2020 Working With What You Have Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: 2020 Working With What You Have Challenge

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 am I managed to make 14 pairs of mittens for oldest DS to distribute at his school (that is if school stays open long enough for them to need mittens).

I now matched up some yarn and have started to knit Hubby a sweater for Christmas. I am about mid way through the back...Need to step on it I think,
What a good idea to make mittens for the school.

Years ago when I was really into knitting I made many pairs of mittens for a big orphanage in Boston. I was living in Florida so no need in the schools.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:31 am What a good idea to make mittens for the school.

Years ago when I was really into knitting I made many pairs of mittens for a big orphanage in Boston. I was living in Florida so no need in the schools.
Last year I gave him mitts, hats, and scarves. I hope to get a few more mitts made at some point and perhaps some scarves as well. This helps me use up bits and bobs from my stash.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I decided that I could use up some partial spools of thread as well as some threaded bobbins sewing the denim squares together. You don't see the odd colours once the sandwiching occurs. The part you see will be done properly with the correct thread.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I do that all the time since I have lots of assorted old threads I am trying to use up. It's so nice to get things cleared out.

Bev
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

BevMoore wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:36 pm I do that all the time since I have lots of assorted old threads I am trying to use up. It's so nice to get things cleared out.

Bev
I finally actually had to purchase thread. I found a package at Dollar Tree that had 3 regular size spools (white, blue, red) and a bunch of assorted "mini-spools" - maybe a dozen, I haven't counted. I'm sure the quality isn't top notch but for what little hand sewing I do, you can't beat that for one dollar.

I realized I was going to run out of thread after I started creating a pillow from a sweater I got at a yard sale - thread is bought, pillow is done, I'm happy with it.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Congrats on your new pillow. Sounds like a great use of the sweater for something you can use.
Janet Alliesmama