UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Post by HappyDaze »

I've been doing very well in the "use every bit of the food" area - but the other day I did have to toss two half-heads of lettuce. It was a "bargain buy" - they were shrink wrapped together and tagged at .89 cents - but this was NO bargain because I threw .89 cents in the garbage!!

I did manage to rescue 4 onions, two green peppers and a hunk of a head of cabbage - made a rice dish with all of it.

What have you rescued or tossed lately?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
ChristmasTrees

Re: UGH - Saved Some, Tossed Some

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Lately I have been buying butter lettuce. It costs more but I get to use every single bit of it.
Because we are so rural, when I get to the store ,I tend to over buy. I don't get to all the fresh salad stuff before it goes bad. I am changing that.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 am Lately I have been buying butter lettuce. It costs more but I get to use every single bit of it.
Because we are so rural, when I get to the store ,I tend to over buy. I don't get to all the fresh salad stuff before it goes bad. I am changing that.
Trees, it took me about three times of throwing away most of a sleeve of celery to learn DON'T BUY CELERY unless I am making a huge batch of soup for the freezer.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Yesterday I had to throw out about 1/4 cup of green peas that got left in the back of my frige for a long time. They were all dried up and gross.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I had to throw out some sliced cucumber. Like your peas they got pushed to the back and I did not see them.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:37 am I had to throw out some sliced cucumber. Like your peas they got pushed to the back and I did not see them.
Jackie, cucumbers are something that I don't ever buy - for this very reason - and celery. I never use all of either one without having to throw some out. I've gone the way of "oh, I'll be more disciplined and freeze that celery", etc. - but I don't. So not buying it is my answer to that. *BIG SIGH*

Charles M. Schultz