Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:44 am

Jackielou wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:22 am
Janet I have slowly been losing weight as well. Gone are the days when I could lose 10 lbs in a month. I am doing it nice and slow with some portion control and exercise. It is actually staying off for the most part. I do gain a few ounces, once a pound, but within days of my sensible eating and exercising it is gone.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks Jackie. I think you are doing well too. Slow and sensible it the best way..
Janet Alliesmama

Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 am

Janet- glad the Teddi seems to be feeling better. I wish I lived near you; I would share my freezer/pantry stash with you.

I am still working on deep cleaning the house, and thankfully I see an end in sight. I should be completely done before I go visit my son and daughter-in-law on the 4th. I am so excited to be able to spend some time with them.

No grocery shopping for me. No money to spend, and no need for anything. I inventoried my chest freezer (along with cleaning it out and getting it defrosted). I had way more food in there than I thought. I am grateful, but I really need to use some of it. I have done a good job of using what is in the fridge freezer and pantry, so now I need to concentrate on the chest freezer. I do not want to completely run out of food between shops, but I also do not need enough food to feed a family of 4 for a year. I think a 6-month supply of food for me should be enough.

I am trying to use up what I have, but if and when I need to replace anything, only buy foods that are lower carb or whole wheat/whole grain (and not replacing the junky foods that I kept on hand when I had children or RM lived here). When RM is here, I can just buy it at that time. The same goes for when my children visit.

I made a pot of black bean and ham soup in the crockpot yesterday- used a ham bone that had been in the freezer for a while. It turned out to be very tasty. I used up bits and pieces of onions, green onions, and garlic that were in the fridge and pantry. I had a couple of hamburger buns in the freezer that needed using along with a couple of kale veggie burgers, so toasted the buns with a little butter and garlic power to make them more palatable Friday night and then for lunch on Saturday. I have 4 hot dog buns that I am doing the same thing with this week for lunch and adding lunch meat to make a sandwich. My milk is on the verge of going bad, so I will make some homemade pudding to use it up- trying not to waste anything. I have some fruit I need to prep and freeze before it goes bad. I have used quite a bit of my frozen fruit stash for smoothies now that it has gotten very warm out, so I do have room in the fridge freezer for it. I try to drink them in the winter, but just can’t seem to do it.

Well, off to clean and read- it is how I am motivating myself to clean the things I am not fond of cleaning.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:59 am

Momof2Still wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:36 am
Janet- glad the Teddi seems to be feeling better. I wish I lived near you; I would share my freezer/pantry stash with you.

I am still working on deep cleaning the house, and thankfully I see an end in sight. I should be completely done before I go visit my son and daughter-in-law on the 4th. I am so excited to be able to spend some time with them.

No grocery shopping for me. No money to spend, and no need for anything. I inventoried my chest freezer (along with cleaning it out and getting it defrosted). I had way more food in there than I thought. I am grateful, but I really need to use some of it. I have done a good job of using what is in the fridge freezer and pantry, so now I need to concentrate on the chest freezer. I do not want to completely run out of food between shops, but I also do not need enough food to feed a family of 4 for a year. I think a 6-month supply of food for me should be enough.

I am trying to use up what I have, but if and when I need to replace anything, only buy foods that are lower carb or whole wheat/whole grain (and not replacing the junky foods that I kept on hand when I had children or RM lived here). When RM is here, I can just buy it at that time. The same goes for when my children visit.

I made a pot of black bean and ham soup in the crockpot yesterday- used a ham bone that had been in the freezer for a while. It turned out to be very tasty. I used up bits and pieces of onions, green onions, and garlic that were in the fridge and pantry. I had a couple of hamburger buns in the freezer that needed using along with a couple of kale veggie burgers, so toasted the buns with a little butter and garlic power to make them more palatable Friday night and then for lunch on Saturday. I have 4 hot dog buns that I am doing the same thing with this week for lunch and adding lunch meat to make a sandwich. My milk is on the verge of going bad, so I will make some homemade pudding to use it up- trying not to waste anything. I have some fruit I need to prep and freeze before it goes bad. I have used quite a bit of my frozen fruit stash for smoothies now that it has gotten very warm out, so I do have room in the fridge freezer for it. I try to drink them in the winter, but just can’t seem to do it.

Well, off to clean and read- it is how I am motivating myself to clean the things I am not fond of cleaning.
Momof2.. Glad to hear you will be visiting your DS and DDIL.
Good to hear you are doing well with organizing and getting food under control. Nice to have a large stash. I am with you I am going more low carb except no gluten. I do miss things made with gluten.

Keep up the good work. You will feel so much better going back to school when you are so organized. I know it was rough changing schools and having to move things out of the old school while trying to get started doing things for your new job..
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:55 pm

I had hoped Teddi was better. I took him back to the clinic the other day and his medical bills have wiped out my emergency fund. His bills so far have come to $405.00 since he got sick. He finished his medicine Sunday night and I called the vets office Monday morning to see if he needed to continue. She said let him go for a day or two and see what happens. He is still not wanting to eat. He will take a few bites if he sits in my lap and I hand feed him.Then he is done. I had planned on going in to town today to see if they had the fresh dog food at Petco and if not was going to buy 3 chickens on sale at Save-a-Lot at .69 cent a lb.. They would be for him and me for meals. Woke up to a lot of loud noises on the road in front of my house and found out the road is closed. It is being rocked and oiled so no getting in or out until late afternoon or evening which I do not want to do due to the oil and rock might cause damage to my car.

