My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

I am following your adventure with the gut diet. I have a question. You mentioned that something called coconut aminos are like soy sauce? Hubs would like a soy sauce substitute. Is this coconut amino really tasty? Or did I misunderstand?

Also on my last cruise, I discovered that they served baked beans in a sweet tomato sauce for breakfast. I found I really enjoyed it and started having it every morning with my breakfast selection of smoked salmon and avocado. I eat eggs at home, but don't on a cruise. They don't seem very good. I also got in the habit of drinking cucumber juice or wheat juice with breakfast. I don't eat bacon or sausage anymore. They don't sit well on my tummy. I have recently started adding non acidic vegetables to my breakfast and find a happy tummy as a result. Is that what your gut diet recommends?
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:15 am I am following your adventure with the gut diet. I have a question. You mentioned that something called coconut aminos are like soy sauce? Hubs would like a soy sauce substitute. Is this coconut amino really tasty? Or did I misunderstand?

Also on my last cruise, I discovered that they served baked beans in a sweet tomato sauce for breakfast. I found I really enjoyed it and started having it every morning with my breakfast selection of smoked salmon and avocado. I eat eggs at home, but don't on a cruise. They don't seem very good. I also got in the habit of drinking cucumber juice or wheat juice with breakfast. I don't eat bacon or sausage anymore. They don't sit well on my tummy. I have recently started adding non acidic vegetables to my breakfast and find a happy tummy as a result. Is that what your gut diet recommends?

I just tasted the coconut aminos straight. It is hard to describe. It looks like soy sauce but it has a different flavor. It is more sweet and almost taste like wine to me. My keto cook book just lists it as a flavor enhancer. I looked on Amazon for reviews of other coconut aminos and a lot say it is sweeter than they expected. Also they state it has a similar taste but not exact sub for soy sauce but they did like the taste in their Asian foods. Tamari is similar to soy and gluten free. I found a soy sauce at Big Lots that was listed as being gluten free. I have not seen it in grocery stores. It is called Akita soy sauce gluten free.

I think I just need to adjust my way of thinking. There are 5 different leaky gut syndromes. After doing a review I decided I have candida leaky gut so that is the program I will be following. After I go through detox, maybe a month or 6 weeks, I can start to add things back in to my diet one at a time. My brother has a different leaky gut problem and he found out that he too is allergic to gluten and dairy. He has always consumed a large amount of milk even as an adult. It is hard to kick old habits.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

The day sort of got away from me. It started with my aide calling off for personal reasons so I decided it would be a perfect time to work in my craft room. I have been working on it for years...lol. I am down to the final organization. I really want to get back in to sewing and working on my miniatures. I have a doll house that my parents gave me when I was 33. I complained so much about not getting one when I was a little girl..so they bought me a huge one that Mom put together from a kit. Makes it even more precious to me. Since I have moved here it has resided in the basement because I had no place to go with it upstairs. However last year my brother gave me a lovely chest that is in my Great Room. It belonged to one of my Aunt's who has passed away and when her sister was moving in to an apartment my nephew rescued it. He was then killed in an industrial accident and it came back to my brother. When he moved last year he decided he did not have a place for it in his new home so he asked me if I would like to have it. So the chest has a lot of meaning and memories. The doll house will sit perfectly on it. When I have my ceiling painted I will have the guys bring it upstairs for me. The contractor has told me in the past to always have a " Honey Do" list for the men. They have done so many extra things for me. He is the best contractor in the world.

Today I have not eaten well at all.
Breakfast was 1.5 scrambled eggs and the last two rashers of bacon. Teddi looked like he wanted to eat so gave him the last half of one of my eggs. He nibbled at it but did not eat all of it.

It was late before I realized I needed to eat lunch so opened a can of sardines.I know there are some people out there going yuck! However they really are a healthy food and easily consumed.

