Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Post by HappyDaze »

I have to toot my own horn regarding my frugal repair. The handle broke off the glass lid to my slow cooker. Granted, this is a cheap slow cooker and the lid is glass but the handle was cheap plastic.

My old method of dealing with this would have been to get online and purchase a replacement lid. Instead I went to the thrift store and paid .99 cents for a random metal pot lid with a nice handle on tip. I detached the handle and it fit my slow cooker lid just perfectly - and it's metal - better than the original one!

So this was about a one dollar fix - I'm happy and this encourages me to start thinking more creatively!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Re: Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Post by Jackielou »

Good save.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:44 amGood save.
Thank you Jackie. It's fun to think outside the box and come up with alternative (read: CHEAP)) solutions.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

That's awesome stuff. The lid knob on one of our Le Creuset stockpots broke a few years ago, and I performed a similar surgical transplant. No way was I going to pay crazy money for an oem knob.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Congrats and a well earned toot of the horn.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:54 am I have to toot my own horn regarding my frugal repair. The handle broke off the glass lid to my slow cooker. Granted, this is a cheap slow cooker and the lid is glass but the handle was cheap plastic.

My old method of dealing with this would have been to get online and purchase a replacement lid. Instead I went to the thrift store and paid .99 cents for a random metal pot lid with a nice handle on tip. I detached the handle and it fit my slow cooker lid just perfectly - and it's metal - better than the original one!

So this was about a one dollar fix - I'm happy and this encourages me to start thinking more creatively!
Great idea Sheila. Never thought of doing something like that before but will definitely keep it in mind.
Janet Alliesmama