Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:37 am

Jackielou wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:34 pm
I am glad that you like your new weed wacker (as we call them here in Canada).
I did not know that.. and I do not know why I called it a weed wacker..lol. Anyway a bit of fun trivia to know..
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:57 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 pm
My weed wacker came today. At first I was ready to throw it all back in the box and send it back. It came in bits and pieces. I could not figure out what the picture instructions were. However took a break, watched some TV and had a snack and came back with calmer nerves. Took a closer look at the parts and there are arrows on them and it was easier to snap it together just trying to line up the arrows. The battery had to charge for 5 hours so I set it to charging as soon as I opened the box. After dinner I took it out for a trial run.. I am in love with it!! It is a little bit heavy for me but not like a heavy gas weed eater and I am almost 75 and not in the best of health and still it worked wonders for me. I did a lot of trimming where my neighbor cannot get to with the riding lawn mower. I hacked in to my burn pile with it too. I cannot put anything on the burn pile since it is completely surrounded by 12 ft tall weeds we call horse weeds. I hacked it down in small increments. Also hacked down prairie grass that was as high as my thighs. I did have to go back and forth over the areas since the weeds were so close together and so high but the wacker did a great job. It comes with 2 batteries so you can always have one in reserve. There is place where you can keep an extra reel of string with you on the device instead of having to get another one or carry it around in your pocket.. It has a three year warranty. It has a flower protector and an edger which I have not tried out yet. It is from a company called WORKX. I broke the payments up in to three monthly installments except the first one was a bit more pricey since I ordered extra spools and there was tax and shipping charges. Still reasonable the product if it hold up as well as it is right now. In the long run this should save me money since periodically I have to hire someone to come in to do the trimming and weed pulling.
Sounds great! I remember that a woman I worked with who I only see periodically mentioned that brand WORKZ. I’ll see if it is sold at HD or Lowes. Like with your yard, there are places I can’t get to with my mower, mainly up against the fences and up against gardens edged with rocks and fake bricks. I have my corded weed wacker but it is such a pain with the long, heavy extension cord that I rarely use it. (My corded weed wacker can be used for edging, too, but I have not found it very good for that purpose.)

From the check-in it sounds like you overdid it yesterday, Janet. I can totally relate! Try to take it easy next time. Famous words that I don’t follow myself.

Thanks for the review and the brand name.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 am

I see that you bought blueberries for .99/pint earlier this week. Great price! I have not seen them that cheap anywhere in my area this year. I bought three pints yesterday at Aldi for $1.49/pint. Like you, I did get a good deal at Publix this week on Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup. All Campbell’s soup was B1G1 at $1.79 so .90/can. I was able to get the low salt variety.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 am
I see that you bought blueberries for .99/pint earlier this week. Great price! I have not seen them that cheap anywhere in my area this year. I bought three pints yesterday at Aldi for $1.49/pint. Like you, I did get a good deal at Publix this week on Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup. All Campbell’s soup was B1G1 at $1.79 so .90/can. I was able to get the low salt variety.
I was surprised too to get blueberries that cheap. They were from Canada and very nice.

I bought a couple of cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup at Ruler for .98 cents a can. However I used one last night making hamburger gravy and it looked to be mostly creamy whatever and had no mushroom taste and very few bits of mushrooms.. I was bummed out since it use to be my standard for great creamed soups. Maybe my taste buds have changed but the amount of mushroom bits was amazingly small. Maybe like everything else they are cutting corners?
Janet Alliesmama

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:05 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 am
I was surprised too to get blueberries that cheap. They were from Canada and very nice.

I bought a couple of cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup at Ruler for .98 cents a can. However I used one last night making hamburger gravy and it looked to be mostly creamy whatever and had no mushroom taste and very few bits of mushrooms.. I was bummed out since it use to be my standard for great creamed soups. Maybe my taste buds have changed but the amount of mushroom bits was amazingly small. Maybe like everything else they are cutting corners?
Wow you paid less that I do for Canadian blueberries, I bought an approximately 2 pt basket at my grocery store last week and paid a sale price of $4.59. I thought that was a great deal.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:46 am

Jackielou wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:05 am
Wow you paid less that I do for Canadian blueberries, I bought an approximately 2 pt basket at my grocery store last week and paid a sale price of $4.59. I thought that was a great deal.
I too was amazed at the price. I know they were loss leaders since this store is always very pricey but do go for the loss leaders and shop elsewhere. The blueberries were nice sized and yummy. This week they are selling 2 pints of BB for $5.00 not from Canada but Driscol's which is US.
Janet Alliesmama