DGfrugal journal 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

DGfrugal journal 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

This new journal will replace my original one for the rest of 2020. The goal of this journal is to track my frugal habits and challenge myself to develop better ones.

May 1

Goals for the month:
1) plant additional summer vegetables and herbs.
2) test and begin using the solar battery

Goals for the week:
1) complete the shade area
2) continue building the several new garden areas.

Dgflorida

Re: DGfrugal journal 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday-am

Hubs is busy working on the solar battery, evaluating what it will run. I was swamped with other things. Glad he is taking on the project. The house is filled with high power demand appliances. We are looking at how to reduce or substitute. If we lose electricity, what are the most important things to run. During hurricane season, fans and internet. Turns out, it is a can-do for the current battery. Hubs decided to buy a second one which will greatly increase our can-do time. People with generators of course, are going to have more options....at least until they run out of fuel. Our fuel rises every morning.

I have been thinking on a good shade cloth for my newly built garden shade area. 5 am, it hit me. I have the right material already. I have a roll of that orange plastic that they use to block off construction. It is netting, lightweight, allows water through while doing some shading. They do sell it in dark green, but I have orange, so it will be a bit more colorful. LOL.

The dill is transplanted to larger pots. The Thai basil as well. Thai basil does better here than sweet basil. Don't know why. Making tomato/green onion relish almost every day. Great way to use up the imperfect tomatoes. Great way to use the green onion tops. Frugal win.

The new DIY rain barrels(cheap trash cans) are doing well. They are again full, thanks to the last rains. They have lids, so mosquitoes are not much of a problem. I use as much as 20 gallons of water a day on the gardens, so it only takes a few days to use all the water up. Frugal win.

Several years ago, before I got the "new to me" freezer, I bought a high quality, 75 quart cooler on sale. Now that I am going to do more with beans, it is a perfect, bug proof storage area for the big bags of dry beans. It also makes a good side table.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:20 am
Saturday-am

Hubs is busy working on the solar battery, evaluating what it will run. I was swamped with other things. Glad he is taking on the project. The house is filled with high power demand appliances. We are looking at how to reduce or substitute. If we lose electricity, what are the most important things to run. During hurricane season, fans and internet. Turns out, it is a can-do for the current battery. Hubs decided to buy a second one which will greatly increase our can-do time. People with generators of course, are going to have more options....at least until they run out of fuel. Our fuel rises every morning.

I have been thinking on a good shade cloth for my newly built garden shade area. 5 am, it hit me. I have the right material already. I have a roll of that orange plastic that they use to block off construction. It is netting, lightweight, allows water through while doing some shading. They do sell it in dark green, but I have orange, so it will be a bit more colorful. LOL.

The dill is transplanted to larger pots. The Thai basil as well. Thai basil does better here than sweet basil. Don't know why. Making tomato/green onion relish almost every day. Great way to use up the imperfect tomatoes. Great way to use the green onion tops. Frugal win.

The new DIY rain barrels(cheap trash cans) are doing well. They are again full, thanks to the last rains. They have lids, so mosquitoes are not much of a problem. I use as much as 20 gallons of water a day on the gardens, so it only takes a few days to use all the water up. Frugal win.

Several years ago, before I got the "new to me" freezer, I bought a high quality, 75 quart cooler on sale. Now that I am going to do more with beans, it is a perfect, bug proof storage area for the big bags of dry beans. It also makes a good side table.
I am puzzled, I have always used up the entire green onion from the root to the tip of the green. They add a different green shade to salads, taste wonderful in egg salad, tuna salad, and as a condiment on tacos and such. Did you not always do so?

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I understand your question Jackie. Until hubs faced "death" a few years back from his high carbohydrate diet, seeing "green" on or in his food was a charge of "you are feeding me Rabbit food." Therefore, I was limited. I still tip-toe around too much green. The word "salad" was best avoided. Home grown green onions are fairly challenging here. The green onion starter bulbs available to most up north at the appropriate time of year are put out too late for the season down here.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday-thought for the day.

It was about this date 3 years ago that standing beside his hospital bed, I told hubs he had a choice. He could live or he could die. His insistence on a high carbohydrate diet and his refusal to manage his weight had finally put him in the hospital by ambulance. Life was his choice and keto became his lifestyle. I was lucky. My neighbor's husband choice was the food and it killed him. What we eat matters.

Hubs is 100 pounds lighter than he was 3 years ago, no longer actively diabetic, no longer in a wheelchair, no longer in constant pain. His blood pressure is managed and his list of and level of medications is a fraction of what they were before keto.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday-am

Hubs informed me yesterday that rain chances drop over the next 2 weeks. However, this morning, the weather situation looks better. I am concerned that the potted tomatoes and peppers are getting too much sun. I have cleared an area that get more midday shade for the tomatoes. The peppers? They are hot weather peppers, so I am not sure what is the best thing to do. I am watching and they appear to be setting fruit. The tomatoes in the sun were not.

This month, I will make an appointment with my general doctor concerning the abnormal TSH blood reading. The classic approach to a high TSH is a diagnosis of hypothyroidism and treatment with T4. However, I don't have the symptoms of hypothyroidism and I resist being treated for a problem I don't have. Nonetheless, I looked at myself in the mirror last night. I am tan and muscular(despite no gym), not symptomatic hypothyroid. Since peer study has suggested that high T4 increases macular degeneration(which I have), I am not interested in going blind. It is a conflict that I don't look forward to.

Some of my green onions are making seed heads. A surprise. At least one is developing a big bulb. I can't get them out of the sun, so I am thinking how I can make a shade over them. A couple are starting to wither under the heat. Summer is coming.

The second area for the solar panel has been laid out and the grass covered with plastic recycled from old garden soil bags. I asked hubs opinion of the size and location. He said another spot would be better. However, the lawn guy is pretty reckless and I don't trust him not to damage the panels if they are not in a protected area. Hubs agreed with that.

The shade screen along the northeast fence is up using materials I had on hand from another project. I had some problems attaching it to the fence thanks to the passion vine. I have been careful about cutting the passion vine back since there were many baby butterfly caterpillars on it, but this needed to be done. It was a bit rough on my back to do all that work above my head. I really used the gym machines for my back and I don't have anything equivalent here at home to exercise with. I have considered getting a door frame pull up bar, but that really doesn't work the back area I need worked. I miss my gym.