Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Post by Jackielou »

I pulled out my lovely blue cashmire sweater that I bought in Scotland to wear yesterday and noticed some tiny holes. I don't think it's moths but it does need to be repaired so that will be my task for today (as well as darning socks and fixing a few seams).

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

My favourite gloves (usually I wear mittens, but when getting the mail gloves are much better) developed holes in the pointer finger of both hands. I darned them and now have my gloves back.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I have done some sock darning, hemming and seam repairs so far this new year. Most of my repairs seem to be clothing wise. Hubby has repaired his whirly gig wind directional thingy after the wicked wind we had a week or so ago.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

DH get the prize for repairs at our house over the weekend. We spent $1,500 each to have our showers fitted with modern Delta one-tap faucet controls. It cost so such because the plumbers had to cut through the wall and tile, without damaging it since the tile cannot be replaced, and then replumb the mid-century dual taps.

The new modern control in our shower started leaking after only three years. DH started researching it and discovered there's a cartridge that is replaced when there's a leak. He went to Lowe's with the old cartridge and learned that the plumber used a cheap Chinese made cartridge instead of one made by Delta that costs $13 more but will last years longer. He replaced it himself (with a Delta cartridge) for $23 less than it would cost to call the plumber out for a house call.
Mackie

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:43 pm
DH get the prize for repairs at our house over the weekend. We spent $1,500 each to have our showers fitted with modern Delta one-tap faucet controls. It cost so such because the plumbers had to cut through the wall and tile, without damaging it since the tile cannot be replaced, and then replumb the mid-century dual taps.

The new modern control in our shower started leaking after only three years. DH started researching it and discovered there's a cartridge that is replaced when there's a leak. He went to Lowe's with the old cartridge and learned that the plumber used a cheap Chinese made cartridge instead of one made by Delta that costs $13 more but will last years longer. He replaced it himself (with a Delta cartridge) for $23 less than it would cost to call the plumber out for a house call.
Mackie, it's so great that your husband could do that himself and save!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Today I darned a sock that had a hole in it. I don't have a darning egg - I use a burned out light bulb that I keep in my mending basket just for that purpose. It isn't a professional job but I'm hoping to get some more use from that pair of socks.