Sandi's 2021 Planned $avings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2021 Planned $avings Challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

LWolfT wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:19 am I wanted no more carpet, but ended up with a compromise: no bedroom carpet (which is going to take a couple of years to achieve.) It is so much easier to run a duster or a stick sweeper around and under things in the bedroom and dining room. And they pick up appalling amounts of dust and cat hair ...
The beast (she's some kind of mutt who looks like a shepherd mix, super sweet dog) is not allowed into the hall that leads to the master bedroom. That area is a 'dog fur free' zone because I have to breathe at night. But despite that and the air purifier, fur still gets dragged in there.

The last 2 houses had solid flooring everywhere but when we built this one the builder told us how much the solid options were and I laughed because I knew we could get it done for about 1/3 what they wanted, so I told him to put in carpet in all the untiled areas and we'd deal with it later. I don't know WHY I did that, because the (now) clear and even less $ option is to have had them stain and seal the concrete (houses here are built on concrete slabs). That was a 'thing' for a while, and could have tied us over with very little $ expended AND would have saved us tearing out the carpet and tack strips now. I have no idea how that didn't occur to one of us then.

I love stick vacuums. Anything light is the way to go. We'll still have to drag the larger machine to the area rugs, but it's a small thing by comparison to having to vacuum with it wall to wall. Twice a week, and every time, it's like you've vacuumed up a chihuahua there's so much hair.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

<sigh>

Made mention of increasing prices (he sees this, too, as we shop together) and rumored stock shortages - this was brought on by DH having to look in 3 places to find ONE can of apple pie filling when looking for 15 (I cheat and use the canned variety when I have to make cobblers in volume but feel no urge to peel; there's a memorial service this weekend and I guess I'm peeling a LOT of granny smiths....) and DH has decided that I should "stock up" on staples (GF flours and oatmeal, some canned goods, rice since it can be frozen, quinoa, some GF pastas, PB - "stuff" we use routinely) to pass over any winter supply chain issues.

I see the logic, I just wasn't really in the mood to shop :lol: Or to peel, but here we go.

I'm glad, now, that I got that 2nd 18-month 0% interest card, I can spread the stock-up $ over a few months instead of seeing the $ leave all at once.

It kind of feels like this whole year has been the playing of a financial game - savings goals and rising prices and now a stock up during a continuing pandemic. "Monopoly" has some competition! ;)
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

DH's stepfather died. While not completely unexpected as he was a walking time bomb health-wise, he was only in his early 70s.

Unexpected / related costs: DS needs a new suit (cue growth hormones, the one way to guarantee a growth spurt is to buy this kid clothes), DD needs new appropriate black shoes, and I need a funeral-appropriate dress (I used to lean toward a lot of suit-style staples when working outside the home, now I lean to comfy and mostly floral and colorful stuff - hardly funeral appropriate). As many online and distanced services we've been to, this one is going to be close up and personal. Likely with a bunch of unvaxxed folks, as MIL's sibs are wildly extreme. Should be interesting. :shock:
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So sorry for your families loss. I will keep you all in my prayers.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:26 pm DH's stepfather died. While not completely unexpected as he was a walking time bomb health-wise, he was only in his early 70s.

Unexpected / related costs: DS needs a new suit (cue growth hormones, the one way to guarantee a growth spurt is to buy this kid clothes), DD needs new appropriate black shoes, and I need a funeral-appropriate dress (I used to lean toward a lot of suit-style staples when working outside the home, now I lean to comfy and mostly floral and colorful stuff - hardly funeral appropriate). As many online and distanced services we've been to, this one is going to be close up and personal. Likely with a bunch of unvaxxed folks, as MIL's sibs are wildly extreme. Should be interesting. :shock:
Sandi sorry for your loss.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Late Step-FIL was a nice guy. Better guy than actual FIL. On par with ex-FIL, which is to say he mostly worked 'til he retired and then watched a lot of television, never stuck his nose in your business, always had an interesting story to tell.

Mini-rant: I'm low-key when it comes to clothing, you'll never catch me in clubbing clothes (not since the 80s, LOL), but even with that, I dress at the level of formality regarded as "appropriate" for an event. Torn up (and help me, dirty, like "I was muddin' before I came to Grampy's funeral!") and messy jeans (either too tight or waaay too baggy), untucked and poorly cared for shirts, BASEBALL CAPS - INDOORS - IN A FUNERAL HOME, one in a halter style sundress with no bra (it wasn't THAT warm out), just... I was shocked how the extended family (he had a bunch of kids, who in turn had kids and even a few grandkids, as he had his first child at barely 18). Most of his neighbors dressed appropriately and seemed as confused as I was.

MIL showed up in black leggings, black ankle socks and sneakers, a black t-shirt with a beige windbreaker and a scarf, with a fedora that had a feather. That was different. In 20+ years, I had never before seen her in a hat. Her own offspring mentioned that she dressed better the last time her ex was in town and they had to be in the same room together - and that was at a roller skating rink (grandchild bday).

And there was misbehaving drama between his children from different mothers. Because your father's funeral is where you show your arse, apparently (whether your jeans are hanging on or not).

People are so interesting.