My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:27 pm I rarely eat rice now due to the high carbs but sometimes I have rice in the house like right now due to Teddi betting sick the other day. I invented a recipe to make it in to a gluten free pizza crust using rice, egg and parmesan cheese and some pizza spices. Martha Stewart will not be calling for the recipe (lol) but it fits my need for gluten free as well as using up the rice. Have you ever tried broccoli casserole? It is great and is a meal alone if you are a vegetarian. It uses rice, broccoli, and cheese to name a few things..
I do like broccoli casserole - I used to make it for my kiddos when they were young - they called it "tree casserole" and I put chicken in it for them.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:29 pm I do like broccoli casserole - I used to make it for my kiddos when they were young - they called it "tree casserole" and I put chicken in it for them.
Oh I have never put chicken in it sounds so good.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:05 pm Oh I have never put chicken in it sounds so good.
I was thinking the same thing. That might just be a meal in my near future with chicken being a great idea.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:20 pm I was thinking the same thing. That might just be a meal in my near future with chicken being a great idea.
My kids used to love it. I guess the name "tree casserole" came from the fact that the broccoli resembled little trees.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

We cooked up some pretty cheap and healthy meals yesterday. Made refried beans that we had with some cheese from the freezer - a really cheap meal.

The chili - not the cheapest meal I've ever made as I added a bag of those "fake meat crumbles" that I got on sale for $3.59 - so that added to the cost right there - but I calculated that it cost about $6.67 to make the whole pot of chili and we will each get 3 meals out of it - so about $1.11 per meal - a little more if you add a few crackers - not too bad.

The soup I made from leftover kale and nappa cabbage that my daughter had used to make us some yummy salads last week. I added vegetable bullion and some leftover potatoes and green beans - pureed some of it to make it thicker and added a pouch of instant mashed potatoes from my daughter's stash. Didn't calculate the cost as I don't know what she paid for the greens - but probably they weren't cheap. At least they were saved from being thrown away.

We still have some cottage cheese with peaches and strawberry yogurt that we got when we volunteered at the food distribution last month - so free breakfast or snack. Also have 2 boxes of raisins from same distribution and those add a lot of goodness to my oatmeal.

I finally found cans of peaches in 100% juice at Save A Lot last week and got 12 cans - so I have a good supply of canned pears and peaches and tomato soup to fall back on if we can't get to the store. Plus, I confess, we have tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper at least once a week.

So - we're doing good at keeping meals pretty healthy if you don't peek at my daughter's little stash of hot pockets and such - but she eats healthy overall.

I am trying to prevent her HUGE stash of rice, oatmeal, pasta, etc. from going to waste - but I don't love rice so much and I only want to eat so much pasta. I did rescue 3 big canisters of oatmeal and move them to the freezer. Luckily I'm not getting sick of having oats for breakfast and I will do some baking with them.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:27 am We cooked up some pretty cheap and healthy meals yesterday. Made refried beans that we had with some cheese from the freezer - a really cheap meal.

The chili - not the cheapest meal I've ever made as I added a bag of those "fake meat crumbles" that I got on sale for $3.59 - so that added to the cost right there - but I calculated that it cost about $6.67 to make the whole pot of chili and we will each get 3 meals out of it - so about $1.11 per meal - a little more if you add a few crackers - not too bad.

The soup I made from leftover kale and nappa cabbage that my daughter had used to make us some yummy salads last week. I added vegetable bullion and some leftover potatoes and green beans - pureed some of it to make it thicker and added a pouch of instant mashed potatoes from my daughter's stash. Didn't calculate the cost as I don't know what she paid for the greens - but probably they weren't cheap. At least they were saved from being thrown away.

We still have some cottage cheese with peaches and strawberry yogurt that we got when we volunteered at the food distribution last month - so free breakfast or snack. Also have 2 boxes of raisins from same distribution and those add a lot of goodness to my oatmeal.

I finally found cans of peaches in 100% juice at Save A Lot last week and got 12 cans - so I have a good supply of canned pears and peaches and tomato soup to fall back on if we can't get to the store. Plus, I confess, we have tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper at least once a week.

So - we're doing good at keeping meals pretty healthy if you don't peek at my daughter's little stash of hot pockets and such - but she eats healthy overall.

I am trying to prevent her HUGE stash of rice, oatmeal, pasta, etc. from going to waste - but I don't love rice so much and I only want to eat so much pasta. I did rescue 3 big canisters of oatmeal and move them to the freezer. Luckily I'm not getting sick of having oats for breakfast and I will do some baking with them.
I hope you can save the stash, or at least most of said stash.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/