Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida
Posts: 3316
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida » Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 pm

The weather is unfriendly in your region. Be safe. In my thoughts.

alliesmama4
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 pm
Location: Southern IL

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 pm
The weather is unfriendly in your region. Be safe. In my thoughts.
Thank you. My brother is up on a bluff and the road to his house is under water again. They are saying there is more water on its way down the river so the crest is not going to happen for when it was planned for.. They had said Sunday and then Monday and now Friday.. He has planned for this with food and water etc but his wife had to go stay with one of their DD's again due to her medical problems she cannot be isolated like that. I feel safe where I am and blessed actually to be where I am. If any of the levees are breached it is going to be catastrophic for a lot of people on both sides of the river. The flood of '93 was very similar and it went on for months and months like it is now. I grew up on a flood plain and I will never move back to an area that could flood. A lot of people do not realize that their city or town could be under water in a short period of time if a levee is breached and with the ongoing rain and flooding the levees are getting soft and cannot maintain there integrity. During the flood of '93 they had to post national guards every so many feet to prevent people from walking on the levees. They said just walking on them could make them shake and they could then collapse. So many people are oblivious to the danger.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida
Posts: 3316
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida » Sun May 26, 2019 6:07 am

Wow. It is intense there. I am always surprised how people just assume that everyone is doing their job and there is no risk. I agree. Building on flood plains is risky. The people in Houston learned that their local government allowed developers to build in a known flood plain without any requirement to tell residents, oh by the way, you are in a flood plain and there is a risk of flooding. Texas even allows developers to say the roads are water detention areas, thereby reducing the developers requirement for flood management. However, emergency vehicles can't drive in high flood water. But again, there is no requirement to tell home buyers about this risk. Buyer beware.

The risk of hurricanes, flooding and tidal surge is made a big deal, so in hurricane alley, no one should be unaware. Still every season, I hear stupid things from people who think their new house is hurricane proof. I just shake my head.

Be safe.

alliesmama4
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 pm
Location: Southern IL

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:55 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:07 am
Wow. It is intense there. I am always surprised how people just assume that everyone is doing their job and there is no risk. I agree. Building on flood plains is risky. The people in Houston learned that their local government allowed developers to build in a known flood plain without any requirement to tell residents, oh by the way, you are in a flood plain and there is a risk of flooding. Texas even allows developers to say the roads are water detention areas, thereby reducing the developers requirement for flood management. However, emergency vehicles can't drive in high flood water. But again, there is no requirement to tell home buyers about this risk. Buyer beware.

The risk of hurricanes, flooding and tidal surge is made a big deal, so in hurricane alley, no one should be unaware. Still every season, I hear stupid things from people who think their new house is hurricane proof. I just shake my head.

Be safe.
I know a lot of people are just oblivious to things. They just found a young couple that has been missing for a a week or so. Their car was found in a flooded area and they drowned. The mother of the boy said there was no sign warning them of a flood. Duh this has been an on going problem and even I know from my side of the river to not drive in that area due to the flood waters. They were driving at night in a rural area and came up over a hill and right in to flood water.

It is disgraceful what builders do and get away with all for the sake of the almighty dollar. Where I live and with the design of my house I keep loosing shingles all in the same area. My house is in a rural area and open to the winds. So a vortex is created when the wind comes from certain directions and I have repeated roof damage in the same areas. The new roof will have wind protection from 135 to 165 mile winds depending on which company we go with. People have to be proactive that is for sure.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 pm
Location: Southern IL

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Working on trying to use up what I have. Breakfast was cottage cheese, coffee and half and half. The half and half was a treat but need to go back to black belt frugaling. Lunch was a grilled ham and cheese. Actually used Canadian bacon. The gluten free bread was bought on sale. Also two nice dill pickles from Dollar Tree.

Yesterday I made cauliflower "steak" Parmesan. The term "steak" is used when you cut the cauliflower from top to bottom to make steak size slices. I made three. After baking them in the oven you add tomato sauce of choice. I used pizza sauce. Then add mozzarella and Parmesan and baked until the cheese melts. It was good but maybe carnivores would like an actual steak..lol. I chopped the rest of the cauliflower in to small bite size pieces and steamed them today to make faux potato salad. I just use my regular potato salad recipe and sub the cauliflower for potatoes. It is ketogenic if you use mayonnaise but I used Miracle Whip. Need to use it up. I hard boiled 8 eggs that were in need of being used soon. I will use three in the potato salad and two or three to make tuna fish salad. The others will be used for Teddi for breakfast or for snacking for myself.

