Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

I have not yet decided the nature of the challenge(s) for this year but I'm pretty sure tracking will be more $-oriented than spend/no-spend oriented. Traveled for the last week, spent every day. I'm 0 for 6 on no-spend days.

Need to go to the grocery store and tomorrow need to do some cooking for DH's lunches. I found a black bean pumpkin soup recipe that looks interesting, easy to tweak to vegan.

We are NOT getting $ back when we file this year; we will have to pay. Which is okay, but 2020 has to be planned better. At least I have a full year of my pay added to DH's to use as a guideline this time. Though his co. incurred some high costs (it's 'planning for the future' costs so eventually it should come back around) this year which drove profits down (not publicly traded so they don't get griped at for that) which has driven the criteria they use to determine bonuses down. Which is fine, we don't rely on it, but last year's was high, so my comparison still won't be apple to apples for this year. I'd rather get just a little back than have to pay again, though, so I'll plan as though this year is like last year and we should be okay.

My ex used to shave his withholding way down and have to pay every year.... for 3 years, then the IRS sent a letter and he stopped that nonsense. I'd rather never get another letter :?

Happy New Year. Live Frugal and Prosper!
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandi good luck with your challenge. I find making a budget and tracking easier than spend or no spending. I feel it all comes out of the same pot whether you spend it in one day or 10. Looking forward to your new challenge..
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Wave 1 of the 2020 challenge: don't use my income (tithe on it, absolutely, but don't use it).

We went without it for nearly 14 years and there are presently no $-heavy projects coming up except an additional 'vacation' as a celebration of DD's HS graduation and DH's master's being done. I'm trying to cut my hours back (my part-time job became more like a full-time thing... I'm trying to take it back down to a true part time thing).

Technically there's no reason this can't be done, both $- and hours-wise (we'll see what crops up that isn't technical ;) ).

Wave 2 is.... being played with; I'm not sure I want to spend a great deal of time tracking $. I SHOULD, because how else can we learn where it goes, right? But I have way more 'fun' uses for my time :lol: (not really, I'm pretty dull)

Today we pay DH's tuition for this semester, $X - while also getting his tuition for last semester reimbursed - also $X. To the dollar, they cancel each other out. First time that's happened. That's like a no-spend thing, right, so, yay, I had a no spend day! 1 of 7 is 14.29%
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Yesterday was a no spend day - 2 for 8 = 25% :D

Today is a spend day - DD is taking her driving test :shock: and if that works out (she's SO nervous, and generally freezes (internally freaks out) for the first 3-5 minutes of any test - which works out okay academically because she recovers, but I'm not sure how it'll work out during a driving test.

At any rate, I didn't want HER to have to pay for that, so $ out today for the test, the license, hopefully, and then.... the bump in insurance coverage. (In OK, a driver on a permit doesn't raise your rates, but the second they're on a LICENSE, up they go), so $ out for that. Making today a spend day - 2 for 9 = 22.222% :)

Tomorrow she gets her wisdom teeth out. FSA spend. Do I count that? It's a medical necessity... ah, but it requires special groceries (ice cream, apparently), so it's a spend day even if I don't count the oral surgeon's payment. 2 for 10 = 20% :?

On the up side my first 'paycheck' (it's a $ transfer) for the year is in, in the savings account, so yay, new goals for the win :D
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I thought I'd use what is a spend day anyway (DD is officially licensed) to obtain leeks. Three stores - NO LEEKS. Very weird.

Saturday & Sunday will be post-op no-spend days, that'll get us to 4 out of 12, 33%.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:07 pm I thought I'd use what is a spend day anyway (DD is officially licensed) to obtain leeks. Three stores - NO LEEKS. Very weird.

Saturday & Sunday will be post-op no-spend days, that'll get us to 4 out of 12, 33%.
In my area leeks are considered a spring veggie. Not sure where you can find them now.
Janet Alliesmama