Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:13 pm

We have had a couple of decent days with the chance of scattered rain or storms but my area has been very lucky. It was a little bit too warm this afternoon for Teddi so I turned the A/C on to get the humidity out and used the ceiling fans. Now that the sun has gone down it is cool enough to open the windows and doors. I prefer the fresh air over A/C. Also saves money.

Where I live I have a lot of trees in a wooded area behind my house. When the sun goes down it is very dark here.. I love sitting out on my deck and watch the fireflies twinkling against the darkness of the trees. There were clouds last night so no moon of any kind. It is almost magical to sit out there and watch them twinkling. There is a small pond on my brothers property right next to mine. It is a protected sanctuary for the Illinois chorus frogs. They are singing their evening song. Sometimes they will all abruptly stop singing at once and you wonder what is out there that made them stop...lol. Then suddenly they will resume their chorus again. I do love living here. So I have music and a light show and do not need to go anywhere.
Tomorrow I am taking Teddi in for a checkup. The vets office asked why I was bringing him in and I could only say he is just not himself.. Not eating like he should and really sleeps too much. I hope they can give me an answer without too much cost. His Nana in Texas sent a $40.00 check to help with his expenses. She did not have to do that since Teddi is now my fur baby but it really was caring and kind of her to do so.

I have been cooking at home. Used up the two chickens I got on sale last week between Teddi and myself. We each had the last of the meat I picked off of the bones for dinner tonight. I had mine in a salad and he ate his out of his bowl. I have chicken broth to make soup with but not sure yet what. I will freeze it for later if I can find room in my fridge freezer. Will be eating from the fridge, freezer and pantry this week except need to pick up some lettuce.
I am going to throw a small beef roast in the crock pot tomorrow before I take Teddi to the vet. Not sure what I am going to use it for but it will smell great when we come home and I can decide them. I bought it a while back on deep discount. I have never cooked a beef roast before but the crock pot seems to be the easiest and best way for me to cook it. . Also have broccoli thawed out and plan of making a broccoli, cheese, and onion quiche.
Janet Alliesmama

Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Having a nice low spend week. I did stop by the Dollar Tree on the way home from church Sunday yesterday to pick up a new toothbrush. I also grabbed a sponge mop to assist with cleaning my rabbit cage- they can be messy, and I do not like to use my mop I use on the other parts of the house even though I wash the mop heads after using them.

I have a training this week and next- started today. I like learning, so no big deal. It is 5 minutes from my home. Since it was 5 hours long, I thought we would get a short lunch break, but not so. I will make sure I pack a light lunch and some snacks the rest of my training days. I did take my water bottle and some tea, so at least I did drink more water today. I need to make sure I am drinking water. When I am at work, it is easy since I pack it, but when at home there are more interesting things to drink and I neglect to drink just plain water. I need to work on that.

Eating leftovers for the next few days. I made a pot of salsa chicken and some rice yesterday. I do have a couple of zucchinis I need to use, probably tomorrow night. Other than that, no cooking until Thursday. At least I saved a few items by bulk cooking, and with the heat it is nice not to need to heat up the kitchen.

I did go for a walk this evening, and I have managed to do a couple of loads of laundry, swish and swipe the bathrooms, straighten up the kitchen. I am not tired, but I will at least go lay down. I did take a rather long nap after I ate my lunch at 2:00, so am not overly tired, but must get up in the morning early. I will at least read and see if that helps me fall asleep.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am

Momof2Still wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm
Having a nice low spend week. I did stop by the Dollar Tree on the way home from church Sunday yesterday to pick up a new toothbrush. I also grabbed a sponge mop to assist with cleaning my rabbit cage- they can be messy, and I do not like to use my mop I use on the other parts of the house even though I wash the mop heads after using them.

I have a training this week and next- started today. I like learning, so no big deal. It is 5 minutes from my home. Since it was 5 hours long, I thought we would get a short lunch break, but not so. I will make sure I pack a light lunch and some snacks the rest of my training days. I did take my water bottle and some tea, so at least I did drink more water today. I need to make sure I am drinking water. When I am at work, it is easy since I pack it, but when at home there are more interesting things to drink and I neglect to drink just plain water. I need to work on that.

Eating leftovers for the next few days. I made a pot of salsa chicken and some rice yesterday. I do have a couple of zucchinis I need to use, probably tomorrow night. Other than that, no cooking until Thursday. At least I saved a few items by bulk cooking, and with the heat it is nice not to need to heat up the kitchen.

I did go for a walk this evening, and I have managed to do a couple of loads of laundry, swish and swipe the bathrooms, straighten up the kitchen. I am not tired, but I will at least go lay down. I did take a rather long nap after I ate my lunch at 2:00, so am not overly tired, but must get up in the morning early. I will at least read and see if that helps me fall asleep.
\
Momof2 good to see you posting. Glad you are having a low spend week.

