Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:55 am I worry about cleaning the grill after reading about the wires coming off the cleaning brush and getting lodged in a child's throat. Don't you?
I do worry about those of my family and friends who use the wire cleaning brush. However they cannot be bothered to listen until maybe something serious happens.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:55 am I worry about cleaning the grill after reading about the wires coming off the cleaning brush and getting lodged in a child's throat. Don't you?
Nope; we use either foil or a tool of some kind (there's a "basket" for corn on the cobb, kind of like the basket used for whole fish (my uncle grills trout in a basket made for fish)) and a special pan if we cook vegetables out there; pizza stone for pizza. Rarely (ever? I'll have to ask DH) does anything touch the grill itself, I'm not big on cooking something on an unwashed spot where something was cooked before, it's not like we're cranking that thing up to autoclave temps. That may be weird, but if so I can live with it :lol:

I confess to being kind of stupid when it comes to grill cleaning when things actually touch the grill, doesn't it require more than just brushing? I've seen people take the (cooled) grills out, scrub and use the hose. Admittedly when we grill at an omnivore's house we bring our own non-meat protein and the foil to put under it, and DH does the actual 'grilling.' I love and trust those omnivores but I'm not eating the char that came off meat who knows how long ago.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 pm Nope; we use either foil or a tool of some kind (there's a "basket" for corn on the cobb, kind of like the basket used for whole fish (my uncle grills trout in a basket made for fish)) and a special pan if we cook vegetables out there; pizza stone for pizza. Rarely (ever? I'll have to ask DH) does anything touch the grill itself, I'm not big on cooking something on an unwashed spot where something was cooked before, it's not like we're cranking that thing up to autoclave temps. That may be weird, but if so I can live with it :lol:

I confess to being kind of stupid when it comes to grill cleaning when things actually touch the grill, doesn't it require more than just brushing? I've seen people take the (cooled) grills out, scrub and use the hose. Admittedly when we grill at an omnivore's house we bring our own non-meat protein and the foil to put under it, and DH does the actual 'grilling.' I love and trust those omnivores but I'm not eating the char that came off meat who knows how long ago.
Sandi have you bought or eaten any of the new impossible burgers or whatever they are called at Burger King? Also do you buy meat analog's? I tried some of them when I was a vegetarian and the only thing I tolerated were Boca Burgers. They were ok but I would just as happy to go without them.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm Sandi have you bought or eaten any of the new impossible burgers or whatever they are called at Burger King? Also do you buy meat analog's? I tried some of them when I was a vegetarian and the only thing I tolerated were Boca Burgers. They were ok but I would just as happy to go without them.
I have... the Impossible burger at Red Robin (they have gluten-free bun options) and the Beyond Meat "Beast" burger at home (grill on foil, LOL). They're both gluten free so I can eat them, unlike Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc.

The first time for the Impossible burger we were at the Cheesecake Factory (because for whatever reason my Mom's city doesn't have one and she wanted to go), DH ordered one and offered me a bite of the pattie. I tried it and asked him, are you SURE this isn't a regular burger? It freaked me out. Of course, I haven't had a burger since some time in the 1980s (gave up beef first) so my memory of a 'real' burger may be off, but it was scary. IMO Impossible makes a better burger than Beyond Meat, the Beast has too much smoke flavor, I end up burping smoke for hours (green peppers, cucumber, and the Beast are the only 3 things that do that to me).

I hang around with other people who are peculiar about food and one couple prefers the Beast because it's non-GMO, but technically so is Impossible's burger - the yeast they use in some portion of their process that was raised or whatever on a GMO is long gone by the time the burger is complete. Still, they're working on changing their yeast to be able to have the non-GMO label.

They're never going to be a staple of my diet but it's kind of nice to know the option is out there, especially if a gluten free bun is available.

We use Gardein's "beef" crumble and scallopini (kind of like a flat chicken breast but a much softer texture), both are gluten free. I've used gluten-free panko bread crumbs to coat the scallopini and roasted it (I don't fry) and it comes out pretty good. TVP for chili, I'll eat tofu in cubes as long as the sauce is good...

