Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:34 am During spring cleaning yesterday I decided to clean some dark spots off the large area rug in the "great room" part of my kitchen. Despite regular vacuuming, it had accumulated some "grungy spots" from general use and abuse. The rug is pale yellow and white - a "faded, vintage type pattern".

This rug can't be steam cleaned as it is wool and will shrink, so I used some carpet cleaner and a soft toothbrush to get the dirty spots out. Done and it looked great. UNTIL...I noticed the cleaner had BLEACHED the rug where I sprayed it. It didn't look terrible, since the pattern is yellow and white anyway but I didn't like it and I was quite upset.

Then my daughter suggested doing a gentle scrub of the whole rug with just some cool water and a sponge mop and then strategically BLEACHING some more spots - on purpose! Figuring I had nothing to lose at this point, I let her help me do that and WOW - the rug looks great! It looks as if the "bleached spots" are part of the pattern and it's supposed to be that way. Nobody would ever know by looking at it that it was accidental.

What a relief! I'm sure I was crazy to buy a pale yellow/white rug in the first place but I'm glad we rescued it!!
Sheila great save on fixing your rug.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:34 am During spring cleaning yesterday I decided to clean some dark spots off the large area rug in the "great room" part of my kitchen. Despite regular vacuuming, it had accumulated some "grungy spots" from general use and abuse. The rug is pale yellow and white - a "faded, vintage type pattern".

This rug can't be steam cleaned as it is wool and will shrink, so I used some carpet cleaner and a soft toothbrush to get the dirty spots out. Done and it looked great. UNTIL...I noticed the cleaner had BLEACHED the rug where I sprayed it. It didn't look terrible, since the pattern is yellow and white anyway but I didn't like it and I was quite upset.

Then my daughter suggested doing a gentle scrub of the whole rug with just some cool water and a sponge mop and then strategically BLEACHING some more spots - on purpose! Figuring I had nothing to lose at this point, I let her help me do that and WOW - the rug looks great! It looks as if the "bleached spots" are part of the pattern and it's supposed to be that way. Nobody would ever know by looking at it that it was accidental.

What a relief! I'm sure I was crazy to buy a pale yellow/white rug in the first place but I'm glad we rescued it!!
Great rescue on the rug. I have a rug I made that I used to put under the diningroom table. Right now it needs some major stitching to fix (looks like one of those circular rag rugs). I will have to pull it upstairs once I can move something that weighs more than 10 pounds.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Hubby repaired our side gate yesterday and I darned some more socks.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Not a repair - but some preventive maintenance I'll be doing to day so repairs don't become necessary. I need to tighten the latches/handles on my screen doors - we "slam" them shut when coming in/out so the dogs can't escape and they become "wiggly" after awhile and just need tightening with a screwdriver - so will be doing that.

In terms of a repair, the bottom of my back screen door is separating a little - so will take a look and figure out a way to mend it. The result may not be all that attractive but I need to prevent it from getting worse - and some duct tape - or whatever I end up using - will be a lot cheaper of a fix than a new door.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Only repairs around here were of the darning variety this week.
Jackie
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Jackie, That is what I have been doing too. I did DS's socks last week and hope to do mine today. That will eliminate some bedroom clutter.

Bev