My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

I did well today using things up as I had state earlier what my plans were. Except I made my pizza crust using rice. I am gluten free and a while back developed a recipe to make a gluten free crust to use up rice I had in the fridge at the time. I am trying to free up some freezer space in my fridge freezer. It is the only freezer I have and it is packed to the top. I used half of the rice in the freezer and have another small bowl to use up. I add egg, some parmesan cheese, and pizza herbs and then bake it for 5 to 7 min to firm it up. Then add my tomato sauce, more pizza herbs sprinkled over that, then more parmesan and top with mozzarella cheese. Only used pepperoni tonight. Sometimes I add other toppings but was not in the mood to do so tonight. I made a small pizza and ate half for dinner and will eat the other half for lunch tomorrow.

I had to open a 15 oz can of Italian herb tomato sauce to use on the pizza and have a lot left over so I am thawing out ground chicken and will make some pasta sauce tomorrow. I am thinking of making a lasagna using egg crepes for the lasagna noodles. I got the idea from one of Suzanne Somers' cook books. She has some interesting ideas that run along the same basis as keto in some of her recipes although she does eat wheat.

I had a snack of baby carrots with some Ranch dressing. Although I had used up a bottle of Ranch dressing I had to open a new bottle now regretting that since I no longer have lettuce to make a salad. I do not want to hog the baby carrots since they are really for Teddi. He loves his baby carrots. Will have to come up with an idea on how to use it up.

I have about 23 days to go using up what I have in the house. I do not receive Soc Security until around the first of the month so will wait a few days afterwards because I am sure there are a lot more people that get their SS around the same time as well as SNAP. Sometimes the beginning of the month can be really busy shopping days.

Did not get around to making the blue berry muffins but will try again tomorrow. Spent a lot of time sorting and pitching paperwork. It never seems to end.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good evening I had planned to update things in the mornings but took a muscle relaxer this morning and I kept falling asleep. Finally rallied late afternoon enough to start to make the egg crepe lasagna. I was lucky enough to find a recipe for egg crepe lasagna in one of Suzanne Somers cookbooks. I am not the best cook but can follow a recipe. I think it is going to turn out well. I did not have ricotta cheese but did have cottage cheese so I put it in my yogurt strainer to drain the excess creaminess out of it. It called for ground beef but I used ground chicken. Also needed spinach. Good thing I try to keep a few boxes of it in the freezer to make the occasional quiche. I somehow ended up with more spinach and cottage cheese filling than the recipe called for but think it will make a nice filling for an omelet for breakfast. It is in my air fryer oven but not using the air fryer option. Used up all of my cottage cheese today and the last of a container of parmesan cheese. I do have another container of parmesan cheese.

Breakfast was cottage cheese and canned peaches. lunch was leftover pizza, and now waiting on the lasagna to finish baking.

I cleaned my coffee pot today and put it away in the pantry..sniff, sniff. I did have a cup of black tea this afternoon with evaporated milk and monk fruit sweetener. Still on the fence about the monk fruit. Do not like it my tea. Have used it with cold cereal and it was ok.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

My egg crepe lasagna turned out really good. It was labor intensive but at the same time made a lot. I froze several portions for later. I have saved a lot in the fridge and will eat off of it until I am tired of it and then freeze what is leftover. There was some leftover cottage cheese/ spinach/ and parmesan cheese mixture and I will use it in an omelet.
I have a a hand operated chopper that is great for chopping veggies. I only used one large onion but it produced more chopped onion than was needed in the lasagna. I had some hard boiled eggs in the fridge so made tuna fish salad. The onion leftover was quite a lot and so I used two cans of tuna fish.. Tuna fish in cans is a joke these days. I wonder how much smaller they can make the cans?

The nice thing is with the lasagna and tuna fish salad I have quite a few meals prepared ahead.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Did very well today with the pre made meals. I skipped making an omelet with the leftover spinach and cottage cheese filling and ate lasagna for breakfast. It taste even better today. The only thing I would change is to add more garlic to the meat sauces the next time I make it.

I had pork rinds and green olives with my tuna fish salad.

Had a mid day snack of walnuts with a few chocolate chips.

Dinner more lasagna.

Did not drink bone broth today just did not appeal to me but did drink several cups of tea with some evaporated milk and monk fruit for a sugar sub. Also a can of strawberry flavored sparkling.

I was up super early this morning 3:20 AM and had to take Teddi for his grooming appointment at 10:00 AM while he was busy I dropped my recycling off at the county dumpster. Went to a key shop nearby and had 4 keys made to give to various people incase they need to get in to my house if anything happens. Still had time to kill so drove to an empty parking lot and read some magazines that I brought incase I needed to kill time. I thought of buying a cup of coffee to drink while reading and to help pass the time but talked myself out of it since I am not suppose to be drinking coffee and the cost for one cup is outrageous. Next time I will bring a travel mug of tea or something to drink.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Blew the budget today. I took Teddi to the Vet today for an allergy shot ($66.00). Mentioned to her that the groomer thought his ears looked oily yesterday. They asked for permission to do a swab of his ears and he has a yeast infection in both of them. With allergy shot, office visit, testing, and medication it came to $224.25! Poor little guy. He has not wanted to eat anything and has been sleeping most of the afternoon and evening. Sometimes he just wants to be held and does not even want a belly rub, his favorite thing in this world, so I know he is not feeling well. I have been washing all of his bedding and now washing my sheets and blankets in hot water and detergent since he sleeps with me. I do not want any kind of yeast spores hanging around. Do not know if they do but do not want to take a chance. Good thing I had planned on not buying any food the rest of the month. I need to see how far I can stretch things in to the month of January.

I did well today food wise. I ate lasagna for all three meals..lol. I had to thaw out the lasagna from the freezer but that is ok. I really like this recipe and it does not make my blood sugar go up. I may have to order some of the ingredients again to make it but will make do with what I have for now and make something else tomorrow. Food is the one area where I am able to save a little bit of money so many of my bills are a set amount each month.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Teddi still not feeling well and refused to eat. I made three different plates of food and he did not even go near any of them. He slept all day except when I would tell him it was time to go out to potty. He would wake up and go out on his own power but went right back to sleep. Around dinner time I opened a can of salmon and decided to see if he would eat some.. He did. So will try to feed him more salmon. The vet said he might be allergic to beef and/or chicken and those are the two meats he gets in his fresh pet food from Petco.

I finished the last of the lasagna for breakfast with two cups of tea. lunch was tuna fish salad with pork rinds in place of crackers or bread with pickled jalapeno peppers to give it some zip. Dinner was a few bites of salmon. I had a midafternoon snack of just plain peanut butter on a spoon.. Just too tired to do much else today. I have some canned spinach that I am going to open and nuke in a few minutes.

Meals are hit and miss today. Need to try to cook ahead tonight. I have a nice portion of cottage cheese, spinach and parmesan cheese leftover from the lasagna and I am going to use it for a base to make a quiche tonight. I need to add onions and cheddar cheese.

I worked on and off sorting and pitching paperwork today so it was not a total loss.

Hopefully Teddi and I will spunk up tomorrow.
Janet Alliesmama