Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Beverley

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by Beverley »

I love to play poker, especially Texas Hold Em. I was in a couple of poker groups for several years but they eventually disbanded. I still play poker on Zynga sometimes. For a while a small group of us used to get together once a week and play Hand and Foot. Sometimes to change things up a little we would play Mexican Train dominos (I was in a group for that for several years), I had to quit our Hand and Foot group due to covid. Since DS lives with me and works in a grocery store I have to limit my contacts :(

At different times when I worked in my State job we would play Hearts.

I tried Bridge a few times but don't really care for it.

I really hope once this virus is under control to get into some card groups again.

Bev
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I don't believe I've ever been in a room with people playing Bridge. It was described to me once and my brain sort of shut down (I need simple things :lol: ). I don't even know for sure that Hand and Foot is a card game, so I have to go look that up. I think this is a side effect of having been an only child of two people who, to the best of my knowledge, never played cards. If they did I certainly never saw it.

I don't even know if Texas Hold 'Em, which I have never played and don't know the rules for, was even invented yet the last time I played poker (around 1998); we pretty much limited ourselves to 5-card draw and 5-card stud, of which I preferred the latter.

We alternated poker nights with Trivial Pursuit nights that went on, and on, and on, because we had a couple of super smart people (and we played teams a lot) who happened to have terrible luck with dice. Someone brought Pictionary a couple of times so we tried that, but we were a group of 'force of habit' folk and wound up falling back on what we knew - not a one of us was an even passable artist, either, that may have doomed Pictionary - one can only do so much with stick figures :lol:

I miss being around the people, as we've totally scattered now, but I doubt I could pull an all-night game night again; I'm no longer a night owl.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Well, it's the end of November. Spending is... well, let me put it this way: I took DH's card. He didn't argue.

Tomorrow's repast will consist of Tofurkey (a faux turkey - it doesn't look like a turkey, it looks kind of like a turkey breast, pre-stuffed with a wild rice and bread stuffing - it's the only wheat thing that will be on the table tomorrow, everything else is gluten free - I eat a GF Gardein "scallopini" - which is essentially a slab of vegetable protein designed to look like a chicken cutlet; not bad, but the texture is a little different, it usually requires getting it dried out a little in the cooking process), mashed potatoes (DS's favorite), GF vegan gravy, roasted carrots, sauteed spinach, LeSeur peas, muffins made with pumpkin, cranberry sauce, and GF pumpkin pie (DH's specialty of the day - next month he'll make an apple pie for my birthday, he's like the czar of GF pie, LOL).

This has morphed over the years; it's been a while since we felt the need to make stuffing or sweet potatoes - why make what no one eats? I LOVE sweet potatoes, but can't have them - then it occurred to me that there was no green in the traditional fair (can't stand green bean casserole, DH had it growing up so we tried it once and realized we both hated it :lol: - my parents had never made it) so we added sauteed spinach (which DS will not eat because 'chlorophyll' - he'll eat raw spinach but not cooked - so peas were added). We'll see if sauteed mushrooms end up in the mix somewhere.

It's one of the 3 days of the year (Christmas, Easter) I don't eat a salad as the main part of dinner, really looking forward to it :lol:

December will have to be low-spend. Well, doesn't "have" to be, but it WILL be, LOL.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:55 pm Well, it's the end of November. Spending is... well, let me put it this way: I took DH's card. He didn't argue.

Tomorrow's repast will consist of Tofurkey (a faux turkey - it doesn't look like a turkey, it looks kind of like a turkey breast, pre-stuffed with a wild rice and bread stuffing - it's the only wheat thing that will be on the table tomorrow, everything else is gluten free - I eat a GF Gardein "scallopini" - which is essentially a slab of vegetable protein designed to look like a chicken cutlet; not bad, but the texture is a little different, it usually requires getting it dried out a little in the cooking process), mashed potatoes (DS's favorite), GF vegan gravy, roasted carrots, sauteed spinach, LeSeur peas, muffins made with pumpkin, cranberry sauce, and GF pumpkin pie (DH's specialty of the day - next month he'll make an apple pie for my birthday, he's like the czar of GF pie, LOL).

This has morphed over the years; it's been a while since we felt the need to make stuffing or sweet potatoes - why make what no one eats? I LOVE sweet potatoes, but can't have them - then it occurred to me that there was no green in the traditional fair (can't stand green bean casserole, DH had it growing up so we tried it once and realized we both hated it :lol: - my parents had never made it) so we added sauteed spinach (which DS will not eat because 'chlorophyll' - he'll eat raw spinach but not cooked - so peas were added). We'll see if sauteed mushrooms end up in the mix somewhere.

It's one of the 3 days of the year (Christmas, Easter) I don't eat a salad as the main part of dinner, really looking forward to it :lol:

December will have to be low-spend. Well, doesn't "have" to be, but it WILL be, LOL.
Sandi after hearing a while back that your son liked the leSuer peas I thought I would try them again. Nope! I had high hopes of liking them but had a flash back to my childhood having to sit for hours at the table when my Mom insisted that I eat them. Sometimes I add chopped mushrooms to my frozen peas. I love frozen and fresh peas. Anyway I do cut the mushrooms up in to smaller pieces.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I like mushrooms; I like peas... But peas and mushrooms mixed together? Not intentionally ;)

Not long ago I was looking for something on Vitacost and a bottle of chlorophyll (which is apparently a supplement?) caught my eye. So I showed it to DS and said, "Wonder what that tastes like," and he said "Peas." He's quick, LOL.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:36 pm I like mushrooms; I like peas... But peas and mushrooms mixed together? Not intentionally ;)

Not long ago I was looking for something on Vitacost and a bottle of chlorophyll (which is apparently a supplement?) caught my eye. So I showed it to DS and said, "Wonder what that tastes like," and he said "Peas." He's quick, LOL.
Yes your son is quick...good one!! lol..
Janet Alliesmama