Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
LWolfT

Re: Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Post by LWolfT »

The back door latch was sticking — had a heck of a time getting the door open. But sprayed in some WD-40 - type stuff and it's working just fine.

Our latest repair was an adventure. DH's car has an electronic fob to lock/unlock. It was malfunctioning. Figured it was the battery, but we couldn't figure out how to open the fob! Apparently there several versions of the fob for the year this car was built. (Some had a little latch, some you took the mechanical key out and used it to open the fob, some you just pry apart.)

The owner's manual had the wrong version. I searched the internet and found several YouTube videos, but not for this particular fob. He finally took it to the dealer. The first two service people couldn't open it. They took it to a tech who had to look it up in the database. They finally got it open and showed DH how to do it.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Hubby managed to repair a few of the solar lights yesterday. Love the fact that they are all working, but I figure we could do with a few more, especially around the firepit.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

LWolfT wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:39 pm The back door latch was sticking — had a heck of a time getting the door open. But sprayed in some WD-40 - type stuff and it's working just fine.

Our latest repair was an adventure. DH's car has an electronic fob to lock/unlock. It was malfunctioning. Figured it was the battery, but we couldn't figure out how to open the fob! Apparently there several versions of the fob for the year this car was built. (Some had a little latch, some you took the mechanical key out and used it to open the fob, some you just pry apart.)

The owner's manual had the wrong version. I searched the internet and found several YouTube videos, but not for this particular fob. He finally took it to the dealer. The first two service people couldn't open it. They took it to a tech who had to look it up in the database. They finally got it open and showed DH how to do it.
Nice fix! WD-40 is a staple item around here!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Hubby "fixed" my chair cover. He used that item that all men use....duct tape. Not pretty, but so far it is working to keep the rain off the chair and all the outside cushions.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:21 am Hubby "fixed" my chair cover. He used that item that all men use....duct tape. Not pretty, but so far it is working to keep the rain off the chair and all the outside cushions.
Jackie, I used hot pink duct tape on the dogs' run yesterday. I like to reinforce the fasteners. It's highly unlikely they would come undone - but the duct tape gives me some extra peace of mind, as I live on a very busy street and don't want the dogs getting away and being in danger.

As with your repair - it's not pretty - but it's secure.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:28 am Jackie, I used hot pink duct tape on the dogs' run yesterday. I like to reinforce the fasteners. It's highly unlikely they would come undone - but the duct tape gives me some extra peace of mind, as I live on a very busy street and don't want the dogs getting away and being in danger.

As with your repair - it's not pretty - but it's secure.
Allie use to dig the corkscrew dog anchors up. I finally had to buy a large heavy metal anchor to keep her safely in the yard. Hope your fur babies stay safe.
Janet Alliesmama