My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:18 pm Sheila I ordered it quite a few years ago from Honeyville. Com. for my emergency pantry. I had two huge canisters and now down to the last half of my second canister. I can no longer find it at Honeyville. So looked in to it. The company does not sell directly to the public but referred me to Amazon but as you know Amazon wants you to buy a ton of them at one time. It cost $54.44 for 6 pouches. No longer being sold in the big canisters. Checked at Vitacost, not there. Did find it on Walmart.com but they are out of stock. However they are selling it in a small canister for $29.99. The thing is Amazon is cheaper in the long run if you have the money to invest in to 6 pouches all at one time. It cost approximately $9.09 at Amazon per pouch compared to $29.99 for one canister at Walmart. The canister and the pouch both make (32) 8 oz glasses of milk. It is great for drinking and cooking and using it on cereal but does nothing for adding to coffee. If I should run in to a cheaper place to buy it I will let you know. Wish we lived closer we could share a purchase.. Right now not willing to pay that high price. Glad I still have some left.
Janet, thank you - you went to a lot of work on my behalf! I will ask my daughter if she wants to split a purchase - the $54 upfront cost is too too rich for my blood as well. My daughter is more into keeping a stockpile, emergency pantry, etc. than I am. She arrived here with 90 pounds of rice and 20-some boxes of pasta, etc. etc. - I could go on and on. I insisted (I can't tell her what to do, she's 35) but I insisted she give some of the rice away. She put it into jars and gave some to my brother and sister-in-law and my parents and her ex-husband - we managed to get rid of 30 pounds.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:01 am Janet, thank you - you went to a lot of work on my behalf! I will ask my daughter if she wants to split a purchase - the $54 upfront cost is too too rich for my blood as well. My daughter is more into keeping a stockpile, emergency pantry, etc. than I am. She arrived here with 90 pounds of rice and 20-some boxes of pasta, etc. etc. - I could go on and on. I insisted (I can't tell her what to do, she's 35) but I insisted she give some of the rice away. She put it into jars and gave some to my brother and sister-in-law and my parents and her ex-husband - we managed to get rid of 30 pounds.
Sheila happy to help out a friend. That is a lot of rice! I wish I could eat rice and pasta but due to being diabetic they are both on my rarely eat list but they are great foods to have in a stockpile.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:36 am Sheila happy to help out a friend. That is a lot of rice! I wish I could eat rice and pasta but due to being diabetic they are both on my rarely eat list but they are great foods to have in a stockpile.
She went way overboard when the pandemic hit and they left the city. In a way I get it - but 90 lbs. of rice??? My goodness! I can't complain - much of her stockpile has come in handy - when she cooks she cooks mostly from that and has put many of her spices, etc. in our shared kitchen and told me to help myself.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:25 pm She went way overboard when the pandemic hit and they left the city. In a way I get it - but 90 lbs. of rice??? My goodness! I can't complain - much of her stockpile has come in handy - when she cooks she cooks mostly from that and has put many of her spices, etc. in our shared kitchen and told me to help myself.
Rice is suppose to last indefinitely if stored well. I bought a huge amount a long time ago and stored it in my basement in food grade buckets. After a few years it started to taste different and unfortunately I threw a lot of it away. A while back I started to store water for emergency use. I read that you should not store the jugs on the bare concrete due to somehow the plastic can absorb something from the concrete in to the water in the jug. I am wondering if I should have stored the buckets up off of the floor or if it was just too long in storage?
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:40 pm Rice is suppose to last indefinitely if stored well. I bought a huge amount a long time ago and stored it in my basement in food grade buckets. After a few years it started to taste different and unfortunately I threw a lot of it away. A while back I started to store water for emergency use. I read that you should not store the jugs on the bare concrete due to somehow the plastic can absorb something from the concrete in to the water in the jug. I am wondering if I should have stored the buckets up off of the floor or if it was just too long in storage?
I wish I was more fond of rice. I like a "rice pudding" sort of thing for breakfast in winter - and beyond that I'll have rice & beans or a stir fry with rice a few times a year - I don't want it any more than that.

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:11 pm I wish I was more fond of rice. I like a "rice pudding" sort of thing for breakfast in winter - and beyond that I'll have rice & beans or a stir fry with rice a few times a year - I don't want it any more than that.
I rarely eat rice now due to the high carbs but sometimes I have rice in the house like right now due to Teddi betting sick the other day. I invented a recipe to make it in to a gluten free pizza crust using rice, egg and parmesan cheese and some pizza spices. Martha Stewart will not be calling for the recipe (lol) but it fits my need for gluten free as well as using up the rice. Have you ever tried broccoli casserole? It is great and is a meal alone if you are a vegetarian. It uses rice, broccoli, and cheese to name a few things..
Janet Alliesmama