My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:42 am
That is how I feel most days as well.
Jackie you do cook a lot but you also get so much more done with your church activity and your various sewing,knitting etc projects. I do not know how you do it all.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am not doing well with eating correctly. I made potato pancakes the other day to use up some mashed potatoes and they sent my blood sugar up too high. Trying to eat healthy and frugal is not always compatible. So today I tried to eat less carbs. Did ok for breakfast. I had a scrambled egg but it looked so small in the pan so I decided to add the leftover kielbasa. It was mostly sausage and a tiny bit of onion. It actually turned out very tasty. Due to working on paperwork I did not get around to making lunch so I nuked one of the Indian dinners I bought the other day. The one I chose had 34 carbs so not too bad. It really was tasty but at the same time I realized I could make a similar dish with things I have on hand. The dish was Tikka Masala chicken. I already have the sauce from Big Lots, chicken in the freezer, and rice in the pantry. So in the near future I am going to mass produce my own TV dinners. I saved the container it came in but I have some plastic containers that are divided like a TV dinner plate and will use them also.

Teddi had a grooming appointment this afternoon. We are lucky enough to have the groomer that was voted best in our area and she only charged $25.00. Sometimes it is only $20.00 but he missed his last appointment due to snow so he needed extra trimming this time. They are so well liked they have not been able to accept new clients for about two years. So glad he is established with them and they have moved their business closer to where I live and do my banking and shopping.

While Teddi was being groomed I went to gas up my car. I was bummed out since I forgot to sign up for points. The gas station now issue points for purchases and you can just put in your phone number at the pump but I forgot to sign up. I did sign up this evening so now good to go the next time. I then went to Ruler to buy zucchini, eggs, bird seed, and baby carrots for Teddi. I was really feeling tired and knew I would not feel like cooking dinner so decided to look for a gluten free pizza. I saw a box that said cauliflower crust pizza. I should have read the ingredients. There was more than cauliflower in the crust. There were at least 4 different gluten free flour ingredients in it. I could not detect any cauliflower. It was a vegetarian pizza so I added pepperoni and cooked Italian sausage from the freezer which helped it a little bit. Live and learn. Still had time left before picking Teddi up so went to our local chain store for some distilled water for my c-pap and a few household items. Received points there as well for future purchases.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get back in to the gut healing diet.
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Two steps forward and one step back is still forward. And that is something to be proud of.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:31 am
Two steps forward and one step back is still forward. And that is something to be proud of.
Thanks DG for the encouragement.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Wish I could say I was doing better with my gut healing diet but I am not. I forgot to mention the other day at Ruler they had a huge stack of Oscar Mayer pre-cooked bacon at the front entrance. I am a bacon lover and have been missing it so treated myself to a box $2.99. There were about 11 rashers in the box. I guess you can call it bacon. It looked like it, smelled like it, and had the taste of bacon. When I heated it in the microwave it did crisp up but very thin almost paper thin. I will not buy it again. The same day I went to our local chain store and they had the same sale of Oscar Mayer bacon but it was $3.99.

I went to Big Lots to buy some dish detergent and other household things. I was thrilled to find organic coconut flour, organic coconut aminos, and coconut oil. All of these items are needed for my particular gut healing diet and sooooo much cheaper at Big Lots. I paid $3.50 for a bottle of coconut aminos and a similar bottle at the grocery store was $7.00 and not organic. Coconut aminos taste and looks like soy sauce which I am to avoid due to being gluten intolerant. I can sub Tamari for soy and it is ok. Coconut aminos are suppose to have health benefits but at the moment cannot remember why..lol. The coconut flour was $3.50 a bag and much cheaper compared to buying online also on line it was not organic. I did not buy any coconut flour due to having enough on hand and also have a lot of almond flour that needs to be used. They had the Indian yellow lentil curry back in stock so picked up three packets. ($2.00) a packet and half of a packet serves as one meal.

Breakfast today I had the last of the bacon with some scrambled eggs. Teddi and I split 3 scrambled eggs. He does not want to eat in the mornings and yet if he does not eat like he should be starts to throw up yellow bile. So as long as he will eat an egg in the morning and his fresh pet food at night I will continue to fix him a scrambled egg.
Lunch While rummaging in the freezer found some leftover canned pork n beans. I use to open a can and divide it in to separate containers since the American Diabetes Assoc. stated that they make
a good snack. I nuked a section of kielbasa that was also in the freezer. Not a gut healthy diet for sure. I have a couple more servings of pork n beans in the freezer and one more section of kielbasa. Will try to phase them out this week. Slowly getting down to only healthy gut healing foods in the fridge and freezer. I still have cream cheese to be used up. Then there should be no more unhealthy options for me to cheat with..lol.

Dinner is still undecided.

Update: Dinner was a stir fry of one of my beef patties, a small zucchini and a small onion with garlic and ginger from a jar in the fridge. Also a splash of gluten free soy sauce. It was quick and tasty and actually on my gut healing diet for a change..lol.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

We are in the deep freeze right how. It is (10 F) (-12.22 C) and going down to ( 4 F) (-15.55 C ) during the night. We have another day of deep freeze then a warm up. I am hoping to get outside during the warm up and prune some of my fruit trees. I can only do about 10 min of work at a time before I need to rest but I once read bad pruning is better than no pruning.

I still have some pears in my fridge from last Fall. They are canning pears but they have ripened enough that I can eat them out of hand without cooking. The only thing is this gut healing diet states everything needs to be cooked and eaten warm even fruit.

I am still not in compliance with my gut healing diet. I have been going over the book again and realized no grains means no oatmeal duh.lol. So switched to scrambled eggs and some bacon. I knew the bacon was no no but the books states no eggs either. I need to find something to make for breakfast.. The book recommends bone broth with veggies. I just never thought of that as breakfast food. So will make some over the week-end and hopefully by Monday can get this diet going.

Breakfast was (1.5 ) scrambled eggs and two rashers of bacon. I thought I had eaten all of the bacon but found a small packet in the fridge. After thinking I had found something Teddi would eat, and saying I would cook a scrambled egg for him every morning if he would eat it, well today he would not eat it. So put it in the fridge. Around 11:00 AM. I nuked it for him and he finally ate. He is not interested in his dinner and just picked at his baby carrots. I guess just wait to see how things go.

I had the last of the pork n beans with my lunch and dinner. I cooked a beef pattie in my air fryer for lunch and that worked out well. added some onion, mustard, and pickle on the side. I still miss bread of any kind ie gluten or gluten free. Dinner was the last of the kielbasa from the freezer. Drinking spearmint tea for dessert.

After my aide left I stretched out to rest and watch TV. That was 2:00 PM and I slept until 6:00 PM and did not get up until 6:30 PM. Getting lazy in my old age.. lol.

I started Spring cleaning this week. I removed all of the things from my hutch in my breakfast room and my aide used microfiber cloths to wet wipe and dry wipe. Then she did the hard wood floor with wet Swiffers. I cleaned all of the knick knacks and put them back. Today we did the same in the Great Room. She does the dusting and the carpet and I remove and clean things that need to be washed down. Tomorrow we will do my bedroom. She already cleaned my master bathroom the other day. Hopefully on the week-end I will get the last of the craft room organized. The spare bedroom is a disaster zone but that is another story...lol.
Janet Alliesmama