I made Teddi a scrambled egg for breakfast which is one of his favorite things. He would not eat it.. I was sorting laundry in the utility room and he came in and threw up yellow fluid which is bile.. The last time he did this the online vets said it is due to not eating and to try to get them to eat equal parts of a starch and protein. I cooked rice and and diced a small potato and cooked it. Hopefully he will try to eat one or the other with a freshly scrambled egg later on today. I will try the potato first since he seems to be turned off of rice. Finally around 10:30 AM I tried again to get him to eat his scrambled egg and after I fed him a bite of his scrambled egg he did finish it and has kept it down. I hope he will continue to eat. Yesterday he just wanted to be held a lot and sleep in my lap however when we go outside for him to potty he does go out on his own power and does take an interest in what is going on but not as active as he use to be.. Poor little guy.

So my plans for getting some really frugal food purchases made today are out the window. Today was the last day for the cottage cheese BOGO and for the .69 cents a lb chicken. I still have money left for groceries for myself around $7.00 that includes the $6.00 from survey money. had planned on using money from Teddi's food budget to buy some of the chickens if we could not get his fresh dog food. I personally can live without the cottage cheese it just would have been nice to have on hand for a quick breakfast or snack. I do have enough food for my needs.

I opened a can of chicken and plan on using it to make enchiladas today or tomorrow. Do not buy the canned chicken at Dollar Tree with the Tyson label. It is a rip off. The can states 4.5 oz.. It is swimming in broth. Like a lot of products they can legally state that the contents are 4.5 oz but it is not a solid product. I weighted the chicken and it was just at 2 oz and the broth was at 2.3 oz. So you could buy a whole lot more fresh chicken for a lot less money. I try to keep canned things on hand in case of a power outage. The current can I bought was from Big Lots. Pay more but get a decent amount of product.

We are almost to the end of June and the first of July is next week so I will be getting my tiny pension and SS. I will not be rolling in clover but at least the pinch will not be so bad. After July I will have one bill paid off so that will be a big help. Although I do need to start to save more for my property taxes..

Still waiting on the roofing company to replace my roof. I do have the money needed from insurance, my $500.00 deductible, and my brother sent a large check to cover any over cost. If they run in to any bad wood they will replace it but my insurance does not cover it. Plus my brother has them putting in some kind of new roof venting system which is not covered by insurance. He does a lot of research on things so I trust him and his decisions. He and my SIL are a blessing. I know if I need anything they will help me out. Some women would resent a man helping his sister so much but when I question her about things she is fine with it. Although I do try to do as much as possible on my own.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:13 pm

I am going to try this again but if it disappears again I might also.. On several different days I have written long updates and when I hit submit they disappear. So will make this short and hope for the best. June has been rough with Teddi being so sick (409.00) and he is still in need of additional things in July. A rabies shot, tags, heart worm medicine, and flea medicine.. ouch. He is on and off with feeling better. I did take him for his grooming appointment this week and Petco finally has his fresh food in stock.. They were just taking it out of the shipping boxes to put them in the fridge when I went in. I was able to get one roll since the young lady said she was still unpacking them and did not have more of the kind he liked right then. She said there may be more but she was not sure. I had an appointment so could not stay while she unpacked them. Anyway will go back this coming week and buy a couple more. They have a long shelf life in the fridge and at least he will have some decent food to eat.

I have had very little food waste. Did have to throw some baby carrots out. Making do with what I have and eating more vegetarian and liking it. Although I think Sunday I am going to buy a rotisserie chicken for my dinner. I have $6.22 left in my food budget for June. That includes the $6.00 I earned from surveys. I am going to combine $2.00 from store rewards and $ 3.00 from surveys so the actual cost out of pocket will be $1.46. I can stretch that chicken for a lot of meal this coming week.

I bought a jar of whey protein isolate from Amazon the other day. It came to .78 cents. Normally it is around $20.00 but they had a 20% off coupon and I used gift cards from BING and got it for .78 cents.They offered free Prime for a month so I signed up so the shipping is free. Whey protein isolate is essential for making gluten free bread and baked goods. The recipes are from a new book that I have had for a very long time but just did not have the time or money to buy everything.. However store bought gluten free bread and baked goods are very expensive and if I can get the recipe ingredients and the technique down pat I may save money in the long run. I had more to say previously but do not want to take a chance on loosing this post.Hopefully this one will not end up in cyber space.
Janet Alliesmama

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:31 pm

Greetings All,

Have been busy and frugal. Worked at my second job last evening. It is literally around the corner from my house and I can do it any time between Friday morning and early afternoon on Saturday. It takes me about 3 hours start to finish. I think I will go later in the evening next Friday. The store was CRAZY BUSY and I would prefer to be dealing with hundreds and hundreds of books and magazines when it is less crowded.

I came to the library to submit my time online - I should be paid for that in a few days.

I WILL BE making homemade soup today. I have a lot of things that need using up - some lentils, some beans, some cabbage, some canned tomatoes, 1 ear of corn, etc. I swear by having a good pantry stash of spices and seasonings (from Save A Lot or Dollar Tree) - and I can make a big batch of soup for so cheap!

Eggs have been CHEAP lately - got a pack of 18 for .99 cents and a dozen for .79 cents - so some quick and easy meals have been a handful of frozen veggies made into an omelet of sorts. I use three eggs because I usually give the dogs a taste and because I'm trying not to eat bread - so no toast.

My boss has two long weekends away coming up and wants me to watch her dogs. That is even better money than my second job gig - so yes!

Janet, glad Teddi is doing better. Hope's ear infection is better - no thanks to her - she fights me on putting the medication in. Off to read some of the forum. Take care all!