My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

I am glad you have tea to fall back on. The little things can bring such comfort at this time of stress. I wish you energy to get your inventory done.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 am
I am glad you have tea to fall back on. The little things can bring such comfort at this time of stress. I wish you energy to get your inventory done.
Thanks Dg..
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

The sky is finally starting to lighten up to a nondescript gray. The birds are foraging on the deck. I have not put out their daily ration yet. They are looking for seeds in cracks and I am allowing them to do that in order to get the most food from the seeds that I am putting out there for them. Despite cutting their daily rations the deck was quite busy yesterday during the lovely snowfall. At first we had freezing rain and then big fluffy flakes some the size of a quarter. The ground was too warm so no accumulation. However the deck is high and there was a lot of accumulation of snow, about an inch, for a couple of hours.Then it melted off. I put seeds under my patio table as well as various other areas so they were kept busy despite the snow. Dennis the Menace, my resident squirrel, was also under the table munching. Each day presents itself in a different way.

My ALS (Lou Gehrigs) is starting to go into high gear. I have a rare inherited form of ALS. It is unique to my family in how it goes in cycles.Starting in the Spring it sort of ramps up and goes throughout spring and summer in to Fall. Then if I am lucky it might go in to remission from late Fall in to winter. Sometimes it does not go in to remission but does slow down. One of my biggest problems is overwhelming fatigue. Combined with being diabetic things do become challenging. I am fortunate that I do qualify for in home care through the Department on Aging. My brother is freaking out concerned that my aide will bring something to me from being out and about for her other clients. I will discuss this with her tomorrow. She is a very good worker and wears gloves even when taking my dishes out of the dishwasher. I am thinking if I stay in my bedroom she can do what she needs to in the rest of the house and I will have to maintain distance while she is here. I need to find information on how long her contact can last in the other part of my house.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I managed to take inventory of the upper wire drawer in my fridge freezer. This is the second fridge I have had with the freezer on the bottom. I highly recommend them. When I had a freezer on top I had to sit in a chair to get things out of the fruit and veggie bins or to get things off of the lower shelf. The freezer has two wire drawers that slide out for easy access and it is easy to see and reach the bottom shelf and the fruit and veggie keepers in the fridge.I removed everything from the top drawer and put it on a big bath towel on my countertop so that I could put similar foods in groups to take inventory. I had to do this in stages due to fatigue but if you put a big fluffy towel over the items they do not thaw. Sometimes I just need a 10 or 15 min break on the couch and since my Great Room and kitchen are all in one area not a problem.

Checked the meat in the fridge to find the expiration date. The ground sirloin needed to be used today. I did not want to take the time to make a meatloaf so decided to fry it and freeze it. However while going through the freezer saw a package of corn tortillas so I decided to add taco seasoning and use the meat for tacos, enchiladas, and nachos down the road. Then I realized I have a ton of zucchini to be used. I had bought them to make low carb "mac" and cheese and low carb "lasagna" for my nephew. I use the zucchini to replace the pasta. So I removed around 1/2 cup of ground beef before adding the taco seasoning. I will use it when I make low carb lasagna. Of course the skillet was not as full so I shredded some of the zucchini about 1/3 of a cup and added it to the meat. It does help to add bulk. Tastewise you cannot tell it is zucchiin however it does stick out like a sore thumb against the darkness of the meat and sauce. It will not bother me but if you have picky people in your family they might question it. If I do this again I will shred the zucchini and then chop it much finer to blend.

I saw on the news, just a few minutes ago, that this shut down might go on until June. Yikes! I feel sorry for families that are struggling with finances and food not to mention trying not to have a meltdown being sheltered at home so long.

Of course Teddi decided today he was going to get sick. Usually he is in my hip pocket. No matter what I am doing he follows me from room to room. He was sleeping on my bed in my bedroom and stayed there when I left. He finally came in to the Great Room and wanted to be up in the recliner beside me. After about 10 min he jumped down and started throwing up. He went out to potty and when he came in he curled up in to a little ball on his pillow by the deck door. He did not move for a couple of hours. I did check on him but he was sleeping.. I am in my bedroom now and he has followed me which makes me feel better. He needed a cuddle for a while and now sleeping on my bed again. I hope it is just one of those 24 hour things that he gets from time to time.

Break time is over. Need to get back to kitchen duty.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

It has been a long but productive day. I still have more work ahead of me tomorrow. I need to process the zucchini for the freezer. I will cut some of it up in to cubes to use to make low carb mac and cheese.Also will cut some in to long strips to make lasagna noodles and use my spiralizer to make zoodles. I will use them in place of spaghetti. Also I will need to inventory the bottom wire drawer of my fridge freezer. That can be put off another day or two since I do need to do some cooking ahead.

Today I had my usual oatmeal but starting to rethink just throwing some raisins in the bowl. I am now counting them to see how long I can make them last. I used 20 in my bowl today. That seemed to be a good ratio. Did not make coffee just reheated the leftover coffee from yesterday. Using whole milk from the fridge. I had bought a gallon for my nephew but my brother said they were doing ok. I am going to portion it out tomorrow in jars with 1 cup to a jar and freeze it. I really should be dairy free but right now cannot waste anything. Besides I love my dairy and this is a good excuse to use it..lol.

For Lunch I was so tired I just opened a can of salmon and put some in a bowl and called it lunch. I ate an apple a little later in the afternoon for a snack.

Dinner was impromptu. While going through the veggie drawer realized one of the onions was not going to last much longer so trimmed it up and cooked it in some ghee then added one bratwurst from the freezer. I had thawed it out but was not sure what I was going to make with it. I cut the brat up in to small bites by slicing it in to thin rings then each ring into quarters. I added that to the sauteed onion. Then I remembered I had sauerkraut from the other day in the fridge. So added a healthy amount of sauerkraut to the skillet. It was very filling and I have enough leftover for lunch or dinner tomorrow. I also ate a 1/2 cup of applesauce with the brat and sauerkraut. So by adding the sauerkraut and onion I was able to stretch one brat to last for two meals.

Teddi rallied around in the late afternoon. He was looking for food in his usual spot so I gave him some and he scarfed it down without a problem He also begged for some baby carrots so cut two of them up in to long quarters for him. His mouth and teeth are so tiny he cannot chew a regular sized baby carrot.

While doing pantry inventory I realized I only had one can of canned carrots left. So I am going to reserve them for Teddi for when I make his dog food. I have dehydrated carrots that I can use when I make soup. Also I do have some fresh ones that I will keep a close watch on for Teddi. He loves his carrots and when the baby carrots run out I can cut the regular sized carrots up for him. They last a very long time in the tea towel in the fridge. I broke them up in to two bundles today to hopefully keep them fresher longer. If I see they are not going to stay fresh enough I can cook them down and put them in the freezer for my own cooking or for Teddi. Also as of tonight I need to count his dog treats and start to ration them. I will cut his pupperoni in half as well as his doggie jerky. He will not realize it. I do have peanut butter that I can make some dog biscuit for him.

My main concern is I want to make things last as long as possible so that I do not send my aide in to a store for my needs so I will try to make do for as long as I can.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Your creativity in the kitchen is amazing and inspiring.