Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by Dgflorida »

I read the link and noticed that most of the things they tracked were directly tied to high tax expenditure. Since I am retired with limited resources, high tax states that they said were great are not great for me. I also noticed that the "great" were the coastie states. Perhaps a bit of bias there? If you cherry pick what is good, you can get the results you want.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

11 out of 21, 52.3%

WOW was that a terrible late night / early morning. Went into the storm shelter 3 times. Really confused the dog.

I need a nap. Not going to get it - I'm not a day sleeper - but I sure need it.

There's flooding in parts of 3/4 of the state (some areas got over 6" of rain over the day) and several roads are closed. At 6 a.m. two school systems decided not to open because roads to the schools were flooded. Not sure how many more made the same decision.

It's going to be SUNNY this afternoon and horribly humid. We back up to a greenbelt that's used for water direction through big culverts leading to a natural creek and that was backed up so high it ran over it's "bowl" boundary and partially flooded the neighbor to the east's yard - he's on the slope of the hill where we're at it's high point. The whole thing is getting better, but we're going to have mush for a lawn for a while. The hope is that because the beds are raised and have drainage all the veggie plants will bounce back, they look beaten up.

We should have used the deck lumber to build an arc.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:59 am I read the link and noticed that most of the things they tracked were directly tied to high tax expenditure. Since I am retired with limited resources, high tax states that they said were great are not great for me. I also noticed that the "great" were the coastie states. Perhaps a bit of bias there? If you cherry pick what is good, you can get the results you want.
They can put Washington #1 if they want but they know the long-awaited 'big' quake will tear that state up. Rents are high, home prices are wild, traffic in the larger cities is terrible; I couldn't live there. I could visit, for the scenery, but that's about it.

It's okay, though, I doubt they're missing me ;)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 am 11 out of 21, 52.3%

WOW was that a terrible late night / early morning. Went into the storm shelter 3 times. Really confused the dog.

I need a nap. Not going to get it - I'm not a day sleeper - but I sure need it.

There's flooding in parts of 3/4 of the state (some areas got over 6" of rain over the day) and several roads are closed. At 6 a.m. two school systems decided not to open because roads to the schools were flooded. Not sure how many more made the same decision.

It's going to be SUNNY this afternoon and horribly humid. We back up to a greenbelt that's used for water direction through big culverts leading to a natural creek and that was backed up so high it ran over it's "bowl" boundary and partially flooded the neighbor to the east's yard - he's on the slope of the hill where we're at it's high point. The whole thing is getting better, but we're going to have mush for a lawn for a while. The hope is that because the beds are raised and have drainage all the veggie plants will bounce back, they look beaten up.

We should have used the deck lumber to build an arc.
Sandi I am glad to hear you made it through the storm last night although it sounds pretty rough.. I hope the flooding does not affect you any more than it has. I do hope your plants spunk up.I am waiting for the storm front to arrive here. It to suppose to arrive here later this afternoon/evening.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Two days later... 3 very local school systems are still closed due to flooding AND.... the Jenks Aquarium just evacuated 30 minutes ago - hundreds of thousands of gallons or cubic feet or however civil engineers quantify water, are being released from the dam upstream again and they fear this could put the Jenks Riverwalk and the aquarium in jeopardy.

I wonder if they issued refunds when they ushered everyone out, that aquarium is not a cheap venue. It's not even what I'd call a reasonably priced venue. Pretty? Sure.
But not all that big, considering the $$. Interesting given that we have no coastline and they have sharks? Yup, the engineering and planning must have been intense.

I hope if it floods no animals are in danger.

There is currently a 50% chance of rain today with this alert "all modes of severe weather possible" - that reads so much like CYA meteorology it's hilarious. Exactly 50%, not more one way than the other, and "all modes." I love science. But I guess weather is the least predictable thing there is.

Currently cloudy, cool, and terribly windy. The predicted 'modes' are expected from the south.

IF a mode of severe weather does not happen, we're spending $$ today out with friends. If weather happens, we'll be frugal. We're several miles from the river and up a hill, so while water runs by us, not a lot of it stays here. And I'm fine with that.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:25 pm Two days later... 3 very local school systems are still closed due to flooding AND.... the Jenks Aquarium just evacuated 30 minutes ago - hundreds of thousands of gallons or cubic feet or however civil engineers quantify water, are being released from the dam upstream again and they fear this could put the Jenks Riverwalk and the aquarium in jeopardy.

I wonder if they issued refunds when they ushered everyone out, that aquarium is not a cheap venue. It's not even what I'd call a reasonably priced venue. Pretty? Sure.
But not all that big, considering the $$. Interesting given that we have no coastline and they have sharks? Yup, the engineering and planning must have been intense.

I hope if it floods no animals are in danger.

There is currently a 50% chance of rain today with this alert "all modes of severe weather possible" - that reads so much like CYA meteorology it's hilarious. Exactly 50%, not more one way than the other, and "all modes." I love science. But I guess weather is the least predictable thing there is.

Currently cloudy, cool, and terribly windy. The predicted 'modes' are expected from the south.

IF a mode of severe weather does not happen, we're spending $$ today out with friends. If weather happens, we'll be frugal. We're several miles from the river and up a hill, so while water runs by us, not a lot of it stays here. And I'm fine with that.
Good luck with your 50%. I do hope the critters will be ok if there is a flood.

We have more flooding here and by tomorrow my brother's road will be under water for only God know how long. Also they are shutting down the lock and dam for barge traffic starting on Sunday... My aide said we had 30 tornadoes in our area last night. Not immediate area but in a 30 to 50 mile radius in all directions. We only had 2 local. Not sure of the damage it is sketching on TV news that I have watched since it happened at night and they do not have a lot of pictures.

Hope you will continue to be safe.Enjoy your outing with your friends if you are able to get out.
Janet Alliesmama