Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm It wasn't nearly as funny as around 10 years ago, we were walking in the "woods" at a state park and I went over a downed tree - with my hands in my pockets... smack into the fallen leaves and scrub. I went to see my chiropractor the next Monday and he said "What... have you done?" :lol:

To this day my kids tell me to take my hands out of my pockets when they see fallen trees or even just logs. Smart alecks ;)

I barely feel last week's goof today.
Good to hear you are doing ok. With your back problem you need to be more careful..just saying..Call me Mom...lol.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

We're on the closing end of October - spending is down, school (college and hs for the kids) and work (the rest of us :lol: ) are humming along.

I think DH is going a little stir-crazy. He's an extrovert. I told him last night, as big an introvert as I am, even I'm feeling this, so you're probably just nutz (he's been grouchy)... he did not deny, LOL.

I need a nap that will not be forthcoming; I must go deal with virtual paperwork :( Oh well, at least virtual paper saves on trees :D

The Leseur peas were a hit with the kid who hates peas!! He said "these are different," and proceeded NOT to complain about the taste of chlorophyll as he ate them. Bought more of those.

Not that canned peas are the pinnacle of healthy eating but it's good for a vegetarian to occasionally dabble in actual vegetables...
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Mid- November. Time flies. Had an actual employee of the company for which I work (as a contractor, from states away) turn up positive for Covid. Then another one. It was a rough few weeks. DH's company has been... It was either Jody or MJ who said they had been "dodging bullets right and left" with Covid - well, DH's coworkers have not learned to dodge sufficiently, several have been and/or are afflicted. One for so long he ran out of vacation time and FMLA, etc., he isn't feeling bad anymore but he can't get a test to come up negative - and as long as he's positive, they can't let him in the building. So they had someone deliver his computer and he's working from home. Hasn't been out for months and it's really showing, he's very gregarious and when he calls DH can't get him off the phone. Others have mostly recovered, one with a negative test still has chest pain and a cough - mid 20s and strong as an ox so it's just one of 'those' things. NOW the prez of the company has it. So far his case is mild but with all the cleaning, masking, distancing, etc., protocol they have it's amazing - but it must be working because the people who have been sick there are not people who have been in contact with each other at work - they got it outside of work.

Which just means, of course, that protocol is not carrying over to 'real' life. Which is a bummer because case #s here are on the rise in a big way. Governor is useless. Mayor of the nearest large city is actually pretty smart but the people are so hard-headed you can't get through to them. Every zip code in the area is BRIGHT RED for "hot zone" status. It's a mess.

I think I'm going back to ordering groceries online and having them put in the car by brave people. We (family) talked about it; if one of us gets it it's nearly a done deal that ALL of us will get it, and 2 of us are asthmatic (one of those asthmatics is also over 50 and diabetic) so we want to come in contact with the fewest # of unmasked people as we can. Which means we're stockpiling the Great British Baking Show on Netflix for watching over the Thanksgiving holiday, and learning (DH and I are re-learning) Uno, Rummy, and... it has a weird scoring system...Cribbage!! (DH used to play it with his grandparents). Monopoly is good, too, but it takes soooo long, we end up having to dedicate the coffee table to the running game for days - also scrabble. We are exciting people :lol:
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:38 pm Mid- November. Time flies. Had an actual employee of the company for which I work (as a contractor, from states away) turn up positive for Covid. Then another one. It was a rough few weeks. DH's company has been... It was either Jody or MJ who said they had been "dodging bullets right and left" with Covid - well, DH's coworkers have not learned to dodge sufficiently, several have been and/or are afflicted. One for so long he ran out of vacation time and FMLA, etc., he isn't feeling bad anymore but he can't get a test to come up negative - and as long as he's positive, they can't let him in the building. So they had someone deliver his computer and he's working from home. Hasn't been out for months and it's really showing, he's very gregarious and when he calls DH can't get him off the phone. Others have mostly recovered, one with a negative test still has chest pain and a cough - mid 20s and strong as an ox so it's just one of 'those' things. NOW the prez of the company has it. So far his case is mild but with all the cleaning, masking, distancing, etc., protocol they have it's amazing - but it must be working because the people who have been sick there are not people who have been in contact with each other at work - they got it outside of work.

Which just means, of course, that protocol is not carrying over to 'real' life. Which is a bummer because case #s here are on the rise in a big way. Governor is useless. Mayor of the nearest large city is actually pretty smart but the people are so hard-headed you can't get through to them. Every zip code in the area is BRIGHT RED for "hot zone" status. It's a mess.

I think I'm going back to ordering groceries online and having them put in the car by brave people. We (family) talked about it; if one of us gets it it's nearly a done deal that ALL of us will get it, and 2 of us are asthmatic (one of those asthmatics is also over 50 and diabetic) so we want to come in contact with the fewest # of unmasked people as we can. Which means we're stockpiling the Great British Baking Show on Netflix for watching over the Thanksgiving holiday, and learning (DH and I are re-learning) Uno, Rummy, and... it has a weird scoring system...Cribbage!! (DH used to play it with his grandparents). Monopoly is good, too, but it takes soooo long, we end up having to dedicate the coffee table to the running game for days - also scrabble. We are exciting people :lol:
Hubby and I play Crib all the time. It is something we both learned at a very young age. Hubby is much better at it than I am. I am looking into getting another Scrabble game and perhaps Triominos if I can find it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I have not played Cribbage since I retired from my State job in 2011.Back then I used to play with a co-worker during our afternoon breaks. I do need a refresher but I love playing it. I like the fact it can be played with 2, 3, 4 or maybe even six people. I have not played with six or even three very much. Usually it's a 2 handed game for me. I learned from watching my parents and grandparents play.

Bev
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Cribbage was something I'd never even heard of 'til I met DH's grandfather, who could track ALL the players' scores IN HIS HEAD at 94!!

Rummy and Uno I learned from a high school friend.

Then she went her way, I went mine, and while we still know each other there's nearly 1800 miles between us so... I forgot how to play (I also knew 'go fish' at one point, but that's *gone,* too, we may have to look up the rules).

What I did learn and retain, due to over a decade of playing for hours at a time at least 2-3 times a month in my early adulthood, is poker. But I'm not going to teach my kids that, LOL. DH was never taught, though that same grandfather of his played it for financial gain over the full timeframe of his military involvement in WW2.