Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by SandiSAHM »

DS, who is now taller than his father, needs shorts and pants. Ones that don't make it look like he's awaiting a flood of Biblical proportions.

DD needs shoes.

Just write me off for March :lol:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

April is going to be a financial disaster. It always is. We travel, there's gas, hotel, road trips (multiple), stuff that's traditionally purchased at an annual venue... AND... my mother wants to visit. That's always $$$.

But she's got some post-op issues that may postpone what she wants to do, so, I don't know what will happen. I know I'm catching all kinds of h3ll for not having made her flight arrangements yet but how can I know when her infection will be past the point where travel is ok?

All I know is that while I don't generally spend time wishing my life away by focusing on things that aren't 'now' - I am really looking forward to May.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Its a good thing I didn't get Mom's plane tickets.... post-op issues are ongoing and her doc wants to see her again in 2 weeks. I'm guessing it'll be May/June before she can get the okay to come out here.

I am 0 - that's ZERO - for 9. Isn't THAT something? Spent days on the road, and by that I mean 'spent' for days while on the road. Later this week we'll spend again, we need to bring the grocery status back up to normal and get some foliage for the front of the house.

I'm sick and tired... caught a cold, and after days of wee early mornings, late nights, and hotel mattresses that just can't compare to our own beds, we are some wrung-out people.

We got some chard out of the garden already! :D
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'm 3 for 14.

The boy needed shorts, and we bought flowers, fertilizer, a flower pot with a... cache pot, what is that? You know, the pretty thing that goes over an ugly flower pot so it can be indoors and look good, an arboricola we got at Aldi's was root-bound and needed something bigger to live in. Lowe's is crazy: they had marked down LOADS of plants just because they got a little waterlogged in yesterday's day-long rainstorm, we got 4 sweet potato vines, 3 geraniums (which in spite of being perennial DH kills every winter like clockwork - not for want of trying, he just can't over-winter them for whatever reason), a huge lavender and something that I'm not sure what it is, but it's healthy and just getting it into a bigger pot with some dryer dirt, it looks better already - each for $1 !! Paid regular price for a few other things, bought some stuff to attract butterflies and bees to the garden.

Last week DH went to a Jr. Achievement volunteer lunch and was sent home with a Stevia plant.

He's outside playing with all of it - I mean working. To plant it all.

Saw some of the most beautiful Japanese maples. The color on those leaves!! But they're not meant for this zone, not sure I'd spend $200 on a tree that isn't supposed to be able to survive here.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'm 6 for 20... 30% Tomorrow will be 7 of 21, 33.3%

Monday DH needs a haircut and my car will need gas. DD, who is closer to 18 than 16 at this point (but knew she wasn't ready for this until recently) has her learner's permit. I didn't learn to drive in this state (or in this millennium :lol: ) and the rules are very different here / now. I don't recall having to have a permit for 6 months and having to drive at least 50 hours in those 6 mos, 10 or more of those hours at night. Parents have to sign an affidavit that the hours have been put in before she can get her license.

At any rate the state did get us for $42.50 to get the permit. That seems high to me, but I can't remember how much was paid on the east coast in the 80s and DH doesn't remember how much his was in the southwest in the 90s either. I don't even remember what it cost me to get licensed in this state when I got here in '92.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'm 9 for 24. A little over a third.

We are going to Build A Deck in May. The garden is in, now he wants a deck.

I'm good with it either way. I can see the logic in a small one, the way the yard is laid out... but engineers don't do small. If its not a challenge, why do it, right? If it's not broken you can still make it better...

May as well plan to pay a contractor at the end of May.... To finish up the challenge. Because he'll be gone part of June and if he thinks he's leaving a half-done deck, he's a little more out there than I thought.

Watch, in the August heat we'll be finishing a deck :lol: Because he won't want to pay a contractor (we know 2, they're good friends, it wouldn't be expensive, and 1 sure needs the work). Ah!! I'll get him to pay that guy to help from the start, by playing on his sense of helping others. Then they both win :D