Christmas 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
rinty

Re: Christmas 2020

Post by rinty »

£400 in the savings pot.

Over £50 in BOOTS points , better than the whole of 2019 total so great news there !

Very little shopping, picked up 2 unicorn necklaces for youngest DGDs @ 80% off. I am proud that I haven't gone the online route and got the gazillion " cute " things around.

actual coin jar savings a bust....haven't used cash since March

Practising recipes as I think we could end up hosting little groups rather than a large family bash :(
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:45 am £400 in the savings pot.

Over £50 in BOOTS points , better than the whole of 2019 total so great news there !

Very little shopping, picked up 2 unicorn necklaces for youngest DGDs @ 80% off. I am proud that I haven't gone the online route and got the gazillion " cute " things around.

actual coin jar savings a bust....haven't used cash since March

Practising recipes as I think we could end up hosting little groups rather than a large family bash :(
I think the same thing, it is going to be small groups. Not liking the idea of getting together with Hubby's rather large family. There are a few that have chosen the path of believing conspiracy theories instead of science.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Post by rinty »

Well, if we can't have more than 6 people together that's Christmas out the window.

heaven knows what it will mean if there are local lockdowns as we are in 3 different areas.

Our group is normally 23.

I am picturing Christmas in the early 70s. Mum was widowed and it was just her , me and my brother. Gifts were minimal and we sure as heck didn't have a turkey. So lets re-hash the olden days. Faceplant.

At best, we are lucky. everyone is employed, no one can't afford Christmas but I am yelling ( to make the POINT ) to my kids that (IF THEY INSIST on gifting to DH and I a photo of the grands is more than enough.

The grandkids stockings were done a while ago. There is cash budgeted for everyones gift so ( effectively ) DONE. DH and I usually gift from our coin savings pot which this year holds around £4.50 as no one used cash all year !!!! So , as DH does love gifts we'll agree an amount and go nuts with it. I'll ask for a book, a magazine and chocolate. He'll like camping stuff, smellies and licquorice.

DS wants nothing but he did get excited over AMAZON buys of books from his childhood so more of those ! Also old dvds of shows he loved. RELIEF ALL ROUND. His doctor hsaid he must lose weight re the Rheumatoid arthritis so less sweets.

DH bought the Good Housekeeping Chrismas cookery magazine. Indeed, lovley ideas. But I will say its okay to say " homemade gifts etc but I wouldn't thank anyone for homemade food gifts in COVID, would you ???? Happy to make them for us but not to give away !

A new to us recipe is a smoked salmon terrine, made in layers with cream cheese, horseradish and parsley or fennel ( gack, fennel :cry: ) OMgosh , delicious so that would be a Christmas make. I think its going to be VERY small groups and just ood as nicely presented as you can to make it A PARTY, even if its not, sigh.

DH will find it all very hard. Other familes were allowed to break free and have their own Christmas years ago but DH has held on and we've all enjoyed it , but I wonder will the kids breathe a TIY sigh of relief t be able to do Christmas day their way ?

Saddest thing here lately has been two BIG banner newspaper headline saying CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED. Now, children see newspapers, children see the news as its on 24/7. That is not okay. They have lost so much this year let them have that at least. Even while their families try and find a way to do Different Christmas so they don't miss out.

I have made a frugal purchase. The HUGE tubs of sweets are out at the cheap early bird prices. Cheapest has been ALDI @ £3.99 a tubut Morrisons now have 2 tubs for £7. So we have spent £14 on 4 different tubs, not counting Quality Street ( yuck !!!)

I have been striking idiot bloggers from my blog reading right and left lately so less internet time.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I think we are still at 10 indoors, but with the rise in cases...... I just do not know. I am thinking that to be on the safe side, perhaps going to someones house Christmas day would not be the best of things to do.

If eldest son can not get home for Christmas, it just will not be the same at all. Since he comes from a different province, perhaps we can say we are self isolating and get out of Christmas with the extended family (we have some anti-maskers, anti-social distancing people in Hubby's family).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I am expecting Christmas to be very different this year. Our kids live on the property next to us, but the rest of our family is at least three hours away...some farther.
We usually get together a weekend or two before Christmas Day...that won't happen this year.
I am planning on sending gift cards to most.
Our granddaughters are online for school right now, but if they return to school, we will have to distance again.
So....the plan is to bundle up in ski clothes and have our Christmas outdoors by the fire pit.... :shock:
rinty

Post by rinty »

Had some dividends come thru (£300) so threw that in the Christmas pot too, making it over £750.

Bought M and S Belgian biscuit assortment, LIDL mini stolen (two packs !!!) and some special choclate. Just in case its just us :(

Feeling wiped out by it all, yes I want to be with everyone but it is what it is. Ordering the DGkids presents now, we've said to the mums that better early choices than finding we can't things.