2020 Working With What You Have Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: 2020 Working With What You Have Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

Yesterday I made chicken enchilada's (must be a trick to rolling the tortilla's as mine cracked and broke) and the recipe called for Mexican spice mix. Something I don't have, so I looked it up online and made my own.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I am busy fashioning cat toys from some leftover yarn from other projects now. Hopefully Eiko will enjoy them (do need to get some cat nip when I go shopping this week).
Jackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I looked up a spice mix recipe online to convert a basic yellow cake mix to a spice mix and did not have apricot nectar for the fruit cake I was making. So I chopped up dried apricots and stewed them until they were very soft, and then whizzed them up in the blender and added ice cubes to cool down and dilute it until the mixture was approximately the right consistency and used that. It came out great.

I realized later it would have been easier to use canned apricots, but I haven't seen them in ages either.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:31 pm I looked up a spice mix recipe online to convert a basic yellow cake mix to a spice mix and did not have apricot nectar for the fruit cake I was making. So I chopped up dried apricots and stewed them until they were very soft, and then whizzed them up in the blender and added ice cubes to cool down and dilute it until the mixture was approximately the right consistency and used that. It came out great.

I realized later it would have been easier to use canned apricots, but I haven't seen them in ages either.
Hmmm, come to think of it I haven't seen canned apricots in a long time either.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I think I have seen canned apricots at Dollar Tree - but it's probably been longer ago than I realize.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I needed a draft stopper to go at the bottom and part way up the side of my front door. I was looking around today to see what I have that I might make one with - I found scrap fleece, paper bags (free from Dollar Tree and Family Dollar) and newspaper (we get a free, local paper - with ads, every Saturday. I save them to take on walks to clean up dog messes - but I had quite a stash of them).

I cut a long piece of fleece, hot glued the long side and one short side (I have needle and thread but I hate sewing). I cut up/wadded up the newspapers and paper bags and stuffed the thing really well then tied the last end shut with a piece of twine. Cost: nothing.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz