Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandi The final decision is yours but every hospital and nursing home I worked in over the years the Drs would write in the patients chart " may deviate from diet for holiday meal." Of course you having celiac that has to be taken in to consideration however you most likely can enjoy some of your holiday foods and maybe just have a little bit less if you are too concerned about it. I do enjoy my holiday meals but do not pig out like a lot of people do having seconds and maybe even thirds.. That is so stupid...lol. Being curious what do you cook for Thanksgiving? If you would rather not share that is ok. I understand. I no longer make pumpkin pie with a crust. I just make the filling and bake it and it eat like a pudding. It you want stuffing there are a lot of recipes on line in the low carb, keto recipes. They are also gluten free.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good luck with the holidays and the food. Keto sure helps hubs, but he is type 2.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:16 pm Sandi The final decision is yours but every hospital and nursing home I worked in over the years the Drs would write in the patients chart " may deviate from diet for holiday meal." Of course you having celiac that has to be taken in to consideration however you most likely can enjoy some of your holiday foods and maybe just have a little bit less if you are too concerned about it. I do enjoy my holiday meals but do not pig out like a lot of people do having seconds and maybe even thirds.. That is so stupid...lol. Being curious what do you cook for Thanksgiving? If you would rather not share that is ok. I understand. I no longer make pumpkin pie with a crust. I just make the filling and bake it and it eat like a pudding. It you want stuffing there are a lot of recipes on line in the low carb, keto recipes. They are also gluten free.
I LOVE to cook for Thanksgiving!! When it's just us I make the people a Tofurky vegan not-turkey (and me a Gardein Scallopini - not as texturally nice as Tofurky but a little 'poultry'-like :lol: ), DS has to have mashed potatoes made with buttermilk, vegan gravy (which I make, GF), sweet potatoes or carrots roasted with a little maple syrup and butter, fresh broccoli florets roasted with olive oil and fresh garlic, cranberry sauce from a can because both DH and I were raised with it and it stuck with both of us, and I know this sounds weird but sauteed sliced baby portobella mushrooms because they have a lot of "body" and go great with the gravy and mashed potatoes. Usually some kind of bread, either vegan GF cornbread muffins or GF biscuits, both of which the kids love. Then dessert.

I spent the first half of our marriage making "stuffing" even though I haven't stuffed poultry since before the 1990s. I was raised with it, DH was raised with it.... about 10 years ago we figured out we each eat about a tablespoon and the rest winds up wasted, we're not really fans. They kids don't see the point to it, so we stopped.

The last few years we've been invited to some friends so we make dessert - DH makes an awesome apple pie and I make a decent pumpkin pie, so we take those and sometimes a vegan.... it's sort of like a lemon meringue pie minus the meringue with equal parts lemon and PINEAPPLE in the filling, it's DH's favorite pie, and it's easy to put in any GF crust. We also recently discovered making pumpkin gingerbread, GF. Desserts are easy to transport. The next day? We make our family meal as if it were Thanksgiving Thursday - so either way we end up cooking for a day. :lol:

This year, though, I may have a challenge. I'll post that separately.
Last edited by SandiSAHM on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

For whatever reason, just the kindness of his heart or an over-abundance of his brand of empathy (my husband believes everyone feels as he feels... I'll get to that), DH wants to invite a guy who works for him to dinner this Thanksgiving. I believe it's because he feels sorry for the guy, who is single and very very far from home (he's from the Northern part of India).

I have no problem with single guys, people from India, or inviting anyone over, and fun enough the guy is vegetarian so YAY, right, I don't have to worry about not having a fully rounded meal for a conventional eater.

His dietary restrictions vary from what I'm used to. Nothing spicy. I don't even know what to do with that (another Indian guy DH works with thinks my carrot curry soup reminds him of home, THAT I can deal with, but that soup will open your sinuses, it's not something I can feed potential guest). Nut restrictions (my gravy is made with cashews), not a lot of dairy (a little milk is okay... not a lot. Buttermilk? and butter? Is that okay? Per DH "I'm not sure."

The guy sounds super nice, and suuuuper-smart, and while I haven't met him yet the general impression is he might be this >< close to being on the spectrum (Asperger's?) when it comes to the ability to speak about entirely complex code freely, but not be able to hold a more 'typical' conversation.

Help? Menu suggestions? I was trying to de-spice dessert and thought of a "cream pie," but DH says that Indians don't do sweet on the US level of sweet (if you've ever had a mango lassi, it's creamy, kind of close to a mango favor, but totally not 'sweet' so I guess that explains that...).

So I figure if we have this guest... tofurky, maybe roasted potatoes (I'll make mashed for the kids), sweet potatoes with a little less maple syrup...a salad? and...

I'm stumped for some reason. I don't know how to cook without garlic and spice. GF? no problem. Vegetarian or even vegan? No problem. Keto? I'm learning. Start messing with FLAVOR, though, and I choke.

On DH's belief that everyone feels as he does.... I'm an introvert. DH is the definition of EXTROVERT. It took a looong time for him to figure out that not everyone has to be, or is even comfortable being, in the middle of a crowd all the time. I think he's projecting a little, thinking this fellow is suffering some misery on his own over the 4-day weekend. IMO it's a little like thinking I'd be sad on my own if I lived in India and was home alone during some Indian national celebration. It's more likely I'd be totally comfortable alone chilling out with Netflix, emailing friends, calling home, eating whatever I'm comfy with, and catching up on my sleep.

I realize I could be totally wrong, so I figure I better figure out how to cook MILD, non-lactose intense low sweetness level fair reeeeally quick; and a full meal of it at that. I'm in over my head!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:31 pm For whatever reason, just the kindness of his heart or an over-abundance of his brand of empathy (my husband believes everyone feels as he feels... I'll get to that), DH wants to invite a guy who works for him to dinner this Thanksgiving. I believe it's because he feels sorry for the guy, who is single and very very far from home (he's from the Northern part of India).

I have no problem with single guys, people from India, or inviting anyone over, and fun enough the guy is vegetarian so YAY, right, I don't have to worry about not having a fully rounded meal for a conventional eater.

His dietary restrictions vary from what I'm used to. Nothing spicy. I don't even know what to do with that (another Indian guy DH works with thinks my carrot curry soup reminds him of home, THAT I can deal with, but that soup will open your sinuses, it's not something I can feed potential guest). Nut restrictions (my gravy is made with cashews), not a lot of dairy (a little milk is okay... not a lot. Buttermilk? and butter? Is that okay? Per DH "I'm not sure."

The guy sounds super nice, and suuuuper-smart, and while I haven't met him yet the general impression is he might be this >< close to being on the spectrum (Asperger's?) when it comes to the ability to speak about entirely complex code freely, but not be able to hold a more 'typical' conversation.

Help? Menu suggestions? I was trying to de-spice dessert and thought of a "cream pie," but DH says that Indians don't do sweet on the US level of sweet (if you've ever had a mango lassi, it's creamy, kind of close to a mango favor, but totally not 'sweet' so I guess that explains that...).

So I figure if we have this guest... tofurky, maybe roasted potatoes (I'll make mashed for the kids), sweet potatoes with a little less maple syrup...a salad? and...

I'm stumped for some reason. I don't know how to cook without garlic and spice. GF? no problem. Vegetarian or even vegan? No problem. Keto? I'm learning. Start messing with FLAVOR, though, and I choke.

On DH's belief that everyone feels as he does.... I'm an introvert. DH is the definition of EXTROVERT. It took a looong time for him to figure out that not everyone has to be, or is even comfortable being, in the middle of a crowd all the time. I think he's projecting a little, thinking this fellow is suffering some misery on his own over the 4-day weekend. IMO it's a little like thinking I'd be sad on my own if I lived in India and was home alone during some Indian national celebration. It's more likely I'd be totally comfortable alone chilling out with Netflix, emailing friends, calling home, eating whatever I'm comfy with, and catching up on my sleep.

I realize I could be totally wrong, so I figure I better figure out how to cook MILD, non-lactose intense low sweetness level fair reeeeally quick; and a full meal of it at that. I'm in over my head!
Yikes! I have a dear friend from India. She is from northern India and they use spices in their food but not super hot. She has returned to India to teach psychology at a University there. She is super busy or else I would contact her for suggestions. She use to make the most fabulous foods for us and when her sister came to visit she was amazing too. I even went to
Chicago with her to visit with her sister and brother-in-law for a week-end. Her sister made a lovely meal for us and then the next day she took me to an Indian restaurant for lunch. I wish I could find the same quality of food in my area. I love Indian food not just the occasional packet of Yellow Dal curry from Big Lots...lol. She gave me an Indian cookbook. If you would like for me to look through it for ideas I would be happy to do so.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:46 pm I LOVE to cook for Thanksgiving!! When it's just us I make the people a Tofurky vegan not-turkey (and me a Gardein Scallopini - not as texturally nice as Tofurky but a little 'poultry'-like :lol: ), DS has to have mashed potatoes made with buttermilk, vegan gravy (which I make, GF), sweet potatoes or carrots roasted with a little maple syrup and butter, fresh broccoli florets roasted with olive oil and fresh garlic, cranberry sauce from a can because both DH and I were raised with it and it stuck with both of us, and I know this sounds weird but sauteed sliced baby portobella mushrooms because they have a lot of "body" and go great with the gravy and mashed potatoes. Usually some kind of bread, either vegan GF cornbread muffins or GF biscuits, both of which the kids love. Then dessert.

I spent the first half of our marriage making "stuffing" even though I haven't stuffed poultry since before the 1990s. I was raised with it, DH was raised with it.... about 10 years ago we figured out we each eat about a tablespoon and the rest winds up wasted, we're not really fans. They kids don't see the point to it, so we stopped.

The last few years we've been invited to some friends so we make dessert - DH makes an awesome apple pie and I make a decent pumpkin pie, so we take those and sometimes a vegan.... it's sort of like a lemon meringue pie minus the meringue with equal parts lemon and PINEAPPLE in the filling, it's DH's favorite pie, and it's easy to put in any GF crust. We also recently discovered making pumpkin gingerbread, GF. Desserts are easy to transport. The next day? We make our family meal as if it were Thanksgiving Thursday - so either way we end up cooking for a day. :lol:

This year, though, I may have a challenge. I'll post that separately.
Sounds good. I would still like my stuffing though..lol. Aldi's has a gluten free stuffing mix this time of year and it is sort of like stove top.. Very easy to make.
Janet Alliesmama