Not sure if your bunny would like it but my rabbit,Ginger, loved cilantro. It will keep fresh for a very long time if you put the stems in a bowl of water.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 am

Good morning. Cannot sleep so I am up doing things on the computer. I took Teddi to the Vet yesterday to see if we can find out why he does not eat well and sleeps too much. She did a heart worm test and he is safe. So I am starting heart worm medicine today. She gave him a shot for his severe itching and we are staring him on fish oil to help with his dry skin. The office visit, testing, and various medications came to $180.00 so I had to postpone the blood test she suggested which is a $171.00. After going over my budget I decided to wait until next month. I still have to have the $500.00 for the deductible for my roof replacement and if they run in to any kind of wood rot they will have to replace it and the insurance company does not cover that. My brother did send a check to me when his friend brought them food by boat a while back. However if for some reason there is more of a need I cannot get any money from him due to him being house bound due to the flood. I do have a little bit of money as a cushion so need to save that. Teddi's Nana in Texas sent a check for $40.00 to help out. She is the mother of his former owner.. That is why I call her Nana.

I put a small beef roast in the crock pot before I left to go to the Vet's office. It was marked down to $3.83 on sale. It smelled wonderful when we came home. Later when it was finished cooking I sliced it up and nibbled a bite. I did not like it. I am not a beef lover. It was nice and tender so I made a sandwich with mustard and pickled jalapeno peppers to cover the taste..lol. Teddi was given a portion weighed like I usually do to make sure he is getting enough protein. Anyway he scarfed it right down and begged for more. Since he has not been eating well I did give him more. He will be eating the roast for the next couple of days for his food since I do not care for it. Even as a kid I did not like roast beef but I thought I am an adult now so try it you might like it..Nope. At least Teddi likes it and it is actually cheaper than his fresh food from Petco. Except for lettuce,a cucumber, milk, and eggs every week I think I can squeeze through the rest of the month using what I already have in my pantry, fridge, and freezer.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Things are tight but I will manage. I went to the bank to deposit my checks and cashed in all of the coins I have been collecting for months. I had $18.13. I went to Ruler and bought groceries for $18.23. That did include chicken thighs for Teddi which was $4.04. Petco still does not have their fresh food for him. So I need to cook at home but I am going to try to make it more nutritious with added rice and veggies and give it a whiz in my food processor so that he cannot pick the meat out.

I forgot to mention that we did stop at Arby's on the way home from the Vet's office yesterday. He had a rough time. They gave him a shot and they also had to draw blood and the poor little guy cried. He had not eaten since the night before and I know he likes the Arby's meat so bought him two sliders. He only gets the meat and I save the buns for using for my meals. He scarfed down the meat from two sliders and some of mine. I can eat Arby's since it does not taste like real roast beef. lol. Anyway I used his bun for breakfast this morning and used the other one last night with some of the meat I saved from my slider. You do get a lot of meat on the slider.. I am not that big of a meat eater. Teddi is eating the beef roast I did not like.. He has one more meal and then we will go with the chicken thighs which I will cook tomorrow.
Breakfast today was keto sausage gravy over the toasted Arby's bun with coffee and half and half. For lunch I had a Granny Smith apple with peanut butter and a handful of peanuts from Dollar Tree and for dinner I had half of a bag of frozen broccoli with some shredded cheese and blueberries from Dollar Tree with some half and half. I had planned on making a quiche but was too tired. Still it was an enjoyable meal to me. Very simple and cheap meals.

I have about $14.00 for groceries for the rest of the month but I think things will work out well. I have earned $6.00 from Pine cone research and the store where I buy the rotisserie chickens gives reward points and I have accumulated $2.00. I will use $3.00 and combine it with the $2.00 in points and buy a chicken sometime in the near future for $1.46. I will save the other $3.00 for a week or so down the road and maybe I will get lucky and have another survey sent to me by then. I do have a lot of food to work with in the house just need to fill in here and there as needed.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:27 am

I went over my budget again and decided to take Teddi in for some of the blood work that the Vet recommended. He did not want to eat the last meal of roast beef but it was important since it had the fish oil on it for his dry skin. He would nibble a few bites if I fed him. I finally put him in my lap and fed him the bowl a few bites at a time. That is one reason I decided we need to do more blood work to see if there is some reason for him not eating. I bought him some chicken thighs at Ruler and cooked 4 in the crock pot. He has been eating the meat. I have 4 more to cook today. One thigh weighs just a little bit over what I actually give him for a meal so I do include it and if too much save for another meal. It was $4.04 for 8 thighs. So that comes about to about a $1.00 a day for him for food. I am going to try to combine it with rice today.. He is such a picky eater and I wanted to make sure he was at least getting some food in to his stomach. If he does not eat well then he throws up yellow foam which is bile.

I am working on menu ideas to use what I have on hand. I got some great bargains online on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Some were greatly discounted and some were BOGO. A lot of my meals are going to be vegetarian because I cannot buy any more meat due to the cost. The rotisserie chicken is the exception. I have survey money and store rewards so my next chicken will only cost $1.46. I do have some odds and ends of meat in the freezer so will be using them.Also have a lot of canned salmon and canned tuna. Then there is always the dehydrate pork chops to be used up. It will work out ok but as I said before will be really tight.
Janet Alliesmama