For dinner I opened a can of chili and added a can of pinto beans. I let it simmer for a while to blend the flavors better. The chili does make for a quick base and with the added beans it had more body. The pinto beans were from an order from Vitacost where you BOGO.The order was placed in 2018 on Cyber Monday. They are still good and great to have on hand to quickly throw something together. Since the last can was also used in combination with canned chili I decided this was the free one. The cost per serving came to about .62 cents each. I was hungry so had two bowls for dinner. I anticipate getting at least 2 more serving from the chili.

I have been going over my budget for March. So many things need to be done around the house. Now that I have paid my property taxes and paid off two credit cards things are a little bit easier. However the list is long on what needs to be done. However on the bright side since the first of the year I have made $40.00 in gift cards from various sources for Amazon and $6.00 in cash from one survey site. I am enjoying racking up points at various other places in town. Was notified by Petco that I have $5.00 in points. My local grocery store has $4.00 in points and I recently signed up to earn points at the gas station. Also a few points at Walgreen's. They all contribute to making things easier.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:15 am I am following your adventure with the gut diet. I have a question. You mentioned that something called coconut aminos are like soy sauce? Hubs would like a soy sauce substitute. Is this coconut amino really tasty? Or did I misunderstand?

Dg Forgot to mention that my particular leaky gut does seem to mention eating non starchy vegetables in bone broth for breakfast. I am going to see if I can find other quicker options. The main thing is everything needs to be heated and eaten warm even fruit. After going over my candida diet and what I was eating on the keto diet everything is contraindicated.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

The information about your diet is very interesting. I am glad you are posting about it. I can always learn new things.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Today was a bit pricey. Had to buy eggs,frozen veggies, bird seed, and baby carrots for Teddi. He is getting low on carrots so decided to buy them while I was out. Also bought some salmon burgers for quick meals. I hope they taste as good as they look. I caved and bought a Lean Cuisine meatloaf dinner. It was basically a slice of meat loaf with some gravy and mashed potatoes.

Went to Petco to stock up on Teddi's fresh dog food. I bought smaller rolls in different flavors thinking he might want a change of flavor since he has been off of his food lately. Also a few "cookies" at the snack bar. Finally found a hard chewy thing that he would actually try. In the past I have bought things to help with his gums and usually the little dog down the road becomes the recipient. The last time we were at the vet's office she informed me that he needs to have something to chew on since he has stage I gum problems. The thing is he is so small and his teeth so tiny nothing seemed to interest him. Today he was a happy camper and chewed away. I will have to get more the next time I am in town.

The big purchase was on Amazon. I have been reading more and more about the Candida gut problem on other sites. They all recommend eliminating fluoride. After doing research I looked on Amazon and they of course had what I was looking for. Is there anything they do not carry?..lol. The water pitcher I ordered eliminates fluoride as well as other elements or decreases them significantly. Up to as 200 other elements. There are more expensive pitchers and bigger systems to do the filtering but money was my main concern. It was listed on several sites as best for 2020 and the best for removing fluoride. It can actually be used to filter water from a lake or a pond if necessary. I added two bags of a special tea that is suppose to help with Candida gut healing. It is call pau d'Arco tea. I had $40.01 cent in gift cards and combined with the $6.00 in cash from surveys so the bottom line was not too painful $39.37.

With all of the purchases it was big bite out of my budget today. February is still going to be a tight budget month. The veggies were necessary as were the eggs,carrots, and bird food however the Lean Cuisine meal was a want and not a need. I again did not read the fine print. It was not until I was preparing it for the microwave that I saw the bottom ingredient line for the meal...it has gluten in it! Why? I never make meatloaf with flour or gluten. Maybe it was a thickener for the little bit of gravy. I already had it out of the box so I went ahead and nuked it and ate it. That was about two hours ago. I now have a pounding headache, muscle pain and itching all over. It will take a couple of days to get back on track. The reason I bought the meal was because I knew I would not have the energy to make dinner. I had planned on making a cabbage and ground beef soup but the meat was not thawed enough before I left to run errands. No matter what needs to be done tomorrow I am going to have to dedicate the day to cooking ahead. Teddi is snoozing on my bed. I think I will stretch out and rest for a while too..
Janet Alliesmama