Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:49 pm
I found a Smart Doctor. Unfortunately he's only a consulting person but a CT found what appears to be the source of ALL this pain - my lower lumbar has no discs between the vetebra(e? what's the plural?) anymore. The bones are all down there grinding each other into powder. Which makes for inflammation and "radiant" pain. And frankly the location of the issue explains SO MUCH. I can't lay down. At all, I have to be semi-reclined with back support and my legs up to sleep or I can barely walk when I try to get up.

So... he recommended steroid shots first, because surgery is usually a last-ditch "either fix it or shoot me" option that opens the door to complications and just MORE surgery (personal note: I've had 6 surgeries and outside of the 2 that delivered my kids, I really dislike the whole process - LOVE anesthesia (it's the saline used to deliver it that I really like) but hate waking up with an incision, pain, and the whole recovery thing - Janet's on my prayer list for her recovery because THAT does not sound like fun and yet she handles it with such grace). I just want to plow through and get things done. I'm terrible at "wait."

So now I'm on the quest for a pain management / neurosurgical (but not surgical) doctor. Who takes our insurance. In rural-ish Oklahoma. NBD, right? :lol:
Sandi so sorry to hear what you are dealing with but glad you have found out what is causing you pain. I have a similar problem. My nurse practitioner gave me a systemic cortisone shot for my arthritis and firbro and the amazing thing is the back pain eased up too. Wishing you good luck in finding a way to feel better.

Thank you for adding me to your prayer list. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well. ((hug))
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I have a doc appt at - ready? - 7:45 a.m. Monday with a spine guy. Less than 24 working hours after my first call, and this is one of the best reputed practices on my side of the state. They had a cancellation. I'm thinking yeah, if I didn't hurt as bad as I do, I'd cancel a 7:45 AM MONDAY appt, too, because short of desperation, WHY, even, does that happen? DH is off Monday so he's coming with. I love him. If he ever has a before 8 appt on a day I'm off, I'll go with him, too, even if I'm useless there and it's just to get coffee after. I told him, "you could sleep in!" but, no.

I'm thinking of it as a gift :D The appt and the man.

Spending... Whoo boy. I just put gas in the car, so.... 5 out of 13 is 38%. It's little stuff, though. I should figure out a different way to chart stuff, $$ rather than days. Sounds like work, though ;)

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:37 pm
I have a doc appt at - ready? - 7:45 a.m. Monday with a spine guy. Less than 24 working hours after my first call, and this is one of the best reputed practices on my side of the state. They had a cancellation. I'm thinking yeah, if I didn't hurt as bad as I do, I'd cancel a 7:45 AM MONDAY appt, too, because short of desperation, WHY, even, does that happen? DH is off Monday so he's coming with. I love him. If he ever has a before 8 appt on a day I'm off, I'll go with him, too, even if I'm useless there and it's just to get coffee after. I told him, "you could sleep in!" but, no.

Spending... Whoo boy. I just put gas in the car, so.... 5 out of 13 is 38%. It's little stuff, though. I should figure out a different way to chart stuff, $$ rather than days. Sounds like work, though ;)
Sandi glad that you are going to be seen by a good Dr and hopefully get some good answers. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Glad that your DH is able to go with you.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

My thoughts and prayers to you. Hope this is a successful doctor visit and gives you a reduction in pain. Yes, maybe a different way to chart costs would work better for you. I tried the daily percent thing and it didn't work for me. I had to go back and ask what was my goals and did this method help me accomplish them? What I found was that I hadn't clearly established my goals. Might be something to think about. Good luck. And prayers.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:37 pm

I do not do days of no spending or percentages. I have a budget and try to stay within it. To me it all comes out of the same pot whether I spend it every day or once a week etc.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'm toying with the idea of tracking $ moved to savings (beyond what's automatically done toward investing; this would be $ moved from what's deemed "spendable" (discretionary + what's budgeted for bills) income) per pay period rather than days of spending or not.

Ah.... maybe % of overall income that was marked as spendable that got moved to savings.... because while DH's income is steady, mine varies and $X this pay period may not even be around next pay period (it varies pretty wildly when I take any time off or there's a holiday), so "% of...." seems like a better metric, straight $ might make it seem like I'm slacking... particularly the pay period that involves 2 holidays and a week of being on the road. Not a lot coming in that period.

Maybe I'll track all of it, LOL, and see if there's some correlation.

Went to Lowe's today, but it was stuff for the console so I don't mind so much :lol:

5 for 15...33.33% and it's my fault because I split the grocery shopping over two days. My back couldn't handle all of it at once - and that was with DH as backup (BACK up, LOL), just the walking was enough to mess me up.

Yeah, I need a different indicator than # of days.

OH MY GRACIOUS we went out to dinner last night (also my bad, he'd been wanting to take me to a specific place since 2017 and I'd put it off because the dish that made him think of me was a soup, and last night I was finally could enough but too gimped up to cook so I told him, it's time)... YELLOW CURRY WITH TOFU at KEO is AMAZING. Vegan, gluten-free.

Now I have to figure out how to make THAT!! I'm pretty sure I could live off that. Without the brown rice, though - carbs.