My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by floridacatlover »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:14 pm Today was a bit pricey. Had to buy eggs,frozen veggies, bird seed, and baby carrots for Teddi. He is getting low on carrots so decided to buy them while I was out. Also bought some salmon burgers for quick meals. I hope they taste as good as they look. I caved and bought a Lean Cuisine meatloaf dinner. It was basically a slice of meat loaf with some gravy and mashed potatoes.

Went to Petco to stock up on Teddi's fresh dog food. I bought smaller rolls in different flavors thinking he might want a change of flavor since he has been off of his food lately. Also a few "cookies" at the snack bar. Finally found a hard chewy thing that he would actually try. In the past I have bought things to help with his gums and usually the little dog down the road becomes the recipient. The last time we were at the vet's office she informed me that he needs to have something to chew on since he has stage I gum problems. The thing is he is so small and his teeth so tiny nothing seemed to interest him. Today he was a happy camper and chewed away. I will have to get more the next time I am in town.

The big purchase was on Amazon. I have been reading more and more about the Candida gut problem on other sites. They all recommend eliminating fluoride. After doing research I looked on Amazon and they of course had what I was looking for. Is there anything they do not carry?..lol. The water pitcher I ordered eliminates fluoride as well as other elements or decreases them significantly. Up to as 200 other elements. There are more expensive pitchers and bigger systems to do the filtering but money was my main concern. It was listed on several sites as best for 2020 and the best for removing fluoride. It can actually be used to filter water from a lake or a pond if necessary. I added two bags of a special tea that is suppose to help with Candida gut healing. It is call pau d'Arco tea. I had $40.01 cent in gift cards and combined with the $6.00 in cash from surveys so the bottom line was not too painful $39.37.

With all of the purchases it was big bite out of my budget today. February is still going to be a tight budget month. The veggies were necessary as were the eggs,carrots, and bird food however the Lean Cuisine meal was a want and not a need. I again did not read the fine print. It was not until I was preparing it for the microwave that I saw the bottom ingredient line for the meal...it has gluten in it! Why? I never make meatloaf with flour or gluten. Maybe it was a thickener for the little bit of gravy. I already had it out of the box so I went ahead and nuked it and ate it. That was about two hours ago. I now have a pounding headache, muscle pain and itching all over. It will take a couple of days to get back on track. The reason I bought the meal was because I knew I would not have the energy to make dinner. I had planned on making a cabbage and ground beef soup but the meat was not thawed enough before I left to run errands. No matter what needs to be done tomorrow I am going to have to dedicate the day to cooking ahead. Teddi is snoozing on my bed. I think I will stretch out and rest for a while too..
Janet, I have no answers but just think there must be a better way for you to eat without totally exhausting yourself and spending all day cooking. It seems you are trying to eliminate so many items from your diet. If this diet worked for your brother, how does he manage his meals? What symptoms are you trying to heal with this diet and are you fairly certain it is right for you? Have you talked with your doctor about referring you to a nutritionist? I gave up frozen meals awhile ago but I believe some are specifically gluten free. I know nothing and could definitely eat better (especially the last two days with the “sweet treats” get together) but I’d be totally stressed trying to do what you do. (((Hugs)))
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

My brother has a wife that cooks for him. She is in Mexico and has been for months. She did cook ahead and freeze things for him to eat. His youngest DD and her son are living with him now so she cooks for him. Sometimes he eats out at a local village restaurant. Basically he orders grilled fish and a salad when he eats out. He follows a different leaky gut diet than I am since we have two different problems. Basically he eats two hard boiled eggs in the morning and does not eat until dinner time. He is not a diabetic but I am so I need to try to eat balanced meals. I try to eat no more than 45 carbs per meal One of the things that happens when you are working on correcting a leaky gut is you have a rebound affect that makes you more fatigued and actually feeling sick due to the candida die off. When I went gluten free the third day I had such severe tremors I could not sleep in bed. My back was arching and my arms and legs were flopping around. I thought I cannot live like this. The fourth day I felt like a new person. At the time I was so depressed and on Prozac and seeing a psychologist. My psychologist had referred me to a psychiatrist for a medicine change. By the end of the week I realized my depression was gone and so was my fibromyalgia. I gradually went of Prozac with the permission of my Dr. I do have flairs of fibro when I eat something with gluten. I do cheat sometimes but only for a day or two and I do suffer with muscle pain and itching. Stupid! However is is hard to break a lifetime habit of eating certain things.

