2020 Working With What You Have Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: 2020 Working With What You Have Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:59 pm I needed a draft stopper to go at the bottom and part way up the side of my front door. I was looking around today to see what I have that I might make one with - I found scrap fleece, paper bags (free from Dollar Tree and Family Dollar) and newspaper (we get a free, local paper - with ads, every Saturday. I save them to take on walks to clean up dog messes - but I had quite a stash of them).

I cut a long piece of fleece, hot glued the long side and one short side (I have needle and thread but I hate sewing). I cut up/wadded up the newspapers and paper bags and stuffed the thing really well then tied the last end shut with a piece of twine. Cost: nothing.
Sheila Great frugal job!
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:59 pm I needed a draft stopper to go at the bottom and part way up the side of my front door. I was looking around today to see what I have that I might make one with - I found scrap fleece, paper bags (free from Dollar Tree and Family Dollar) and newspaper (we get a free, local paper - with ads, every Saturday. I save them to take on walks to clean up dog messes - but I had quite a stash of them).

I cut a long piece of fleece, hot glued the long side and one short side (I have needle and thread but I hate sewing). I cut up/wadded up the newspapers and paper bags and stuffed the thing really well then tied the last end shut with a piece of twine. Cost: nothing.
Way to go. Free is great, and really frugal.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Thanks ladies - I am very pleased with how it turned out. It's nice and heavy, yet pliable - easy to form it along the bottom of the door and half way up the side where there is a "gap" - and I can feel the difference in the livingroom already.

My house is "long" - kind of a straight shot through the downstairs. I only turn on heat in the dining room - as it's in the middle - and it does help to keep the whole downstairs "warmer-ish".

DD's three rooms are through a door in my dining room - one downstairs and two upstairs. The upstairs rooms have no permanent heat source. She has the heat on 50 in the downstairs room - and it's tolerable for her cat and even the upstairs doesn't feel too cold at this point - she hasn't had to run her portable heater up there.

She pays for the electric and water she uses - I made a chart based on the most I've paid each month over the past 3 years - and she pays anything over that. My Mid November to Mid December bill was $140 - the most I've ever paid was $88.74 - so I rounded up to $90 so she owes $50 on that bill - she will pay it with her January rent. It's working out well.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz