My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

I had planned to go in to town today to Dollar General to spend my $5.00 off of $25.00 coupon however came to the conclusion I need to get more important things done around the house and outside. The long drive in to town and back would cut in to the time I need to do things here not to mention my energy level is not that great right now. I have to take my car to the Dealership on Monday for a new headlight and I will pop into Dollar General on the way home and buy a packet of antibacterial wipes for $1.00 and they will most likely give me another coupon for next week. If not they usually give one the following week.

Feeling somewhat safe and satisfied with what I have for long term food shortages as well as safety items like gloves, masks, antibacterial wipes, and hand sanitizers. Although I will not be eating high on the hog with most of the items being canned goods still better than not having anything.

Today the temp was (43 F ) (6. C) when I woke up and the inside temp was( 63 F) ( 17. C). However the inside temp has started to drop to (62 F) (16. C) so decided to run the furnace for one cycle to take the chill off and to check the furnace. It seems to be working fine so shut it off.

I had cottage cheese for breakfast with fresh coffee really early. Used the last of my half and half with the coffee. I will not be buying it again trying to phase dairy out of my life again..sniff, sniff. I still have whole milk to be used up.

Lunch is going to be a BLT. I have been looking forward to it all week. I will fry up the whole pound and freeze the rest for another time. I save the bacon grease in the fridge to season things like green beans.

Dinner will be Thai yellow curry. I am going to sub in steamed cauliflower in place of the chicken. I love cauliflower and I am going to try to eat it more often as a snack with a little bit of butter, salt and pepper. I also have a pound of pork sausage to cook and freeze for quick meals. If there is any energy left I would like to make some gluten free blueberry muffins using a mix.

I want to put in a couple of sessions outside weeding the front rock garden area. It is a jungle out there. I can only do about 10 to 15 min sessions at a time due to fatigue but it is amazing how much you can get done in 10 min. I will take my lawn chair to rest in and watch the clouds. They are so pretty this time of year. Teddi will do his usual sniffing. A nice peaceful day on the old homestead. I am blessed to be able to live her on my own.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Pretending I am a slug today. Short spurts of energy and then on the couch to rest.

Simple breakfast of cottage cheese with lots of black pepper and day old coffee with whole milk.

Lunch was a grilled cheese sandwich and half of a dill pickle.

Mid afternoon snack of a few chocolate chips, almonds and raisins. My blood sugar remained stable so might use this combo more often. I just needed a little something sweet, not a lot, to make me feel satisfied.

Dinner was vegetarian Thai yellow curry. It takes time to prep everything but a short time to stir fry it. It was really yummy. I used freshly steamed cauliflower in place of chicken. What a pain it is to clean a head of fresh cauliflower and cut it up but it is so good. Boiled the last two red potatoes and used one onion in long slices. Used a small can of mushroom pieces that gives it a bit of a meaty texture. Could not save the juice due to no room left in my freezer. I use coconut powder instead of canned. Takes up less space and easier to keep on hand. I buy a really tasty Thai yellow curry paste from Amazon and try to buy two at a time to make sure I have an ongoing supply. Sometimes it is out of stock for awhile. I did not serve it with rice due to watching my carbs and I had a whole small potato in the curry. I ate two bowls of it. Since I did not eat rice as a filler I ate more but it is a healthy meal. There is just a little bit leftover so I will add the last potato to it tonight and it will soak up the sauce and be enough for lunch tomorrow.

I still have a lot of raw cauliflower leftover so will add some fresh sliced onion and bake them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. They both taste so good when baked, they sort of caramelize. I sprinkle them with balsamic vinegar before serving. I will have some kind of meat with them but not sure yet what. I think I will bake a couple of apples as well. It is that time of year for baked apple anything.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Started my Monday making several telephone calls. The first one was to Pup-Peroni headquarters. Their rep checked their shipping status and stated Amazon does have it and selling it but in a different size than what I had subscribed to. You would think they could have put that in their message to me rather than saying they were out of stock and did not know when they would get it back in stock. So I checked on Amazon and set up a new auto delivery with the current available size. Crisis averted.lol She also said earlier in the pandemic there appeared to be some panic buying and hoarding. I mentioned to her that I had gone to 4 stores in my local town and could not find any of their product. She said she would pass the information along to their distribution center. Pup-Peroni is manufactured by Smucker's the people that make the jam and jelly.

For the last two months I have received a statement from Discover card. That account was paid off either in Dec or the first of Jan. They owe me $1.00. I called them to find out if the account was open or closed. It is closed but they owe me $1.00. So the rep took down the information to send me a $1.00 check. I told him they had wasted more than that already in stamps and manpower. He said they had to be honest and do right by their customers. So a $1.00 check will be on its way in 7 to 10 days. It will go in to savings towards paying off my furnace..lol.

Breakfast was cottage cheese withlots of pepper and fresh coffee with whole milk.

Lunch was leftover Thai yellow curry. I added a small handful of raw cashews to give it more protein and to make it a little bit more filling. I found a small amount of ice cream in the freezer so had that for dessert.

Dinner was 1/2 c of BBQ pork and beans.lol.I found it at Big Lots. It is made by Kingsford the charcoal company. It has an acceptable amount of carbs around 31 carbs per 1/2 c. It has little bits of pork in it. I am going to pick up a few more cans for the stockpile.

I worked longer than I should have cutting weeds mid morning and ran out of energy. Plus my back started to hurt. I need extensive back surgery and should have stopped at the first twinges of increased pain but I was seeing progress so pushed myself too far, about 15 min. I had to take a muscle relaxer and 3 aspirins when I came back inside. Of course the muscle relaxer made me sleepy and I fell asleep right after lunch. My rheumatologist recommended taking aspirins 3 at a time for increased pain due to arthritis. He said he thinks it can be just as effective as the prescription drugs. Years ago Good Housekeeping had listed him as one of the top ten Drs in his field so I think he must know his stuff. Sadly like a lot of good Drs he has passed away. Anyway after my long nap and resting with aspirin and muscle relaxer my back feels better. However I did not feel up to cooking. If I do spunk up later I will bake the sausages tonight for dinner tomorrow. I plan on freezing the other 3 for future quick meals.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Not really eating like I should I plan to cook things and then get too tired from doing other things. I have been working more in the rock garden area of my house. I had a knockout rose bush removed a few years ago and each year a sprig would return and I would nip it off. Due to weather the last couple of years I did not do that and it has turned in to a monster. About 6 ft tall and about 5 feet across. Then intertwined are wild grape vines and other assorted weeds and small sapling trees. Today I tackled, very gently, a poison ivy vine that was about 3.5 ft tall. It was growing very close to my front door. We never use the front door so it was out of sight out of mind. By the time I saw it I was horrified at how big it was. I ignored it since I never use that door and I after seeing how big is was I was afraid to get near it. I have a big fear of catching poison ivy. I have veterinary gloves that go to the shoulder so I used them with a hand clipper and put everything in a big brown grocery bag and then put that in a trash bag to take to my neighbors this morning for trash pick up. I did not want to have it sitting around. You cannot burn it since the poison ivy oil will blow with the smoke and I am so afraid of coming down with a bad case of poison ivy like I did a couple of years ago.

I have been eating simple things like cottage cheese and cheese and crackers. I had cold canned salmon with canned spinach as a quick meal for dinner one night and decided I like it so much it is going to be lunch a lot more often. I can get three meals out of both cans and it is quick and healthy. Forget making salmon patties for now. Also have the occasional snack of an apple with peanut butter.

I am dedicating most of my time trying to get that rose bush down and the rest of the rock garden will be easier to tackle. Grateful we are having such lovely weather.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

It has been a few days since I last posted. Time flies when you are having fun or trying to get rid of a monster rose bush...lol. I actually had to back off for a couple of days due to fatigue. Yesterday hauled 3 tarps of weeds and rosebush trimmings to the burn pile. I finally worked my way in from the side to the back of the rock garden. I was horrified to see a couple of snake skins. One was especially upsetting.

Years ago when I first moved here I use to put Allie on a long lead. Sometimes she would go around the corner of the house and the lead finally tore a small hole in the siding. I had asked my contractor about repairing it but he said the cost would be too much considering that it would involve replacing a lot more of the siding due to the way it is installed. So I thought it was cosmetic so live with it. Yesterday I saw some dried snake skin sticking out of the hole, it is about 3 inches in diameter. As I pulled it out it kept getting longer and longer, it is about 20 inches long! Yikes! I am going to sprinkle some Snake Be Gone in that whole area. Then in a few days any snakes in the area will hopefully move on. I have some fine screen mesh that I bought to repair a few holes in some of my screens so I plan on stuffing some of that in the hole and then try to find something that will cover the hole. There is another hole in the siding in an area in the back for the same reason so I am going to do the same there. The last thing I need is for a snake to take up residence in the house between the siding and the interior walls. The other snake skin was smaller so I know there are at least two snakes in the underbrush. This will give me more of an incentive to keep the weeds down in this area. This area is right next to my front door. The skins look like rattle snake. I have found at least 3 rattle snake skins near my house this year and one baby rattle snake was trying to come in to the garage about a month ago.. If this continues I will be buying Snake Be Gone by the barrel instead of the bottle..lol. Snakes do not scare me since I once co-owned a pet store and we sold snakes. The thing is Teddi is so nosy he will run over to check on what it is and will be bitten.

