My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Yesterday I used some of the money my brother gave me for Christmas on a curbside pick up at Walmart. It was a minimum order basically to fill in fresh dairy and fresh produce. Since it was free I decided to splurge and buy bacon. The diet I plan on trying out, starting in January, requires 2 strips of bacon each morning for breakfast. I ordered (2) one pound packages of bacon at $3.47 a package. However before pick up I was notified that they were out of the one pound packages and were going to sub in( 2) 24 oz packages with my permission. They charged me the same price of $3.47 but normally the 24 oz. packages would cost $5.18. So for about $1.71 each I received another 2 pounds of bacon. Also I put the order on my credit card and will get some cash back...woo hoo. I also ordered a small half ham since it would be free with my Christmas money.

Since I am canceling Amazon Prime in January I decided to look at Amazon pantry. I have $15.00 in gift cards and might earn more before now and the time I have to cancel on the 11th. Amazon pantry requires a minimum of $25.00 and a fee of $12.99 monthly to belong is ridiculous now that I can get things locally at Walmart and Aldi's. Other stores are also offering curbside pick up. I was surprised to see so many things in pantry that were "no longer available" or "temporarily out of stock" Reminds me of when the pandemic first hit in March. Not sure if people are stocking up or if the supply chain is slowing down? Anyway I will be using the gift cards and hopefully add more if not will use some of the Christmas money from my brother to do a minor stock up and then save the $12.99 to buy things here in my community.

One of my goals in 2021 is to only buy fresh dairy and fresh produce as needed and hopefully use gift cards or cash earned on my various survey sites. I plan on using a lot of the foods I have stockpiled and to see how far I can stretch things.

The other day I had to go to my brothers house to drop something off and my SIL sent home ham and beans that she had made from their Christmas ham. She also sent home over a half pound of ham. That was a great bonus since I had ordered a half ham from Walmart to be picked up the next day. I went home and canceled the ham on my order. That saved $7.00+. I put the ham in the freezer for my New Years Day dinner. Today I am going to make gluten free cornbread for dinner and enjoy it with my ham and beans.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Janet, thank you for mentioning that Aldi has started curbside pickup in your area. I checked the Aldi website and the two Aldi closest to me do not have it yet but one a bit further away that I’ve been to once or twice does have it! It is not that far, fairly close to the library where I attended genealogy club before the pandemic. I couldn’t find the fee but it is probably the same $1.99 as in your area. They do say they charge for the Aldi bags which I believe are .10 each. It says the first order has no fee when you buy $35. Also, no tipping. I’ll be anxious to try it! Thanks again for mentioning it. I never would have known since I haven’t been into Aldi since March.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:55 pm Janet, thank you for mentioning that Aldi has started curbside pickup in your area. I checked the Aldi website and the two Aldi closest to me do not have it yet but one a bit further away that I’ve been to once or twice does have it! It is not that far, fairly close to the library where I attended genealogy club before the pandemic. I couldn’t find the fee but it is probably the same $1.99 as in your area. They do say they charge for the Aldi bags which I believe are .10 each. It says the first order has no fee when you buy $35. Also, no tipping. I’ll be anxious to try it! Thanks again for mentioning it. I never would have known since I haven’t been into Aldi since March.
I did not realize it either until my brother mentioned it to me. He is gluten intolerant like me and he and his wife like the gluten free stuffing mix from Aldi's. They only sell it around the holidays. I refused to go in to the store due to my Aide said one of her other clients developed covid after going in to Aldi's. She said there was a man in the store coughing and not wearing a mask and no one did anything about it. Her client said that was the only place she had been in months since she has been isolating home alone. She assumed that is where she caught covid. She was in the hospital for a month. She got off lucky compared to other people.

My brother said they do charge $1.99 but to me worth it if I need something from there. Right now my pantry and fridge and fridge freezer are stuffed but good to know for the future. Glad I could give you a little bit of a suggestion to check in to it in your area.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

As the year is almost over I looked to see if I achieved my 2020 goals.. NOPE!...lol. As they say the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray. Had several unexpected vet bills in the over $200.00 per visit range for Teddi due to his allergies and ear infections. Also bought supplements to add to his food to help, and increased his grooming sessions to every 4 weeks with special shampoos, in hope of making him feel better. Also stepped up the frequency of his allergy shots at $62.00 a shot. Not much of anything seems to help him. He was my biggest out of budget expense this past year. Had to have some things done on my car that were unexpected. Paid more for some household supplies and groceries trying to stock up and stay ahead of things due to the pandemic. Not sure what to set as goals right now with the pandemic. The main thing is to set up a budget and try to save as much money as I can. I will try not to buy anything that is not in my budget. I plan on repurposing things and if I do buy anything I am hoping to use gift cards and cash earned from my various survey sites to help cover the cost.

Despite everything I feel like I had a good year. I have a good family. We do not see each other that much but I do know all it takes is a phone call to reconnect with them. I have a lovely home. It does need some repair work done but I think I can manage that with my budget. Also have a wonderful aide that is kind and helpful and we have great conversations due to similiar interest. So life is good here no complaints.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, could you send a letter to Teddi's vet outlining everything that's been done and asking if there's perhaps a more simple, less expensive approach that might bring him relief? You could possibly get a telephone visit and discuss it with him as a follow-up to the letter, especially since they know you have mobility issues and are on a limited income.

I know how discouraging it is to try so many things and still see your dog suffering. :( (((HUGS)))
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:54 pm Janet, could you send a letter to Teddi's vet outlining everything that's been done and asking if there's perhaps a more simple, less expensive approach that might bring him relief? You could possibly get a telephone visit and discuss it with him as a follow-up to the letter, especially since they know you have mobility issues and are on a limited income.

I know how discouraging it is to try so many things and still see your dog suffering. :( (((HUGS)))
Mackie when I took Teddi for his most recently allergy shot a few weeks ago we had a telephone conversation after she examined him. At that time I found out he had a yeast infection in his ears. Sometime after the first of the year we are going to try a prescription dog food. She said the manufacture will give me a trial period with his food and if it does not help Teddi I will get a full refund. I just need to work on my budget to see how much I can afford his food if it does help. He is about to run out of his fresh pet food from Petco and I am going to try the homemade fish, potatoes, and green beans you have mentioned you have given to you dog to see if he will eat that. He is very picky. He does like the potatoes and I have tried the salmon and he did eat it so will start to gradually change him over mixing them with his fresh pet food. Thank you for your concern and the ((hugs)).
Janet Alliesmama