Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

December 4th!

I'm working (can you tell?) and DH is off, so he's dusting and vacuuming - bwhahaha! Actually he's good at it and strong enough / crazy enough to do things like high ledges and ceiling fans. There is NO WAY I'm getting on a ladder while holding up the vacuum cleaner in one hand and the wand thing in the other - the way lies a trip to the ER.

He's back home working virtually 'til at least the 2nd week of January, but he has soooo many days off in December, those of the "use them or lose them" variety, that he's doing projects. Which is nice, if noisy. Also nice is the wide range of leftovers in the fridge, because that will mean a day off from having to imagineer dinner.

Spending is... down for the week. Haven't had anything pressing except a run for pizza toppings (feta and spinach). Already own the Christmas cards and bought the stamps, so I have stuff to keep me busy between work calls - it was a wild work week 'til today.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Almost mid December. 2020. Wow.

Financially... I had a bad work week & was tired. So I decided to do something we 'don't' do, usually, particularly when in a pandemic... we ordered a takeout Friday. Impossible Burgers - mine with sauteed mushrooms and swiss cheese on a GF bun. THIS is NOT sanctioned diabetic food :lol: That was the best burger I've had in lo these many years of not eating beef. Amazing.

Maybe it's just because it was an anomaly :lol: in my otherwise mostly repetitive repertoire of salads.

Weird changes at the telecommuting job will bring a temporary shift in the nature of the work, after that it should settle down again. Boss is talking about establishing a 401(k) - which has to be quite the feat considering he has so few people on the books - and has once again offered me true employment so I can jump on that. Meee-ehh... maybe. If there's a match if would seem silly to skip it HOWEVER, it'll all hinge on that and the # of years it'll take to be fully vested, because, as it is...IRAs exist, LOL, and I don't really know how long I'll be doing this. Probably 'til the youngest is out of college? Can I psychologically hang in there that long? Longer? Also, if the boss decides to retire and hand things off to the heir apparent :? ... I don't know that he can hold the whole thing together, the personality is so different and the nature of their side of the work is dependent upon the ability to deal with people well (me? not so much :lol: but it's okay, when necessary I can fake "outgoing," and I'll never be in the same room with a client anyway). Too much to think about right now, I'll wait to see if it's an offer I can't refuse :lol:

Outside of all that, I'm pretty fed up with this stay home most of the time thing (this from the reigning monarch of introverts), but... needs must.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:33 pm Almost mid December. 2020. Wow.

Financially... I had a bad work week & was tired. So I decided to do something we 'don't' do, usually, particularly when in a pandemic... we ordered a takeout Friday. Impossible Burgers - mine with sauteed mushrooms and swiss cheese on a GF bun. THIS is NOT sanctioned diabetic food :lol: That was the best burger I've had in lo these many years of not eating beef. Amazing.

Maybe it's just because it was an anomaly :lol: in my otherwise mostly repetitive repertoire of salads.

Weird changes at the telecommuting job will bring a temporary shift in the nature of the work, after that it should settle down again. Boss is talking about establishing a 401(k) - which has to be quite the feat considering he has so few people on the books - and has once again offered me true employment so I can jump on that. Meee-ehh... maybe. If there's a match if would seem silly to skip it HOWEVER, it'll all hinge on that and the # of years it'll take to be fully vested, because, as it is...IRAs exist, LOL, and I don't really know how long I'll be doing this. Probably 'til the youngest is out of college? Can I psychologically hang in there that long? Longer? Also, if the boss decides to retire and hand things off to the heir apparent :? ... I don't know that he can hold the whole thing together, the personality is so different and the nature of their side of the work is dependent upon the ability to deal with people well (me? not so much :lol: but it's okay, when necessary I can fake "outgoing," and I'll never be in the same room with a client anyway). Too much to think about right now, I'll wait to see if it's an offer I can't refuse :lol:

Outside of all that, I'm pretty fed up with this stay home most of the time thing (this from the reigning monarch of introverts), but... needs must.
Sandi your burger sounds really good. I have thought about the Impossible burger but have not had the courage to buy any...lol.
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Weird changes at the telecommuting job will bring a temporary shift in the nature of the work, after that it should settle down again. Boss is talking about establishing a 401(k) - which has to be quite the feat considering he has so few people on the books - and has once again offered me true employment so I can jump on that. Meee-ehh... maybe. If there's a match if would seem silly to skip it HOWEVER, it'll all hinge on that and the # of years it'll take to be fully vested, because, as it is...IRAs exist, LOL, and I don't really know how long I'll be doing this.
I believe it is 5 years to be fully vested. It's prorated before that. Get a look at the fee structure before you make a decision. (DH passed on his company's because of the number and amount of fees. And I told him the same thing ... there are IRAs :D )

And as a carnivore, I have to admit I am impressed by the plant-based burgers ...
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

LWolfT wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:43 pm I believe it is 5 years to be fully vested. It's prorated before that. Get a look at the fee structure before you make a decision. (DH passed on his company's because of the number and amount of fees. And I told him the same thing ... there are IRAs :D )

And as a carnivore, I have to admit I am impressed by the plant-based burgers ...
I've had variance at previous employers in terms of vesting, I think my first one was 5 years and another was three. Not sure if that's some internal thing for the companies or what drove the difference. Either way, I'd have to wait a full year of being officially employed to be eligible. The more I think about it, the less it seems like something we need right now.

IMO the Impossible burger (Red Robin has all manner of topping options) is better than the Beyond Meat burger - the BYM tastes a little 'smokey' to me and whatever it is that causes that taste messes up my stomach for hours. Not that I'm making a habit of either, but I'd never been aware of the sauteed mushroom option before yesterday and now I think I may want another one soon. Maybe January :lol:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:14 pm Sandi your burger sounds really good. I have thought about the Impossible burger but have not had the courage to buy any...lol.
Red Robin has the gf bun option. Burger King, alas, will never get my business because if I'm going to spend $ on a takeout burger, it needs to have a bun (one that doesn't cause pain for days).

I did read Target carries Impossible burgers in their freezer section. This would be a far more economic option than having it cooked FOR me. But I'd need to find a good GF bun (RR's is GOOD, you'd never guess it's GF - I wonder what brand it is; at this point I only know what brand it's NOT).

Doubly more economic to buy them frozen because, really, DH and I could split a burger and be full, they're that large. DS can make one disappear so fast you'd think he was a Hoover :lol: and his sister eats "half now, half later." How she can stand a reheated bun is a mystery to me but... waste not, want not, I suppose.