Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:11 pm
I'm toying with the idea of tracking $ moved to savings (beyond what's automatically done toward investing; this would be $ moved from what's deemed "spendable" (discretionary + what's budgeted for bills) income) per pay period rather than days of spending or not.

Ah.... maybe % of overall income that was marked as spendable that got moved to savings.... because while DH's income is steady, mine varies and $X this pay period may not even be around next pay period (it varies pretty wildly when I take any time off or there's a holiday), so "% of...." seems like a better metric, straight $ might make it seem like I'm slacking... particularly the pay period that involves 2 holidays and a week of being on the road. Not a lot coming in that period.

Maybe I'll track all of it, LOL, and see if there's some correlation.

Went to Lowe's today, but it was stuff for the console so I don't mind so much :lol:

5 for 15...33.33% and it's my fault because I split the grocery shopping over two days. My back couldn't handle all of it at once - and that was with DH as backup (BACK up, LOL), just the walking was enough to mess me up.

Yeah, I need a different indicator than # of days.

OH MY GRACIOUS we went out to dinner last night (also my bad, he'd been wanting to take me to a specific place since 2017 and I'd put it off because the dish that made him think of me was a soup, and last night I was finally could enough but too gimped up to cook so I told him, it's time)... YELLOW CURRY WITH TOFU at KEO is AMAZING. Vegan, gluten-free.

Now I have to figure out how to make THAT!! I'm pretty sure I could live off that. Without the brown rice, though - carbs.
Sandi Thai food is one of my favorites but we have to drive a very long distance to find one in our area. I like to cook at home and use Mekhala organic yellow curry paste from Amazon. It is made in small batches in Thailand. It is gluten free, and vegan. They were out of it for a while so I ordered another yellow curry paste and it was horrible so do not waste your money. Also I buy an organic coconut cream powder from Amazon instead of using canned coconut milk. I usually make my dish with chicken, onions and potatoes. A friend of mine from India said it took her a while to figure out what kind of potatoes to use for Asian cooking and she prefers red potatoes for her Indian food for absorbing the sauce so that is what I use when making my Thai yellow curry.

The Thai yellow curry paste jar has a recipe for a mushroom and tofu dish. Basically it is 1 block of firm tofu cubed, mushrooms (amount not stated) and 400 ml of coconut milk Use 1/2 of jar of the Thai yellow curry paste and cook for 10 min. The jar is small 3.53 oz. I usually am only cooking for myself so just use about a generous teaspoon and put the jar in the freezer for next time. I would imagine you would just have to increase the liquid to make the dish more soup like. If I have any in the house I do sprinkle the dish with some cilantro for taste and color.

I love Asian foods of all kind and it is hard to decide which is my favorite. I have dishes from each country that are my favorites.

Good luck on figuring out how you want to monitor your expenses.

Also good luck with your spinal Drs eval tomorrow.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Looked up the coconut milk. It is called Fu carbs organic coconut milk. When I was trying to go dairy free I used it in my coffee and it was a wonderful change. It did not have the yucky taste that powdered coffee creamers have. It is pricey $14.99 but I used gift cards to buy it.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:07 pm
Sandi Thai food is one of my favorites but we have to drive a very long distance to find one in our area. I like to cook at home and use Mekhala organic yellow curry paste from Amazon. It is made in small batches in Thailand. It is gluten free, and vegan. They were out of it for a while so I ordered another yellow curry paste and it was horrible so do not waste your money. Also I buy an organic coconut cream powder from Amazon instead of using canned coconut milk. I usually make my dish with chicken, onions and potatoes. A friend of mine from India said it took her a while to figure out what kind of potatoes to use for Asian cooking and she prefers red potatoes for her Indian food for absorbing the sauce so that is what I use when making my Thai yellow curry.

The Thai yellow curry paste jar has a recipe for a mushroom and tofu dish. Basically it is 1 block of firm tofu cubed, mushrooms (amount not stated) and 400 ml of coconut milk Use 1/2 of jar of the Thai yellow curry paste and cook for 10 min. The jar is small 3.53 oz. I usually am only cooking for myself so just use about a generous teaspoon and put the jar in the freezer for next time. I would imagine you would just have to increase the liquid to make the dish more soup like. If I have any in the house I do sprinkle the dish with some cilantro for taste and color.

I love Asian foods of all kind and it is hard to decide which is my favorite. I have dishes from each country that are my favorites.

Good luck on figuring out how you want to monitor your expenses.

Also good luck with your spinal Drs eval tomorrow.
I probably goofed yesterday when I ordered yellow curry paste; I think it was Mae somethingerother. Thank you :D I'm putting the Mekala and the Fu Carbs (did they think about that name before they went to market?) in the 'cart' for my next order - curry paste, coconut milk and SOCKS, they'll wonder what I'm up to...

What a nice doctor I went to see. I was totally terrified of this; I figured he'd do 2 things I don't handle well: 1) MRI and 2) recommend surgery (surgeon, after all) but no... he gave me drugs and prescribed PT, even chose one close to my house. If that doesn't help a lot in 30 days THEN MRI (I already have x-rays from today and a CT from 2 weeks ago) if necessary. The good news? I can't make it worse by using it. It may FEEL worse, for a while, but it's not as though every time I move I'm further destroying my spine. WHEW. There's enough pain I thought for sure I'd just try to get up one day, totally fail and end up down for the count. Apparently not any time soon.

Spending moratorium!!! DH's bday gifts are here and nothing more is needed 'til we stock for our trip (make note to take spinal pillow). We are stocked with just about everything anyway and what we don't have... we can just decide we don't need it.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandi I am glad you had a positive interaction with your spinal Dr.I do hope you respond well to therapy. I use to work in physical therapy and I have seen some really good responses to therapy. Not sure how your Dr feels about an inversion table but I have used one and it has helped me a lot. I have one in my basement and really need to get it moved upstairs so that I can use it more often.

If you ordered Mae Ploy Thai yellow curry paste that is the one I did not like. However we all have different taste buds and you may like it. However I had been spoiled by the Mekhala yellow curry paste.I hope you do enjoy making Thai at home it is so easy to make and much cheaper to make it at home plus if you are like me I do not really enjoy going out to eat that often compared to the comfort of my own home.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Not sure about where your Dr went to school but I worked with a group of Mayo clinic micro neurosurgeons and they were amazing. They would not do surgery on a patient until all avenues had been attempted. They would even send patients to chiropractors which the usual medical Drs attitudes were they are close to being quacks. I was seeing a patient and he was not responding to physical therapy and his Dr (general practitioner) asked me if I knew of a good chiropractor. I did.. and sent him to my chiropractor. My chiropractor was amazed that medical Drs were beginning to understand that they do have a place in total patient care.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I don't know where he went to school, I do know he works for a group led by a doctor who was recommended to me by the late orthopedic doctor for the Duke University basketball team (this is not a team preference, NC State has that honor ;) ). I had an ex with a problem and needed a recommendation; knew the team doc through weird circumstance - he knew a guy here, thank goodness.

The guy here fixed ex's problem (surgery) and even diagnosed something of mine while I was standing in his office and was RIGHT, whereas the doctor I'd seen before him still couldn't figure it out after an MRI. So I figure, the original doc being 25+ years older now than he was then and no longer actively practicing as much (new doc is at least 60, but that still puts him way younger than original doc) he probably doesn't bring fools into his organization. I feel reasonably safe with them, at least until their leadership retires or dies.

This PT is killing me :lol: I feel okay DURING, but good gravy give it 3 hours or a night's sleep and my muscles are like "what did you DO TO US?!?! We shall punish you!!" But I know, you have to get them used to it. It only hurts 'cause I'm a weenie.

The drug, though, Celebrex.... Wow. I'm not a painkiller user by nature but this stuff... I've actually slept pretty well the last 4 nights, and 2 weeks ago I'd have told you that would never happen again unless I could figure out how to sleep standing up.