Beyond Meat had a chicken strip out, it was pretty good, now they've decided it's not good enough and took it back to development, can't find it in stores - they're partnering with KFC to try that market. I will NOT buy anything out of a KFC, ever, so I'm going to be very sad :lol: until it's back on the freezer shelf. It was GF, non-GMO, made excellent protein for a salad and could be diced to make "chicken" pot pie.

Before I knew I had Celiac disease I'd had Morning Star Farms sausage substitutes. Oh my. Too close to the real thing.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:59 pm I have... the Impossible burger at Red Robin (they have gluten-free bun options) and the Beyond Meat "Beast" burger at home (grill on foil, LOL). They're both gluten free so I can eat them, unlike Boca, Morningstar Farms, etc.

The first time for the Impossible burger we were at the Cheesecake Factory (because for whatever reason my Mom's city doesn't have one and she wanted to go), DH ordered one and offered me a bite of the pattie. I tried it and asked him, are you SURE this isn't a regular burger? It freaked me out. Of course, I haven't had a burger since some time in the 1980s (gave up beef first) so my memory of a 'real' burger may be off, but it was scary. IMO Impossible makes a better burger than Beyond Meat, the Beast has too much smoke flavor, I end up burping smoke for hours (green peppers, cucumber, and the Beast are the only 3 things that do that to me).

I hang around with other people who are peculiar about food and one couple prefers the Beast because it's non-GMO, but technically so is Impossible's burger - the yeast they use in some portion of their process that was raised or whatever on a GMO is long gone by the time the burger is complete. Still, they're working on changing their yeast to be able to have the non-GMO label.

They're never going to be a staple of my diet but it's kind of nice to know the option is out there, especially if a gluten free bun is available.

We use Gardein's "beef" crumble and scallopini (kind of like a flat chicken breast but a much softer texture), both are gluten free. I've used gluten-free panko bread crumbs to coat the scallopini and roasted it (I don't fry) and it comes out pretty good. TVP for chili, I'll eat tofu in cubes as long as the sauce is good...

Beyond Meat had a chicken strip out, it was pretty good, now they've decided it's not good enough and took it back to development, can't find it in stores - they're partnering with KFC to try that market. I will NOT buy anything out of a KFC, ever, so I'm going to be very sad :lol: until it's back on the freezer shelf. It was GF, non-GMO, made excellent protein for a salad and could be diced to make "chicken" pot pie.

Before I knew I had Celiac disease I'd had Morning Star Farms sausage substitutes. Oh my. Too close to the real thing.
Thank you for all of the information. I will have to look in to trying some of them. I try to avoid soy but once in a while might eat some tofu in an Asian dish. I usually just add extra beans and leave meat out when I make chili. I mash some up to thicken the liquid. I use to eat Morning Star sausage too. I do not have celiac I am gluten intolerant which involves a lot of muscle pain and sever itching.
Janet Alliesmama
elliejame

Post by elliejame »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:15 am Other titles up for consideration: 2019: Does it Have to be THIS hard?!? 2019: When Will The Price Skyrocket Stop? and 2019: Does Gardening Actually Save Us Anything?

But here it is.

In truth gardening somewhat saves DH's sanity, so there's that ;) But for the cost sometimes I wonder if a sane man is overrated. I'm kidding.

We are 0 - ZERO - for 3. But one of those was a travel day (gas, the rental car was free), the other was a refreshing of the empty fridge we found when we got back, and today I had to order sheets because the existing set is really buggered up. Before moving in 2015 I had a spare set of sheets. Nice ones. Gone, in the move. I thought they might crop up again when we moved in 2018 but, no. So. New sheets. For the win!

Happy New Year, people. May it be frugal, charitable, and chock full of good surprises.
Hey Sandi Happy New Year in Advance :D

I am Ellie from Charlotte, NC. i am working for Hospitality Furniture Connections, HFC is one of the best Hospitality Furniture Manufacturers in the USA, So if you need modern furniture for your hotel or restaurant then let me know :) We provide Restaurant/Hotel furniture across USA.