2020: My Year for Buy Nothing New!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2020: My Year for Buy Nothing New!

Post by HappyDaze »

Hey everyone! So far so good, LOL!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

A Little Update: So, once again, I "put it out there" that I was in search of a working television set. The one I got from my brother, while I used it for a few weeks and APPRECIATED it very much - turned out to be on life support and has died.

On Tuesday, a friend of mine GAVE ME a 13" color television set. She didn't want any money for it, she and her husband still have FOUR tv sets in their home and she said this one has been stashed in the back of a closet for 3 years. I think sometimes there are things like that out there, taking up space and not being used.

I am so glad I didn't dash off someplace and buy a new set.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Well..that was a win for you AND your friend!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

UPDATE: Arrrrrgggggghhhhh!! So not only did my curling iron die, it took a big lock of my hair with it.

So - to the thrift store and picked one up for $2.99 plus tax (total $3.23), after plugging it in and testing it. The cheapest new one to be found in this town is about $15. We will see how long this second hand one will last me. It did fine this morning.

Then - to work - and my boss, who is a GEM and very supportive or all of us in our personal and professional goals - brought me an old curling iron that she doesn't use anymore (she knows about my challenge and I know about hers - it is good to have support!!).

It's only the second week of January folks - I expect many obstacles to be thrown at me throughout the year - I appreciate being able to come here and report how I handle them as they come. :-)

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

So far, I am still rocking this challenge. I have not purchased one new thing all of 2020. I almost messed up - walked into Dollar Tree the other day to buy some bleach and there were some nice food storage dishes with lids right up front and I was like "wow, these are nice and only $1" and put one in my cart - but then I caught myself and took it right back out.

I have told my parents and my daughter & her boyfriend about the challenge and they are quite fascinated - and also warned them that they may receive some strange gifts this year!

I am allowing myself to purchase greeting cards (birthday, etc.) for friends and family and to give the kiddos cash for their birthdays as I normally do - I just sent my son his card and $20 as his birthday was the 14th of January.

As for my parents, they are always on the lookout for entertaining books and magazines - I am pretty aware of what they like and will read - for example, my dad likes books that are "lists of things" - like quotes by famous celebrity people, etc. I will be on the lookout for such things for them at the thrift store.

This challenge is kind of fun - so far.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:37 am
So far, I am still rocking this challenge. I have not purchased one new thing all of 2020. I almost messed up - walked into Dollar Tree the other day to buy some bleach and there were some nice food storage dishes with lids right up front and I was like "wow, these are nice and only $1" and put one in my cart - but then I caught myself and took it right back out.

I have told my parents and my daughter & her boyfriend about the challenge and they are quite fascinated - and also warned them that they may receive some strange gifts this year!

I am allowing myself to purchase greeting cards (birthday, etc.) for friends and family and to give the kiddos cash for their birthdays as I normally do - I just sent my son his card and $20 as his birthday was the 14th of January.

As for my parents, they are always on the lookout for entertaining books and magazines - I am pretty aware of what they like and will read - for example, my dad likes books that are "lists of things" - like quotes by famous celebrity people, etc. I will be on the lookout for such things for them at the thrift store.

This challenge is kind of fun - so far.
You are doing well. I am glad you caught yourself on those food storage containers.