Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Post by alliesmama4 »

BevMoore wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:01 pm
That fan I cleaned a couple of weeks ago has stopped working again so I will be taking it apart to see what the problem is. I brought in a brand new fan I bought last year and still had in the box. These pedestal fans really put out a nice stream of air and goes a long way. I have three of them including the one I need to fix. We use the a lot to cut down on air conditioning costs.

Bev
I prefer fans too. I do not like A/C. However sometimes it is a necessary evil. What I like to do when it gets really hot is to run the A/C for a couple of cycles to get the humidity down and then use the fans to keep the air circulating. I set the thermostat on 80 F so when the house gets too hot it will kick on the A/C for a while to cool down a little bit.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Hubs likes his pedestal fan as well. Good luck on the re-fix, Bev.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:51 pm
I prefer fans too. I do not like A/C. However sometimes it is a necessary evil. What I like to do when it gets really hot is to run the A/C for a couple of cycles to get the humidity down and then use the fans to keep the air circulating. I set the thermostat on 80 F so when the house gets too hot it will kick on the A/C for a while to cool down a little bit.
Add me to the list of folks who cannot abide A/C. I hate the cold air, I hate the noise. When my ex lived here, he had A/C in two rooms and I like to have gone crazy!!

I did break down and buy a box fan last year because of the dogs. I put a big pan of ice in front of it and they actually laid near it and got some relief from the heat. For the most part, my house doesn't get that hot - there were only a handful of days last summer when we could "feel the heat" from inside the house.

AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

I had forgotten about this thread....

Last week I got tired of the pipes under my kitchen sink coming apart so while I was at the hardware store picking up something else I picked up a pipe kit that I thought would work for my sink.

I put it together and it worked for a couple of days. Then I tried using my washing machine and the water backed up into the sink, and the pipes came apart.

After pouting for a day, I watched a YouTube video on replacing pipes. Even though their double sink was set up differently than mine, it gave me the basic idea. So I took all the pipes apart , and redid the work. I moved pipes to different locations to help them fit together more snuggly. Also by watching the video I came to realize the uses for the two different shaped washers and where and how to place them.

I know it took me a lot longer than it would have a plumber.....But it sure saved me a lot of money.
Aunt Bridget

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

AuntBridget wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:47 am

Last week I got tired of the pipes under my kitchen sink coming apart so while I was at the hardware store picking up something else I picked up a pipe kit that I thought would work for my sink.

I put it together and it worked for a couple of days. Then I tried using my washing machine and the water backed up into the sink, and the pipes came apart.

After pouting for a day, I watched a YouTube video on replacing pipes. Even though their double sink was set up differently than mine, it gave me the basic idea. So I took all the pipes apart , and redid the work. I moved pipes to different locations to help them fit together more snuggly. Also by watching the video I came to realize the uses for the two different shaped washers and where and how to place them.

I know it took me a lot longer than it would have a plumber.....But it sure saved me a lot of money.
Bridget I am impressed! Way to go. I do some minor things but would never think of working on pipes.. You go girl. You did yourself proud!
Janet Alliesmama

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

AuntBridget wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:47 am

Good for you. Plumbing is beyond me.