi. He has been out of treats for quite a while and I have been saving money on his dog food by buying a chicken for him instead of his usual fresh dog food so I had extra money in his budget. The rotisserie chicken is on special this week $4.99 starting on Thursday for three days. I am going to buy 2 and take the meat off of the bones and portion it out and put it in the freezer. It will be nice to be able to just grab a packet of chicken to fix something for Teddi or a meal for myself. I do prefer chicken over beef.

I have not crunched the numbers yet but will post what I bought with the $15.00 I used from Pine Cone survey's and the rest was slush fund money.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed May 01, 2019 8:56 am

I stopped at dollar tree for cards(2 for a dollar) and I considered buying a bag of their frozen peppers. Fresh peppers are pretty expensive here and I am not getting much from the garden, since I didn't plant any new pepper plants. The old ones get tired after about 3 years. It is considered to be too hot now to grow green peppers, so I will wait until late summer to start them. I have some frozen vegetables and canned vegetables to use up. Doing a use up at this time. Glad you mentioned soup. Think I will make some to go with tonight's dinner.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:25 am

I have been dealing with a severe case of poison ivy. It is all I can do to keep up with the laundry.. Everything has to washed 3 times in hot soapy water.. I also have to wash the areas where the poison ivy is twice daily and then add an ointment.. Also have so many areas to take care of I can go through 8 wash cloths twice daily. I am not looking forward to my water and electric bills for this month. I had greatly reduced my water bill the last couple of months but I think this month will exceed my planned usage.

My brother found a highly recommended roofing company to give me a bid for a new roof. The bid is much more than what the insurance company is giving me.. My brother told me not to worry about the extra cost he will pay it. However he is going to call several other companies to get bids.

Food wise I am trying to stretch every thing. I did a quick check in my emergency pantry and found at least 3 huge cans of dried diced peaches.Due to my peach crop failure this year these will work out well for me. I hate to throw anything away so I have been saving the juice from my store bought fruit and finally found a use for it. I am going to use it to make mini peach pie's or peach crisp's. I have tiny little pie pans that I can bake the pies in.. The juice is all fruit juice based. It will add a lot of flavor to the hydrated peaches without adding sugar. I will have some money for groceries but was disappointed that I cannot buy fresh foods from Walmart using my gift cards. I have done well eating my emergency food to help stretch my food budget. There are other things I have done but right now too tired to write things down.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon May 06, 2019 6:41 am

I so enjoy your inspiring frugal posts. Thank you.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:26 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:41 am
I so enjoy your inspiring frugal posts. Thank you.
Thanks Dg. You give me inspiration with all of the outside plans that you are working on. I wish I could do more things outside like you do.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 pm

I did not buy the chickens that were on sale for 4.99. I overlooked the fact that you need to spend $25.00 to get the sale price. However I did buy a couple of chickens at the regular price.. They cost less than Teddi's regular fresh dog food. I combine rice (free) with the chicken to make his food. I tried sneaking in some cooked carrots but he ate carefully around them and I guess when it forgot they were veggies he would spit them out on the floor..lol. I have had several meals with them as well using them in my salads.Made a really nice big bowl of chicken broth simmering the leftover bones and skin for 24 hours in my crock pot.

I thawed out some refried beans and soft corn tortillas and made cheese and bean enchilada yesterday for Cinco de Mayo. I used canned sauce but have found a recipe for next time that will be cheaper made from scratch and probably more tasty. I made enough to have three meals from the one casserole.Amazing how something so easy to make and fairly cheap tasted so good.

I also made some gluten free donuts from a mix. I have had the mix for quite a while thinking I would make them for a special morning breakfast like Christmas or New Years day. Of course I never got around to making them. So I bit the bullet and whipped them up. I admit I am not a good cook but do try.. The donuts were in the oven and were getting very large and I though hhmmm maybe I should have made 12 instead of 6 donuts. Yep.. I really need to read all of the details when doing things..lol.. Anyway when they came out they were still too moist in the center even though I had baked them for a longer period of time. So I cut them in half long ways and put them in the oven to bake longer. Then of course they were like hockey pucks.. I had hydrated some strawberries the night before so I broke a half of a donut in to small bite size pieces and used them as a base to make strawberry short cake. Really yummy.

I made rice for Teddi's meals and decided to use some to make vegetarian fried rice for my breakfast several days. I used a handful of onion and pepper stir fry veggies from Dollar Tree. I added an egg (.06 cents). The rice was free and the peppers/onion were $1.00 but I still have a lot left so maybe .20 cents worth. Added a little garlic and soy sauce. So a nice change of taste that was really frugal. For lunch today I had a nice salad with some of the chicken added in as protein. Enchiladas and strawberry shortcake for dessert for lunch and dinner.

I am having to spend a lot of money on laundry detergent due to all of the extra laundry due to my poison ivy.. I went through a 32 oz bottle of All free and clear since Friday.. Yikes. My Drs office ordered more ointment for my poison ivy.. I have three tubes and she wants me to use it twice a day for 30 days. I have to wash everything that comes in contact with my poison ivy so I use about 16 wash cloths per day. I do not use the same wash cloth every where and things have to washed 3 times in hot soapy water.

I did a quick check on things and I have enough dishwasher detergent and bottle dish detergent to last me for a couple of month. Glad I stocked up on things like that when I had free Prime for a month. My aide found a big bottle of All free and clear on sale so that will help.
Janet Alliesmama