Thawing out the small pork roast that I bought for sale the other day for about $2.83. I have some BBQ sauce in the fridge that needs to be used up so I am going to cook the roast in the crock pot tomorrow. Will use some of the roast to make pulled pork type sandwiches (2) . Then will save the rest of the pork for something else. Have not decided yet what that will be. I am thinking of making a small batch of coleslaw to go with my holiday meal of Faux potato salad and BBQ pork sandwich. Today I opened the last of my store canned peaches. They will be gone by tomorrow or I will have them with cottage tomorrow for breakfast. I have been saving the peach juice from canned peaches in the freezer so I am going to thaw them out and make something with the dehydrated peaches and the saved peach juice. I have two or three very large cans of dehydrated peaches in my emergency pantry and they need to be used up.

I have decided on a plan of saving the extra money I will need for my nephews wedding next year. It is in another state almost a year from today's date. They are getting married in a state park and my brother has rented cabins for all of us so no money needed for a place to stay. The cabins come fully equipped so I will be taking my own food. My niece from Arizona will be flying in and we will drive to the wedding area from here.. It is about 6 hours away. We will share the cost of gas. Also I need to have a house sitter to come and stay with Teddi. A friend does that as a side job and she has been here before. She does do it for a reduced rate but still it is pricey. Teddi will be better off here rather than in a kennel. Also being in a rural area sometimes people do break in and rob you. I have an alarm system but by the time state police are notified and arrive the dust has already settled since I live so far out. Anyway my plan is to save the cash I earn from the various online places that I earn points. I have set a limit per month and it will be fun trying to achieve that goal. I will however continue to use the occasional $3.00 that I receive from Pine Cone Research to buy a rotisserie chicken. That really helps to stretch the budget.
Janet Alliesmama

User avatar
Jackielou
Posts: 5764
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Jackielou » Mon May 27, 2019 9:29 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:07 pm
Working on trying to use up what I have. Breakfast was cottage cheese, coffee and half and half. The half and half was a treat but need to go back to black belt frugaling. Lunch was a grilled ham and cheese. Actually used Canadian bacon. The gluten free bread was bought on sale. Also two nice dill pickles from Dollar Tree.

Yesterday I made cauliflower "steak" Parmesan. The term "steak" is used when you cut the cauliflower from top to bottom to make steak size slices. I made three. After baking them in the oven you add tomato sauce of choice. I used pizza sauce. Then add mozzarella and Parmesan and baked until the cheese melts. It was good but maybe carnivores would like an actual steak..lol. I chopped the rest of the cauliflower in to small bite size pieces and steamed them today to make faux potato salad. I just use my regular potato salad recipe and sub the cauliflower for potatoes. It is ketogenic if you use mayonnaise but I used Miracle Whip. Need to use it up. I hard boiled 8 eggs that were in need of being used soon. I will use three in the potato salad and two or three to make tuna fish salad. The others will be used for Teddi for breakfast or for snacking for myself.

Thawing out the small pork roast that I bought for sale the other day for about $2.83. I have some BBQ sauce in the fridge that needs to be used up so I am going to cook the roast in the crock pot tomorrow. Will use some of the roast to make pulled pork type sandwiches (2) . Then will save the rest of the pork for something else. Have not decided yet what that will be. I am thinking of making a small batch of coleslaw to go with my holiday meal of Faux potato salad and BBQ pork sandwich. Today I opened the last of my store canned peaches. They will be gone by tomorrow or I will have them with cottage tomorrow for breakfast. I have been saving the peach juice from canned peaches in the freezer so I am going to thaw them out and make something with the dehydrated peaches and the saved peach juice. I have two or three very large cans of dehydrated peaches in my emergency pantry and they need to be used up.

I have decided on a plan of saving the extra money I will need for my nephews wedding next year. It is in another state almost a year from today's date. They are getting married in a state park and my brother has rented cabins for all of us so no money needed for a place to stay. The cabins come fully equipped so I will be taking my own food. My niece from Arizona will be flying in and we will drive to the wedding area from here.. It is about 6 hours away. We will share the cost of gas. Also I need to have a house sitter to come and stay with Teddi. A friend does that as a side job and she has been here before. She does do it for a reduced rate but still it is pricey. Teddi will be better off here rather than in a kennel. Also being in a rural area sometimes people do break in and rob you. I have an alarm system but by the time state police are notified and arrive the dust has already settled since I live so far out. Anyway my plan is to save the cash I earn from the various online places that I earn points. I have set a limit per month and it will be fun trying to achieve that goal. I will however continue to use the occasional $3.00 that I receive from Pine Cone Research to buy a rotisserie chicken. That really helps to stretch the budget.
To many of us Canadians, "Canadian Bacon" AKA Back Bacon tastes much the same as a slice of really good ham.

Post Reply