My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:06 am What's the name of the brand of bread mix that was out of stock?

I like Bob's Red Mill's hearty whole grain but I've never tried it 'outside' the bread maker.
Gluten Free Hearty Whole Grain bread mix at Oh Nuts. You buy it by the pound no brand name given. A friend just told me you can buy Bob's Red Mill online through Walmartcom. I am going to check on it later today to compare prices.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:17 pm Gluten Free Hearty Whole Grain bread mix at Oh Nuts. You buy it by the pound no brand name given. A friend just told me you can buy Bob's Red Mill online through Walmartcom. I am going to check on it later today to compare prices.
You can also get Bob's Red Mill at Vitacost - I go through Rakuten (was ebates) to get additional % back. It's usually the best $ on BRM, at least that I've found. I wait for sales, DD likes their GF pizza dough mix.

Oh, at Amazon, too. I used to use Subscribe & Save for that, but eventually the $ crept back up and Vitacost became a better deal.

Going to look at Oh Nuts now, thanks :D
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:13 pm You can also get Bob's Red Mill at Vitacost - I go through Rakuten (was ebates) to get additional % back. It's usually the best $ on BRM, at least that I've found. I wait for sales, DD likes their GF pizza dough mix.

Oh, at Amazon, too. I used to use Subscribe & Save for that, but eventually the $ crept back up and Vitacost became a better deal.

Going to look at Oh Nuts now, thanks :D

Sandi Thanks for the information. I sometimes buy things at Vitacost. In fact I am still using up a lot of things I bought on Cyber Monday a year ago from VitaCost. Some things were BOGO. Same at Bob's Red Mill I did great with their cyber Monday discounts. Sometimes I can find Bob's Red Mill items at Big Lots ie their gluten free Old Fashion Oats.

I do buy a lot of my things at Oh Nuts. They invited me to be a member of their Peanut Gallery a while back. I am somewhat supplied with a lot of things so going to try to use up what I have on hand before ordering anything else except for the bread mix. I have gift cards earned elsewhere for Walmart and Amazon so as long as I can use them to obtain the bread mix free or at a lower cost with the gift cards I will do so. I am still going to be on the lookout for a home made recipe for the bread. I will let you know if I find it.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I was so busy this morning I forgot to eat.. I gave Teddi his 1.5 boiled eggs and then just ate the other half. It was 10:30 AM before I realized I had not taken my medication. So I had 1/3 cup of cottage cheese so that I could take my medication and then made fresh coffee with half and half (free). I am working on sorting and pitching paperwork and coffee is mandatory..lol

Lunch was a tuna melt made with tuna fish salad I made the other day. Loved using my grain free homemade bread from yesterday. Also added a slice of Swiss cheese. My aide was kind enough today to bring me 4 organic Gala apples, some Swiss cheese and cheddar cheese. She said she will not be able to eat all of the apples before they go bad. Her DD had gifted her with a lot of cheese and she knew she would not be able to eat it before it went bad. Also she brought me two freezer containers of creamed spinach. Her Dr told her she can no longer eat it due to her current medial problems. Each container has two servings. I offered to pay her but she refused. I am really happy with what she brought to me. I had given her some of my homemade bread yesterday when it was still warm from the oven with a light smear of butter and she was thanking me for sharing with her. Also I sent bread home with her today to make a sandwich or to make toast with her breakfast.

Dinner was a quick fry up of a couple of sausage patties, an egg, and two slices of homemade bread toasted. The second slice of toast I used some of my yummy cherry jam. I have about one more portion left then it is good bye.. I have other jams in the pantry but cherry is my favorite.

I ate one of the apples and a couple of slices of cheese for snacks today.

Yesterday evening I decided to buy some meat to stock my fridge freezer. It is a meat bundle and I am hoping it will help me to loose weight. Everything is in individual portion sizes. However since I am not a big meat eater I will most likely eat half of a portion for my meals and add more veggies and salads. I need to loose weight for my back surgery and with my current medical problems it will be easier to thaw out a meat portion and cook it without having to come up with menu ideas or cooking full recipes. I bought it from one of the TV shopping programs so was able to put it on flex pay thus breaking it up into small monthly payments. So I can just put it in my budget under groceries and be billed monthly until paid off. I have been working on eating down my freezer foods and this will work out well. The food does not come until some time next week which will give me plenty of time to finish eating up what is still bulky.

The tree trimmers showed up today. They wanted to cut the limbs down before the sleet and ice storm hits tomorrow. Bummer. I had a BID of $100.00 which I sort of have. Seems that my credit card company, that was suppose to only take $32.00 out of my bank account, removed $217.00 which is what I had been paying for the last several years. I called them and they are going to send me a refund check but it will not arrive for 3 to 5 business days. I am just hoping that my contractor, who is to paint my ceiling, does not call next week since my bank account is going to get very low until I receive the money back. I asked about an electric refund but that would take 7 to 9 days.. Bummer.

We are suppose to have sleet and freezing rain tomorrow but I need to go to the grocery store to pick up some really good bargains. Tomorrow is a one day only sale so I will have to get up early before the bad weather hits. I do have cash that will cover the cost. The bad weather is suppose to arrive about the time my aide comes so I will have to get up and out of here and back home before she arrives and it starts. Then will spend the week-end all nice and cozy in my house with a fire in the fireplace and cooking something.. not sure yet what.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Cannot sleep so up doing things. I just took some generic Benadryl to see if that will help to promote sleep.

I went back over my grocery list and wrote things down that I thought I needed/wanted. Did a fridge and pantry check and decided that I actually have enough of the sale items on my list already and can most likely do without them until the next sale. The fact that the money saved would be less than the cost of gas was also a factor. That is one of the things I have learned over the last few years. Write things down and do not be impulsive about buying things. After a waiting period go back over the list and make a judgement call. Nine times out of 10 it is a want and not a need. Yes it would be nice to stock up on these items but at the same time I already have enough to get me through the next few months and most likely they will be on sale again before then. I will be going shopping next week for a few sale items with my aide but the one day only sale items are not that important.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Did the tree trimmers do a good job?