Christmas 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
rinty

Christmas 2020

Post by rinty »

This is me posting here rather than writing notes to myself ...........and loosing them at the crucial moment. I will check in on the 25th of each month giving my savings totals and any things I have made or bought or any other good ideas.

Our monthly savings plan worked well and wasn't noticed, we also used DH OAP pension benefit of £200 which everyone who is a pensioner gets regardless of income. I am increasing the monthly amount by £10. We did our change pot but as we seldom handle cash it held only £120 by the end of the year........in years past there would be £700 in the pot ! Also the supermarket savings plan..........which pays better interest than anything. we saved £144, they topped it up to £150. I want to have our card filled by June 25th 2020.

2020 ideas

The plastic lidded Christmas drinks tumblers weren't used this year ! Told DH and he suggested we fill them with sweets and put them in the DGKs stockings like the cups we have seen in the shops ! good idea !

Escape to the Chateau had Angel making candy cane circles which she then hung as decs. Brilliant. Combin

ing my love of candy canes and glue guns. she didn't even unwrap them. Must do for 2020 !

National Trust properties decorated for Christmas. Must do. Free with membership and great day out.

Look for cinemas doing Polar Express days for kids in their PJs for DGKs. work collegues went and it was magical .

Made but didn't send or use ANY cross stitch cards. MUST DO for 2020.

Possible..........book a few days away in the Christmas period for DS. He wants to be here and we want him but its too much, he needs a break in the middle. Only if affordable.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Christmas 2020

Post by ChristmasTrees »

rinty wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 pm This is me posting here rather than writing notes to myself ...........and loosing them at the crucial moment. I will check in on the 25th of each month giving my savings totals and any things I have made or bought or any other good ideas.

Our monthly savings plan worked well and wasn't noticed, we also used DH OAP pension benefit of £200 which everyone who is a pensioner gets regardless of income. I am increasing the monthly amount by £10. We did our change pot but as we seldom handle cash it held only £120 by the end of the year........in years past there would be £700 in the pot ! Also the supermarket savings plan..........which pays better interest than anything. we saved £144, they topped it up to £150. I want to have our card filled by June 25th 2020.

2020 ideas

The plastic lidded Christmas drinks tumblers weren't used this year ! Told DH and he suggested we fill them with sweets and put them in the DGKs stockings like the cups we have seen in the shops ! good idea !

Escape to the Chateau had Angel making candy cane circles which she then hung as decs. Brilliant. Combin

ing my love of candy canes and glue guns. she didn't even unwrap them. Must do for 2020 !

National Trust properties decorated for Christmas. Must do. Free with membership and great day out.

Look for cinemas doing Polar Express days for kids in their PJs for DGKs. work collegues went and it was magical .

Made but didn't send or use ANY cross stitch cards. MUST DO for 2020.

Possible..........book a few days away in the Christmas period for DS. He wants to be here and we want him but its too much, he needs a break in the middle. Only if affordable.
Love this! I will be checking in!
rinty

Post by rinty »

Christmas savings already over £100 so that's a good start !

My Boots points are also at £20 already too........I " spent " £60 of Boots points and bought most of the none family gifts with that on their buy 2 get one FREE gift deal. So to have £20 before the end of January is VERY good, I have used coupons since Christmas and doubled and tripled points deals. It helps that Boots is a chemists so DS " stuff " like nappies can be purchased there. Ups those points !!!

When I sorted the Craft room I put all Christmas crafts in one place..........this makes things much easier for making things this year. Washed and ironed the cross stitch to put into cards ! This year I'll get back into making them in the summer when you have hours of daylight, I don't like the fake daylight bulbs, its so much easier stitching by natural light.

Got all gift wrap sorted. Got what I needed in the big reductions after Christmas. I'm one of those who likes me a theme ;) 2020 is based round that red truck with the Christmas tree motif that's so popular.........I still have half a COSTCO roll of red wired ribbon that works with it.

Pleased to have made a good start x
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 am Christmas savings already over £100 so that's a good start !

My Boots points are also at £20 already too........I " spent " £60 of Boots points and bought most of the none family gifts with that on their buy 2 get one FREE gift deal. So to have £20 before the end of January is VERY good, I have used coupons since Christmas and doubled and tripled points deals. It helps that Boots is a chemists so DS " stuff " like nappies can be purchased there. Ups those points !!!

When I sorted the Craft room I put all Christmas crafts in one place..........this makes things much easier for making things this year. Washed and ironed the cross stitch to put into cards ! This year I'll get back into making them in the summer when you have hours of daylight, I don't like the fake daylight bulbs, its so much easier stitching by natural light.

Got all gift wrap sorted. Got what I needed in the big reductions after Christmas. I'm one of those who likes me a theme ;) 2020 is based round that red truck with the Christmas tree motif that's so popular.........I still have half a COSTCO roll of red wired ribbon that works with it.

Pleased to have made a good start x
Excellent progress Rinty. Me, well I have started my project list for Christmas and that's about it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Post by rinty »

Its near enough the 25th so posting February update.

Monthly savings plan very good. On track. DH reports HIS change pot is doing well. Mine is barely started, prob contains 80p :( . I'm like the Queen , I barely use cash these days.

Started the grocery savings card, goal to fill it by June. No problem at this rate.

When do reclycling was about to throw two shoeboxes then realised that I'd be hunting for them when doing Christmas Shoeboxes in November. Then wetn " Shopping at Home" for any "leftovers" that hadn't made it to the Grandbabies Stockings.

Success, I unearthed a boxed gift pack of coloured marbles, a large pencil case full of coloured pencils and a painting set. BOOYAH. So that decided that the boxes would be for a boy and girl.

When grocery shopping noticed some shelves tucked away with VERY reduced toys. Bought a giant stuffed pink unicorn for £5 !!!! :) Also a boys blue scooter @half price. PERFECT Salvation Army gifts. Bagged /boxed and put away for Christmas.

Another shopping trip , went to the sale rails for childrens clothes , which I always do looking for bits for the grandbabies. Found a gorgeous 3 piece set of scarf, mittens and hat , the kind with two bobbles, very on trend, my DGDs would have killed for it, reduced from £12 to £3. SCORE !!! We always put hats , mittens, gloves etc in the Shoeboxes and aim for the same quality we'd give the grandbabies so to find something at THAT price was a delight. Its in the shoebox as we speak ;)
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

You did wonderfully well with your shopping trips. Great savings.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/