Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:55 pm
DH has, after prior speeches regarding the need to cut back, just handed me his credit card (we use those instead of debit cards or cash for the rewards $). He hasn't yet on this go, but I think it's because he wants to gas up all the vehicles first :lol:

You're going to make me blush :oops: Unless we're in some kind of $ crunch, which has happened before and could happen again, one never knows, "found" $ gets rerouted. What point is there to money if you can't do good with it? I had that one hit me again when I prayed about our sick, very solvent, friend requesting $ to get alternative treatments for what is, short of a miracle, a terminal disease. What good is having it if you don't DO good with it? I also have just a dread of seeing anything go into a landfill. If it has more life in it, it should be be restored and used. You can't throw things "away" - it's a small planet, there IS NO "away."

And the table is COOL!! If either of my kids were in the 'move out' stage I'd send it with them for their dinette. My parents had one a lot like it (same chrome edging, different formica, and no extensions as we were a small family) in the 60s when we live at Nellis AFB. Nostalgia!! I'd keep it and add some red padded 60s style chairs if I had any real use for it but, alas, I have no space that needs a table.

I was reading about your canned food storage and, it's funny... We were grocery shopping last Sunday and the feeling that we might want to stock up on some canned stuff hit me. It was weird because it has never happened before - I don't like canned stuff; it's probably because for whatever reason my Mom used a lot of it before Dad retired and we got into a house with a yard where they could grow food. Some veggies my kids have never had out of a can. I might see if DS can stomach Le Sueur peas, because he won't eat them (we're vegetarian and...) in the frozen or fresh form - a DS quote: "Peas are what green tastes like" :lol: so, canned may be the ticket - they're the only canned pea I like so I guess there's hope for a genetic inclination to tiny peas.

But canned food. Which pretty much has to be veggies / tomato products, and beans (which I prefer to cook from dry in a crock pot). I worry about it because I fear disuse. I mean if we get to mid next-year and no calamity has caused us to go through everything, what am I going to do with canned stuff? Give it away, I guess. Which isn't a bad use and may well be a good plan. Thanks for prompting me to think that all the way through :P Maybe I'll put a little more TVP in the pantry for protein; these people never get sick of soup (I get sick of it, but I can't have much anyway so may as well please them). Canned refried beans aren't a bad idea, either.

Gah. Now I have to make a list. I think they'll eat canned corn. :roll:
Good luck with the canned peas. I grew up gagging down canned peas...lol. I do love them fresh or frozen.
I grew up post WWII and we ate a lot of canned veggies. Not to mention during the late 40's and early 50's we did not have access to the vast variety of fresh fruits and produce like people have become accustomed to. I remember in the late 50's I was very ill and on a lot of antibiotics, my Dr said I needed yogurt to help restore my bowel bacteria. None of our local grocery stores carried it. My Mom had to go to nearby community of Macedonians immigrants to buy it. Back in my day a turkey had to be ordered weeks before the holidays in order to have one. Now turkey is available in every form you can think of. If the fresh supply of foods were to be is interrupted a lot of people will be up a creek.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

DH scared the daylights out of himself today and felt the need to call and scare me, too (sharing!). He somehow thought he had failed to secure, during open enrollment last month, anything other than basic health coverage for us for the next coverage year (no prescription, dental, or vision coverage, and no FSA). He was FREAKED OUT.

Anytime he's like that the best thing to do is talk him down, so I did - if it's messed up, we'll deal with it, we've dealt with weird things before (admittedly not this weird), but if you are correct and it IS messed up, given that whole no FSA and no 'scrips coverage thing, you better not catch this stupid bug.

It's the first year they went through the process online rather than on paper; turned out he'd just read the notification of coverage wrong, it's fine. I think he may have felt faint for a while there.

It's nice having a guy who, when he DOES mess up (it happens :lol: ), admits it, brings it to your attention, and helps find a way to deal with it. I've known people (was married to one, am now related to 2 others) who would die before they'd admit they'd made a mistake; always find some way to cover up or deflect, and then try to find someone else to blame. Life's too short for those games.

