UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
LWolfT

Re: UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Post by LWolfT »

We have it cut pretty close, but we keep a jar in the fridge for any extra coffee. DH will microwave it if he wants coffee during the day; I occasionally will make an iced coffee with it (heck, it's already cold.) If there's just a tiny bit, I may just dump it on the nearest plant ...
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:56 am I'm struggling with getting the amount of coffee I make in the morning "just right". I know, realistically, on work mornings that I'm only going to have time for ONE cup if I'm doing things the way I should be - that is getting up and exercising and getting something accomplished before work - rather than lounging in bed for an hour and a half after getting up.

So - as a result of making too much coffee several times, I have a big bag of frozen coffee cubes plus 2 jars of coffee in my freezer. I can take the jars to work and microwave the coffee for when I need a cup there. The cubes - I can toss one in baked goods or a smoothie here and there - but I really don't bake so much anymore and the weather is turning cold so don't want so many smoothies.

I need to reel this in and make less coffee!! If I need another cup once I get to work, I have a jar of instant coffee and some vegan creamer there - not my favorite but it does the trick.

How do you use leftover coffee or do you just dump it?
I have had the same problem now for awhile. I was tossing it down the drain for a bit (Hubby will not drink coffee if it is too old). Now I am trying to make a bit less and most times that seems to have solved the problem.

I used to freeze the extra and make a slushy coffee drink in the summers, but I have misplaced my trays so have been unable to do so this year.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Thought I would bring this up once again.

Yesterday I wanted to make a chef's salad. Went to open the leftover salad and found it had all gone brown. I had to toss it, and it wasn't just a little either. Dang.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I saved a 2 lb. container of strawberries yesterday. Washed and sliced them and put them in glass jars and put in the freezer. They will be good in smoothies or to thaw and toss in muffins or pancakes.

DD tossed a head of cauliflower that she thought I didn't know about. On the contrary, I know about every morsel of food in this house. Had I known she would not get around to roasting it before it went bad, I would have done so.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

bananas, DH buys them and rarely eats them, I do insite that he only gets 3 instead of 5 or 6

I'm not perfect myself, I just had to put 2 loaves of bread that I made a couple of weeks ago in the freezer for bread pudding.

IC
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I will be tossing some leftover rice and roasted potatoes tonight. I feel bad, but they got pushed to the back of the fridge shelves. I need to figure out a way to stop this from happening.
Jackie