Christmas 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: Christmas 2020

Post by MackerelCat »

I have ordered a few things, mostly fun gifts for DS: a calendar, mug, and t-shirt. I bought Homeless Buddy a cast iron skillet for Thanksgiving that he can take with him when he moves out. It is almost too heavy for me to lift. Otherwise, I am going heavy on the gift cards again this year.

The slow shipping in the U.S. is a reality. I ordered stuff from Daedalus Books eight days ago to ship from Ohio to Tennessee: a straight shot of 588 miles on I-75. By Fed Ex, it's traveled less than a hundred miles a day without ever leaving the truck. I think it gets handed off to the post office today and we might get it by Friday.
Mackie
rinty

Post by rinty »

The shops opened again after Boris's mini lockdown.

Its been over a month .

After 4pm ( because I'm not insane and did not want to get trampled) I ventured out. I wanted gift bags ( I know, ESSENTIALS, :o not ) and to go to BOOTS where I would spend my stash of FREE points and poss do a 3 for 2 deal.

Card shop had all the gifts bags a girl could dream of and had someone at the door sanitising you and RIGID one way system. BOOTS had a one way system and trusted us to get it right.

VERY PLEASED however as I had got a Micheal Kors gift set and today got an ARMANI perfume set all ( BOOYAH !!!) FREE. And saved £8.50 in a 3 for 2 deal.

Then scuttled home.

I still have over £12 on my BOOTS card. I may waste it on Yankee Candle sets OR put my brain in gear and save it for the New Year sales and get toiletrie sets for beans at 70 % off.

Choices.

The two trees are up. The upstairs tree is very retro , just like the trees I remember as a teen in the 70s. It has the grands pressies around it save the two gigantor BARBIES ( hideous ) and the metre long velociraptor. The 8 grands stockings are stuffed, I needed 3 gift bags for the older ones, so need to load them up.

As its now December Christmas cooking begins..........this weekend I am making Black Forest trifle to share with oldest DD. Also trying out a new to me recipe of HORSERADISH YORKSHIRE PUDDING ( I know, you drool just thinking about it don't you ) ???????
rinty

Post by rinty »

Everything possible has been done, by December payday the Christmas Fund for 2021 will stand at £209 :D

DH did choose NOT to have a gift from me (I had planned to get him new walking boots ) My own gift choices were minimal ( but I like them, a book and some sweets ) I have bought him a book and some cooking bits and bobs which he'll enjoy.

So 2020 is done. A final thing was gifts for a single mum friend of one of our daughters . No problem as the mums present could be had FREE using Boots Points .

I think all the family will be happy with their gifts.

For 2021 I'd do more cross stitch cards and gift tags and a BIG Christmas cross stitch project. No cost as I have a massive craft stash ( to my shame ;) and I will drive around EVERYBODY and no one will stop me !

But no travel costs this year ( can't because of COVID ) and no eating out so that meant charitable giving was a wash , more than enough to give.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I ended up straying form my "Christmas Plan" and going way over my out of pocket budget. However, I am very okay with how it all worked out. I paid $161 (with a discount!) for a year's subscription to Causebox for my daughter - I know she is going to love it. This is NOT a recommendation - I am not an affiliate!

I also got her some things to open that she will love - I have to say that I ordered some things from Erin's shop here on My Frugal Home and everything far exceeded my expectations - oh my goodness, the shower steamers and the inhailers and little pouches for them are just amazing - I will be a repeat customer!

I was able to use Amazon gift card credits to pay for most of my dad's and my son's and daughter-in-law's gifts - so a savings there to be sure. Out of pocket spending is at about $291 - far more than what I planned but like I said, am okay with it.

I think I spent more out of pocket on Christmas because of COVID - and that's okay too. Determined to have a wonderful Christmas.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:46 am I ended up straying form my "Christmas Plan" and going way over my out of pocket budget. However, I am very okay with how it all worked out. I paid $161 (with a discount!) for a year's subscription to Causebox for my daughter - I know she is going to love it. This is NOT a recommendation - I am not an affiliate!

I also got her some things to open that she will love - I have to say that I ordered some things from Erin's shop here on My Frugal Home and everything far exceeded my expectations - oh my goodness, the shower steamers and the inhailers and little pouches for them are just amazing - I will be a repeat customer!

I was able to use Amazon gift card credits to pay for most of my dad's and my son's and daughter-in-law's gifts - so a savings there to be sure. Out of pocket spending is at about $291 - far more than what I planned but like I said, am okay with it.

I think I spent more out of pocket on Christmas because of COVID - and that's okay too. Determined to have a wonderful Christmas.
I think you did a great job Sheila. There are times, like now, that I have spent more than I would like on groceries but at the same time to me it is better to spend that extra money instead of exposing myself to covid by going in to stores.

Good for you trying to give Christmas a positive attitude instead of a negative one.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

rinty wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:29 pm Everything possible has been done, by December payday the Christmas Fund for 2021 will stand at £209 :D

DH did choose NOT to have a gift from me (I had planned to get him new walking boots ) My own gift choices were minimal ( but I like them, a book and some sweets ) I have bought him a book and some cooking bits and bobs which he'll enjoy.

So 2020 is done. A final thing was gifts for a single mum friend of one of our daughters . No problem as the mums present could be had FREE using Boots Points .

I think all the family will be happy with their gifts.

For 2021 I'd do more cross stitch cards and gift tags and a BIG Christmas cross stitch project. No cost as I have a massive craft stash ( to my shame ;) and I will drive around EVERYBODY and no one will stop me !

But no travel costs this year ( can't because of COVID ) and no eating out so that meant charitable giving was a wash , more than enough to give.
Rinty amazing all of the things you do and even now thinking of Christmas 2021.. You go girl.
Janet Alliesmama