Interesting factoid. I had noticed when I take Teddi out for his last potty run at night, around 10:30 PM, the crickets were especially noisy. A friend of mine in NJ said the same thing so I looked up, Why? online. It said the loud noise is due to the males are looking for a mate. I had no idea about that. I grew up in the country but they were just background noise. Also they said, " when you hear them so loudly it means Fall is on the way, whether you want it to be or not."

I did an inventory of gluten free flours in my fridge. They take up a lot of room because you might only need a 1/4 cup of this or that. I will now try to find a baked good recipe to use them up soon. I will not be buying them again since they are too high glycemic. I will concentrate more on using almond flour and coconut flour.

Right now just cooking easy things that can be nuked or thrown in the oven and not require time at the stove.

I may not be posting daily due to my home actives needing attention and not much going on here. A lot of little things need to be done for battening down the hatches for winter. At least the things I am doing do not require money.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

October 1... Wow! Despite having to spend more time sheltering in place this year has gone by quickly.

I really do not know what my financial situation is as far as being frugal. I have used some of the stimulus money to buy what I needed to make things better for me and hang the frugalness. There is a time to be frugal and a time to organize and feather my nest for the long haul. I do not think this pandemic is going to be gone for a very long time so I used some of my money to buy food and household items necessary for long term storage. I bought new curtains and drapes. It is amazing how the lighter curtains and drapes have improved my mood. That is important since we are sheltering at home so much. The old drapes were relocated to other rooms in the house. Although old they are still good and will help to decrease the cold in my master bedroom and spare bedroom. I only had venetian blinds in those rooms due to the cost of trying to cover so many windows when I first moved here. I have huge, almost floor to ceiling windows, in my master bedroom, Great room, and breakfast room. I was able to buy the drapes I wanted on Amazon. I compared prices at several other stores and Amazon was by far the cheapest. I sill need to buy some heavier lining for the new drapes for the cold months ahead but will use some of my stimulus money to do so.

It is getting difficult for me to take a shower due to loosing my balance when I stand in one place too long. I bought a Park Bench shower chair and handheld shower with some of my stimulus money. My rehab nurse had offered to include a shower chair in my treatment plan but they will only purchase the shower bench that sits inside the tub. Due to my inability to lift my legs using my leg muscles I needed to have something more practical and safe for my needs. The Park Bench sits partially outside of the tub and inside the tub and that way I can sit outside and with my hands lift my legs in to the tub using a sheet.

Teddi has been having skin allergy problems and going to the vet every 5 to 6 weeks for an allergy shot which costs $62.00. This last shot did not seem to be as effective. He even had a bath with his special shampoo and still itching like crazy. So went online to check in to other options. There is a well known vet that sells a powder to add to his dog food which is suppose to help immensely. It is much cheaper than the shot and if it works it will be a big savings. If it does not there is a 60 day money back guarantee. It is worth trying. I cannot let him suffer he is such a little sweetheart. Also once his current fresh dog food runs out I am going to order his dog food from this Vet online. It sounds healthy and they have free shipping. That will save me gas money since it is a bit of a drive in to town from here. Also due to the pandemic I do not want to go in to town that often.

I am in serious need of eating better. I get too tired and do not cook ahead like I should so end up eating unhealthy quick to grab things. I found a site on line called Freshly. They have various menus and everything is prepared freshly and shipped to you on the day of the week you choose. They have various plans and cost accordingly. Also I am getting a big discount for being a first time user. This Saturday I will have 4 freshly made meals delivered to me for about $36.00 and change. I figure if I can have someone prepare a healthy meal that is diabetic friendly and gluten free for 4 meals a week it would give me more energy and I could then try to get the other homemade meals made ahead without so much fatigue. I plan on doing this for at least a couple of months to give me a head start on loosing weight as well as having better nutrition. I have earned enough money through my various survey sites to pay for the first week. I do have a wonderful supply of frozen foods but they are ingredients not ready to eat foods. They all require time and cooking to prepare. So the fresh meals will help me during the interim. I know loosing weight will also make me feel better and less tired. So my goal this coming month is to eat heathier and to try to get in more exercise. Now the weather is cooler I can enjoy being outside more and maybe taking Teddi to the park more. He loves going for a ride and then getting out and sniffing all of the new smells somewhere else.
Janet Alliesmama