My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

So - my buy nothing new challenge flopped - let's set me up for success with something I'm a little better at ***cough, cough*** -- hopefully.

Today's grocery trip inspired this - I paid $16.77 for $38.50 in groceries after factoring in $2.50 in Checkout 51 and Ibotta rebates.

The rest of the savings was obtained by combining store sales with coupons - and I bought some "rescued produce" for .99 cents a bag - over 2 and a half pounds of carrots and about the same amount of potatoes for .99 each and 3 bananas for .41 cents.

Also got a pound of strawberries for $1.99 and my final price for a 4 pound sack of sugar is $1.29. My final price for 14.32 oz boxes of cinnamon cheerios was $2 each - not great - but that is my "buy price" for cereal - gosh I remember when my "buy price" for cereal was $1 a box!!

I have a big bag of salad mix from my last grocery trip a couple of days ago, a stash of shelf stable almond milk and a lot of other things on hand - the fresh produce I got today will supplement nicely.

Free this weekend, a quart of blueberries from a friend (now washed, dried and in my freezer), a zucchini and 3 tomatoes from my parents' garden. Total groceries for the week beginning today...$16.77.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Re: My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

What a great challenge!!
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm What a great challenge!!
I'm pretty excited about it. Sometimes I hear people say that healthy food is so expensive - and I guess sometimes it can be but I don't agree that it is always so. The "rescued produce" that I buy for example - there is so little "wrong" with it - you can hardly tell and it's an absolute steal. And my round the corner grocery has bags of frozen vegetables for $1.00 - others are $1.19 and up.

I think that if a person is willing to go shopping with an open mind and see what is a good deal, that is half of it. A couple weeks ago I got a big bag of broccoli slaw for $1.50 - I don't recall the regular price - but between $4 and $5 - because it was going to expire in a few days. I ate it all up before that "expiration" date.

I think this will be fun!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I have found it far more difficult to save on groceries during this pandemic primarily because I’m not shopping at Aldi. The store is always so crowded that I just don’t feel comfortable. Kitty has been successfully using Instacart at Aldi and I haven’t tried it yet.

I’ve been shopping mostly through Walmart pickup. Decent prices for the most part but I can’t use coupons. I’ve recently paid more than I’ve ever paid in my life at Walmart for blueberries, $2.88/pint.

I do go into the small Publix near me and combine coupons with sales. Often sale plus coupon is cheaper at Publix. Oatmeal is one example. Last week I used a $5/$30 Winn-Dixie coupon at Publix because they accept competitors coupons.

Good luck with your challenge.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:08 pm So - my buy nothing new challenge flopped - let's set me up for success with something I'm a little better at ***cough, cough*** -- hopefully.

Today's grocery trip inspired this - I paid $16.77 for $38.50 in groceries after factoring in $2.50 in Checkout 51 and Ibotta rebates.

The rest of the savings was obtained by combining store sales with coupons - and I bought some "rescued produce" for .99 cents a bag - over 2 and a half pounds of carrots and about the same amount of potatoes for .99 each and 3 bananas for .41 cents.

Also got a pound of strawberries for $1.99 and my final price for a 4 pound sack of sugar is $1.29. My final price for 14.32 oz boxes of cinnamon cheerios was $2 each - not great - but that is my "buy price" for cereal - gosh I remember when my "buy price" for cereal was $1 a box!!

I have a big bag of salad mix from my last grocery trip a couple of days ago, a stash of shelf stable almond milk and a lot of other things on hand - the fresh produce I got today will supplement nicely.

Free this weekend, a quart of blueberries from a friend (now washed, dried and in my freezer), a zucchini and 3 tomatoes from my parents' garden. Total groceries for the week beginning today...$16.77.
Sheila this looks like a great challenge and I know you will do well. Good luck and happy hunting.. It is exciting when you are able to find something that is cheaper and yet still good to eat.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 am I have found it far more difficult to save on groceries during this pandemic primarily because I’m not shopping at Aldi. The store is always so crowded that I just don’t feel comfortable. Kitty has been successfully using Instacart at Aldi and I haven’t tried it yet.

I’ve been shopping mostly through Walmart pickup. Decent prices for the most part but I can’t use coupons. I’ve recently paid more than I’ve ever paid in my life at Walmart for blueberries, $2.88/pint.

I do go into the small Publix near me and combine coupons with sales. Often sale plus coupon is cheaper at Publix. Oatmeal is one example. Last week I used a $5/$30 Winn-Dixie coupon at Publix because they accept competitors coupons.

Good luck with your challenge.
Florida, do you have Piggly Wiggly supermarkets where you live? I remember shopping at one many years ago while on vacation in Florida.

Charles M. Schultz