Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by Dgflorida »

I also cook in a fish holder when I grill. It is easier to flip the burgers or beef and no risk of whatever might grow in a "grill". The fish holder is easy to clean and kept inside between grilling.

We eat real meat because there are no carbohydrates in real meat. Hubs must stay strict and extreme low carbohydrate to manage his diabetes. The carbohydrate content of the vegetable based burger is too high for him.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:26 am We eat real meat because there are no carbohydrates in real meat. Hubs must stay strict and extreme low carbohydrate to manage his diabetes. The carbohydrate content of the vegetable based burger is too high for him.
I try to keep carbs low overall but I'm not eating enough of the fakes for those 5 grams per burger to do me much ill... those GF buns, though, THOSE could be the end of me :lol:

They're rarely good enough to bother with so I usually go the knife & fork route, but Red Robin... the bun isn't the worst, and those people serve things in baskets. How on earth...? so I eat the bun. DH would say I eat ~ 2/3s of the bun, the burger tends to slide forward and whatever's left of the bun when the burger is gone doesn't get eaten.

I'll be kind of glad when the Impossible limited-time thing with RR is over. Like the burger, but the restaurant... Just not really my thing. Maybe one run by a more enthusiastic franchisee would do the trick, whoever's running the closest one is just... tired, would be my guess. Or over it.

Too bad, he's in a good spot.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Oct 1 !!! And I'm 0 for 1 :lol:

Not for long. Dog goes to groomer tomorrow, humans to dermatologist the next day and... next week is a milestone bday for DD. She's decided contact lenses are the thing. I've warned her about the whole 'something in your eye' thing (I did fine with them as a teen and well into my mid-30s but this kid is hypersensitive), so we'll see.

That furniture order I lamented? It *might* arrive next week. We sold our existing furniture a couple weeks ago (I thought it would take longer....) so now we have patio chairs in the living room; they're new, with round bases, swivel-action, and there are ottomans, so we're not suffering and it's not like we dragged rust in or anything... but it sure looks weird in there.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Since hubs stays on Keto in order to keep his sugar down, he can only have about 20 grams of carbohydrates for the day. All vegetables have some carbohydrates and he must eat those to stay healthy. They add up to 20 grams really fast. So the 5 grams is a big deal for him. But he prefers controlling his food over additional medication. Most people don't need to. Just his cut of the cards.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

DH is out of town, which normally makes for a low spend time frame. Ha! He bought something interesting and nowhere near cheap for DD's bday. Mind you, DD already has a gift lined up, and not an inexpensive one. DH has been banned from stores in general for the remainder of his trip.

Though I will admit that the gift is, per the pic he sent me, 1) way cool and 2) not something easily sourced just anywhere, it's a artisan type thing and fits in with DD's artist aesthetic.

Outside of that, things here should stay low-key 'til Friday when both kids go to the eye doc, that's FSA $, but still $.

Still working. Every day I ask myself if today's the day, but the clients are an interesting bunch and I think I'd miss them :lol:

I think I'm right at 2 whole non-spend days for the month. 25%
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 am DH is out of town, which normally makes for a low spend time frame. Ha! He bought something interesting and nowhere near cheap for DD's bday. Mind you, DD already has a gift lined up, and not an inexpensive one. DH has been banned from stores in general for the remainder of his trip.

Though I will admit that the gift is, per the pic he sent me, 1) way cool and 2) not something easily sourced just anywhere, it's a artisan type thing and fits in with DD's artist aesthetic.

Outside of that, things here should stay low-key 'til Friday when both kids go to the eye doc, that's FSA $, but still $.

Still working. Every day I ask myself if today's the day, but the clients are an interesting bunch and I think I'd miss them :lol:

I think I'm right at 2 whole non-spend days for the month. 25%
Sometimes Dad's like to spoil their kids. My SIL was more frugal than my brother and my brother was the big Wow spender.. Kids are only kids for a while and then they grow up.. She will most likely look back and remember the present as something special in her life.
Janet Alliesmama