Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
BevMoore

Re: Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Post by BevMoore »

Most plumbing I cannot do because I am bigger than the places beneath my sinks. But I do have a plumber I like that I can call on as needed. His rates are reasonable.

I am however trying to repair and recondition things my self as much as I can. I have learned help is not always there when you need it so I need to be more self sufficient (and save money in the process). Unfortunately I was not able to repair the pedestal fan that quit working so I stored it in the garage for parts since I have two others like it.)

Bev

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have been inspired to do a little minor repair around here. One of the screws that holds the toilet seat in place in the master bathroom broke a while back. I ordered a universal repair screw and it arrived last week but I never got around to putting it on. However you ladies have inspired me to get my keister going. The instructions were very easy and straightforward but step number 4 was a hoot. Remember to put the toilet seat down to preserve household harmony. lol. Number 5 was sort of silly ..use the toilet as needed. What the heck?..lol. Also I put a new flapper on the toilet in the second bathroom. My friends husband was going to make a 3 hour trip to do it for me before the pandemic hit. I thought it cannot be that complicated so I ordered one from Amazon and it was an easy fix. Wish other things around here that need to be done were that simple.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Fixed the sticky lock on my car's trunk. Rehung the window blind that came down when hubs pulled on it too hard.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

A couple of weeks ago my aide told me a hall light was burned out and would I like for her to replace the lightbulb. Told her I would have to buy the bulb next time I went in to town. Then a few days later I flipped the switch, like you automatically do, and the light came on. Then a few days later no light and I did not think to flip it off. Came back later and the light was on. So I thought maybe a wire is shorting out and I will have to get an electrician in to check it out. Big money. I put painters tape over the light switches to prevent us from using them. Then one night I had an ah ha moment. I wondered if it could be the energy saving lightbulb that has been in the socket for about 10 years and it might be burning out? So installed an incandescent light and left it on for a couple of hours no problem. Then used it for several days using the switch and no problem. Problem solved and money saved. I had my aide put in another energy saving light bulb that hopefully will last as long as the last one. The new lightbulb was free from my utility company. A while back they had a flyer in their monthly billing where you could send them a request for some free energy saving items and one of them was energy saving lightbulbs.
Janet Alliesmama

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good FREE thinking Janet! I just repaired a small sink hole in my lawn. My neighbor, who grew up in the house I live in, said it's where they buried the old septic tank. I did spend $38 and change on top soil but I didn't hire anyone to help me. I may need some more dirt - I need to let the soil get rained on and settle. My neighbor said I can have a whole wheelbarrow load from his garden. Wish I had thought of that before!

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:32 pm
Good FREE thinking Janet! I just repaired a small sink hole in my lawn. My neighbor, who grew up in the house I live in, said it's where they buried the old septic tank. I did spend $38 and change on top soil but I didn't hire anyone to help me. I may need some more dirt - I need to let the soil get rained on and settle. My neighbor said I can have a whole wheelbarrow load from his garden. Wish I had thought of that before!
Good to hear your neighbor was able to give you some insight in to the cause. Also good that he will be giving you some dirt too. You might have to keep after the hole off and on for a long time as things settle. Over the years I emptied my earth box soil and big terra cotta pot dirt in to holes around my yard and over the years have had to do it again but eventually things will settle.
Janet Alliesmama