Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:18 am
I think genetics is at work on him too, Janet. For generations, weight management has been a problem. He is the only one of his direct family who is not overweight thanks to Keto. Diabetes may be involved, but not noted in the past generations. High blood pressure is genetic for sure. He doesn't like to prick and he lets me know that. But I stood in front of him with hands on hips. He got the message.
My diabetes does go back for generations and several great Aunt's went blind due to the era they lived in and did not have the information and medications we have now a days. My Aunt died due to non compliance. That is one reason I want to keep a close check on things. Good luck with your DH and his diabetes.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:59 am
This has been a good nudge. Thanks ladies. Hubs is up 10 lbs and is having a struggle getting it off and back down to target weight. Until this discussion, I didn't even think to ask him to do a sugar test. He usually runs around 102-110 on keto and medication. However, if his body is changing, his sugar reading might tell us that he needs to visit the doctor. Thanks. Going to monitor the sugar for awhile.
You sound like a person who likes a good medical read.... "The Diabetes Code" by Dr. Jason Fung is an interesting book. Probably a library book, but the audio version is currently free with a trial of Audible on Amazon - I couldn't do the audio, I have to 'see' what's being said in any kind of science or math text. It details the differences between the sugars - glucose, fructose, sucrose - and their varied impact on the whole process that leads up to diabetes.

I usually only read at night once everything else is done so it's been slow going for me but the realization that fructose (I was such a fruit addict!) is only handled by the liver and what gets done with it.... well, no surprise my mom has non-alcoholic fatty liver. I don't, yet, and hope to nip the possibility in the bud.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into it. I am a visual learner too. I get so much from reading and nothing from audio. I am a bit embarrassed by my brain limitation.

I didn't know that about fruit. Keto discourages fruit, so we eat a lot of vegetables. I have decided to add in a bit of fruit because it appears I need more carbohydrates than hubs. You gave me things to think about. I love things to think about. Thanks.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

It's actually a nice day out. A no-spend day to boot.

Tomorrow, however, will be a spend day - I will end the first day of March at a rousing 0%. DH will once again be gone, from Tuesday 'til the end of the week, so I *might* make through most of the week just using what we have here - DD has a college-course-related 'field trip' Tuesday, there may be a little spending when she returns from that as I pick her up after dropping her Dad off at the airport and that has triggered a desire for pizza sourced outside the home from DS.

Even before I couldn't handle traditional bread products, it's been decades since a non-homemade pizza held ANY appeal at all. HOW, in my late teens, I ever thought a specific chain made decent pizza is a mystery - though maybe they did, back then (it might have just been the people I visited the chain with, those were some awesome people, and WHO you eat with plays a big part in how good the memory of a meal is). Restaurant food has changed since 1982, and sadly not for the better. I may offer DS a frozen option, some of those (Freshchetta? I can't spell it) aren't TOO bad, ingredient-wise, and you can add fresh toppings. I'll let the 2 of them figure out what they want, I'll be having the usual salad.

Seed starting (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash) has started in earnest in my office. Because there's space in there for the table and grow lights, DH commandeered the spot in front of the window. Oh, well, it'll all be out in the garden soon enough and the table / light installation will be back in the attic.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good luck with your garden. I love vegetables from mine. However, here in the semi-tropics, we don't get a freeze, so the bugs are really bad come May/June. About the only things that seem to do well are plants from the tropics. But this year, I will try sweet potatoes in my kiddie pool garden. They did well when I lived here in the 1980's, but it is warmer here now.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:28 am
Good luck with your garden. I love vegetables from mine. However, here in the semi-tropics, we don't get a freeze, so the bugs are really bad come May/June. About the only things that seem to do well are plants from the tropics. But this year, I will try sweet potatoes in my kiddie pool garden. They did well when I lived here in the 1980's, but it is warmer here now.
Climate change is happening. I even notice it up here in the cold northern clime.