Today was a no spend day. Felt extra frugal turning dried pinto beans into soup in the crockpot ;). I need to feel like that more often.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:08 pm
DH scared the daylights out of himself today and felt the need to call and scare me, too (sharing!). He somehow thought he had failed to secure, during open enrollment last month, anything other than basic health coverage for us for the next coverage year (no prescription, dental, or vision coverage, and no FSA). He was FREAKED OUT.

Anytime he's like that the best thing to do is talk him down, so I did - if it's messed up, we'll deal with it, we've dealt with weird things before (admittedly not this weird), but if you are correct and it IS messed up, given that whole no FSA and no 'scrips coverage thing, you better not catch this stupid bug.

It's the first year they went through the process online rather than on paper; turned out he'd just read the notification of coverage wrong, it's fine. I think he may have felt faint for a while there.

It's nice having a guy who, when he DOES mess up (it happens :lol: ), admits it, brings it to your attention, and helps find a way to deal with it. I've known people (was married to one, am now related to 2 others) who would die before they'd admit they'd made a mistake; always find some way to cover up or deflect, and then try to find someone else to blame. Life's too short for those games.

Today was a no spend day. Felt extra frugal turning dried pinto beans into soup in the crockpot ;). I need to feel like that more often.
Good to hear crisis was averted..You have a good husband that is for sure.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I did something today that I have not done in 28 years. I got a flu shot.

DH and I were talking about him (company sponsored, they hedge against cold and flu season) getting one, and covid, and having to wonder, if someone gets sick, about WHAT it is, and now all 4 of us have been needled. My kids have always avoided it (only 1 has ever had the flu, just once, and shook it off pretty quick) but actually SAW THE LOGIC. Of course I left out the part about the shot not covering every single strain...

There's the chance, of course, that I'll react the way I used to - get the flu because I've had the shot (I wonder what a normal immune system is like :lol: ), but I figure it's still better than catching it unawares. DH said, "It's been 28 years, San, whatever's in that thing, it's probably different now." I guess we'll see...

This weekend is a no-spend weekend (is there a confetti emoji?); the only big thing on the lineup is defrosting the freezer in the garage on Sunday. Fun!! It's 18+ years old, I hope it starts again when we plug it back in.

Nothing else going on here. Covid cases are trending back up because people are just short-sighted. Or don't understand virology. I mentioned to someone that viruses aren't technically alive because they need a host in order to survive, multiply, etc.. and you'd have thought I said I'd personally seen Godzilla.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 pm
I did something today that I have not done in 28 years. I got a flu shot.

DH and I were talking about him (company sponsored, they hedge against cold and flu season) getting one, and covid, and having to wonder, if someone gets sick, about WHAT it is, and now all 4 of us have been needled. My kids have always avoided it (only 1 has ever had the flu, just once, and shook it off pretty quick) but actually SAW THE LOGIC. Of course I left out the part about the shot not covering every single strain...

There's the chance, of course, that I'll react the way I used to - get the flu because I've had the shot (I wonder what a normal immune system is like :lol: ), but I figure it's still better than catching it unawares. DH said, "It's been 28 years, San, whatever's in that thing, it's probably different now." I guess we'll see...

This weekend is a no-spend weekend (is there a confetti emoji?); the only big thing on the lineup is defrosting the freezer in the garage on Sunday. Fun!! It's 18+ years old, I hope it starts again when we plug it back in.

Nothing else going on here. Covid cases are trending back up because people are just short-sighted. Or don't understand virology. I mentioned to someone that viruses aren't technically alive because they need a host in order to survive, multiply, etc.. and you'd have thought I said I'd personally seen Godzilla.
Covid cases on the rise here as well.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Jackielou wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:17 pm
Covid cases on the rise here as well.
Our state #s are weird, it's like 1101, 1164, 1089, 1083, 1276, 990 - by day since Monday. And the low #s are always on weekends, who knows why - test result return times vary pretty wildly here, from same-day to 10-days depending on where you get tested, so it's hard to find a pattern. Overall, the "trend" in that sequence of #'s, thought, isn't down. But because it dropped from 1164 to 1089, then to 1083, and ended at 990... I know people who think the trend is down. That 1276? Yeah, they think that's an anomaly, even though it's higher than last week's high #. :roll: