My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

Janet, I am enjoying your updates a lot. And I appreciate the reminder to pick up some bird seed for my mom. She has given up feeding the birds - which she enjoys so much - due to their pension running out and just having their social security to live on and I dislike that!

The bird seed I got her for Christmas must be about gone. I'm going on President's day to help her with some things at her house - so will take some more.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:12 pm Janet, I am enjoying your updates a lot. And I appreciate the reminder to pick up some bird seed for my mom. She has given up feeding the birds - which she enjoys so much - due to their pension running out and just having their social security to live on and I dislike that!

The bird seed I got her for Christmas must be about gone. I'm going on President's day to help her with some things at her house - so will take some more.
What a great gift for Christmas. I remember when Dad lived on a lake and my nephews shelled a bushel of corn for him to feed the ducks. He thought that was a wonderful gift.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sound like a lovely and loving thing to do.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am in use it up mode. However I do have a LOT of food to work with. Hopefully, except for eggs, I might not buy anything until March. My stuffed pepper soup turned out great. I have three pint sized containers left. I am going to keep one for lunch for tomorrow and freeze two for another time. I cooked two large beef patties and one turkey burger to make the soup. I decided there was going to be too much meat in the soup so I kept out a portion. Today I combined the meat with some leftover chili. Originally the chili was not enough for a meal but with the two combined I was able to make 2 small burritos. I added some fresh cilantro, fresh chopped onion, and a few pickled jalapeno peppers. The flour tortillas were gluten free and really did not hold together well. I was happy when I saw them in the store but the taste and texture are not the same or a close miss to wheat based tortillas. The chili was from another time. I had bought some chili on sale that was suppose to be all meat no beans. It was primarily sauce with a few bits of meat. So I opened a can of pinto beans to thicken it. The first bowl was ok since it was a quickly opened can of beans added to the chili however I realized they needed to be simmered together to make them blend the chili taste in to the beans. The second time I heated the chili and beans together and then it tasted much better. From now on I will just buy chili with beans. I have been looking for something for long term storage that would be easy to heat and eat if the power goes down.

Breakfast was an omelet using fresh mushrooms and onion.
I have switched to Bone broth in the morning as my morning drink. It is a powder that you add to water or juice, even coffee if it is allowed on your particular leaky cut diet. It is more savory than the chocolate collagen. It sort of reminds me of coffee. The chocolate collagen is nice but I think I will save it more for dessert or mid afternoon snack.

Lunch was two small burritos.. I really, really,really missed not being able to put cheese or sour cream on them.

Dinner was two small bowls of my stuffed pepper soup. Drinking one of my grape Zevia sodas for dessert.

Seems all I do is cook and do dishes but it is a lot cheaper and healthier eating at home.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:21 pm
Seems all I do is cook and do dishes but it is a lot cheaper and healthier eating at home.
That is how I feel most days as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

There are advantages to having insomnia. Most days I wake up before the sunrise. While working on things at my computer I can glance out the window and gradually see the sun rise. This morning I was enjoying the early morning sky changing from black to shades of gray. Sorry about the reference but they really were shades of gray. Then a combination of raspberry and blue then to a raspberry ripple. Then with the sun about to peek over the hills I thought it looked like butterscotch pudding and then Ta Da the Sun. It reminded me of a lovely apricot.. Then I thought, Oh my gosh all of my thoughts were all based on food associations...lol Foods that I am not allowed to eat right now. I need to get a grip on my eating and direct my thoughts in a different direction.

Breakfast was a small bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and a dot of butter.

Lunch will be the leftover stuffed pepper soup. I am going to try to make some gluten free biscuits to go with it. I have a mix that needs to be used up. My energy is staring to go.

Dinner will be a stir fry of kielbasa, cabbage, and onions. A few potato cakes made with onion and leftover mashed potatoes.. Also will cook down some of my home grown pears for dessert and snacks.
Janet Alliesmama