I have talked to my nurse practitioner about going on the leaky gut diet. She is all for it. Currently I have to get B-12 shots monthly and sometimes weekly. She has told me that in order to stop the shots I need to have the necessary ability to absorb B-12 through my gut and right now that is not happening. I just want to be as healthy as I can be.

My brother has stopped and even reversed a short nerve degeneration disease. The Drs told him there was no medical treatment to stop it. However his last Dr told him to try holistic and that is how he got in to the leaky gut diet.

Thanks for your concern.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I was concerned about vitamins for hubs who is on a strict keto diet. So I understand your concerns. Seems like a never winning situation. Good luck.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:48 am I was concerned about vitamins for hubs who is on a strict keto diet. So I understand your concerns. Seems like a never winning situation. Good luck.
Have you had your DH's B-12 and Vitamin D checked? I was severely deficient in both when they checked me. My medical Dr said the low VIt D could contribute to my pain. Also my B-12 is seriously low most of the time and if I go 5 weeks without a B-12 shot it drops down in to the dangerously low category. I miss going sometimes monthly due to weather or not feeling well enough for the 50 mile round trip to have the shot. Then I have to restart and go weekly for a month.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Today has been a lost in space day. I did not get to sleep until after 4:00 AM due to the severe itching from eating gluten despite taking double doses of generic benadryl evey 4 hours. I finally fell asleep and did sleep until late in the morning. Forget now what time but it was around 9:00 AM when I finally got moving. I did my usual morning computer things, fed Teddi, the birds, and scrambled a couple of eggs for my breakfast and a had a cup of bone broth. Still was not feeling like doing much due to the benadryl finally catching up with making me feel sleepy and unmotivated. I tried to read a book but then Teddi and I napped in my recliner.

Lunch and dinner was the last can of the all meat chili ($2.62 ? I forget the exact amount but close) combined with a can of pinto beans (.99 cents). I will have 5 servings from this batch so about (.72 cents) a serving. I have enough left for a skimpy serving for lunch tomorrow. I did not drain the beans this time due to watching a cooking show that stated the fluid in the can gives your chili more body and flavor.It also gave me another serving. I have not checked things recently but when you buy a can of veggies it it interesting to note the 14.5 oz can has almost as much fluid as it has product. It is legal to state there is 14.5 oz but most likely there is about 8 or less oz of beans or veggies in the can. That is why including the juice from the beans gave me another serving of chili.

I did not take any benadryl today since I was too drowsy from what I took last night. I will take a dose of benadryl close to bedtime. I am not taking anything for the muscle pain I do not like to take too many drugs and the pain will wear away hopefully by tomorrow. A lesson learned the hard way. No more cheating on gluten. Not worth the misery of itching and pain. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

So sorry to hear that you had a rough day with itching and such. Hope today is better.

I discussed the vitamin thing with the doctor last year and he didn't feel it was needed or even tested. Vitamin D requires cholesterol in order for the body to create it. Hubs has cholesterol and I make sure he gets some sun. B-12 is derived from meat protein and such and hubs gets plenty of that. His pain is a combination of post polio and advanced knee arthritis which is very clear on x-rays. He is not a suitable knee replacement candidate. The pain medication works well for him so far. But he was dumb to continue going to the gym when he was off it. So his body gave him a painful kick in the foot. Now that he is back on his medication, everything is fine. I appreciate the thoughts and ideas. Always keep them coming.