Christmas 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Christmas 2020

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:50 am I will most likely be alone for Christmas but I’m fine with it. I’m not sure about my friend who invites me for Christmas dinner but unless she serves the dinner outside (which is possible), I’ll decline.

But, I’m planning to fully decorate my house and do it in mid-November to really enjoy the season. Also I’ll enjoy Christmas music and Christmas movies. (This is the season I do miss having the Hallmark channel, however.)

Since my friends and I will not be able to attend a Christmas play, we’ve decided to go to a tropical garden in the area. This is an “old Florida” attraction that has been here for decades and I haven’t been there in years. Then we will go for a late lunch at an outdoor spot (haven’t decided where).

And of course I’ll do a Christmas jigsaw puzzle or two 😀.
Florida, you sound a lot like me - if my daughter hadn't moved in, I would most likely be alone for Christmas (I won't go to my parents with all their grand and great-grands and no masks) - and I am always one to make the best of it - bake something yummy, watch a Christmas movie, etc. I don't mind spending it alone.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have no idea how we'll be "doing" Christmas this year. It's not going to be safe for my brother to visit or vice versa because we're all over 60 and high risk. I am not sure if Homeless Buddy will still be here. We would like for him to be moved out soon now that he's working 35 hours a week, but transportation is still a problem.

We began setting aside money early this year in a special savings account, after last year when I came up short, so we should be able to cover adopting an Angel Tree child with no trouble and buying the few gifts we do each year.

What I do know is that we will most definitely be spending the day at home, with a nice little holiday meal. I am already planning a fruit cake, since everyone loves them although they are expensive to make. Other than that, we will be figuring it out as we go.
Mackie
rinty

Post by rinty »

Aw Mackie aren't you lovley ? Glad for the angel tree child you are gifting x I do hope ( now you say he has 35 hrs a week ) that Homeless Buddy can manage. you do so much.

I am at the stage of Christmas is a day right now. Whatever we can fit in , whenever it fits in. Which kid do we visit ? Who gets left out ? Do we do a dayof drive bys ?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Keeping my fingers crossed that this virus does not stop our sons from coming home for Christmas. I know that the youngest one will be able to come (of course that depends on the weather and road conditions) but the oldest lives in another province and hopefully they will not shut down interprovincial travel.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well, I have finally ordered one gift - I hope to have everything ordered before Monday. I need to get with it. Gift giving plans have changed a bit and will be gifting daughter 3 or 4 gifts and a stocking - since we will likely be stuck at home and just the two of us - we decided to "go bigger", lol. Nothing extravagant though - some fun and practical things.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
rinty

Post by rinty »

That sounds nice, Sheila.

I ordered DS every item on his wish list ( 6 things ) Two cost pennies.............." jelly beans " and " packet of biscuits ". Got another delivered today. OMGOSH they saw me coming ............I paid £ 44.99 for a LEGO SuperMario set and its TINY :shock: :? :shock:

DH said send it back as DS saw it in a catalogue and it DOES NOT look like that in real life. But I can't bear the flack. If DS gives it the cold stare I might send it back on Boxing Day mind you. The OTHER thing , a much cheaper tractor and trailer toy is frickin' HUGE, the box is massive and who knows where we'll put it .

None of the kids have come up with what they would like so it'll be vouchers. The Dds have some little stocking fillas and they've been done for ages . Marzipan fruits, reuseable make up wipes, some socks ...........just cute bits and bobs AND the traditional gift I can't get away with NOT gifting them.............a new Christmas bauble. One likes " tasteful" , the other likes " pure, over the top , in your face CHRISTMAS ".

DH found a truly awful Elf with " tasteful " daughters name on it on a tag round its neck , so he insisted we buy that and tie it to the front of her stocking. Naturally , they didn't have one with other daughters name, she would prob have loved it ;)